Do women ever get tired of being complimented on their beauty

I was told just yesterday by a client I was Teddy Tahu Rhodes twin as she saw the stage show 'The King And I' during the week. Still not sure if it was a compliment or not. She is a nice woman, so I'll take it as a compliment. She asked if I could sing, I said yes sure, but you might not want to listen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guy-jin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
I used to be very stingy with compliments and simultaneously judgmental, so I'm not sure how I ended up with any friends at all. Nowadays, when I think someone looks nice or that they clearly put a lot of effort into their outfit or hair or whatever and it looks good, I'll say so if appropriate. I realize that wasn't the question at hand, but the reality is that having made this change, I find it does make most people happy to hear those affirmations... And at the worst they simply don't acknowledge it and that's fine too.

For me, I would say I do like to be complimented about something I have done a good job at and put a lot of effort into. My hair, for example, is basically a curly shrub right now, so when I make the effort to stop it from being a bird's nest and make it half presentable, I appreciate someone saying they noticed. Same goes for my weight loss.

The one that I find a bit annoying is the "surprise"/compliment from people when I dress in a suit rather than my usual casual wear. It's always a huge surprise for some reason and they act so overly impressed. It's over the top to the point of being insulting... Like, clearly you thought I was some sort of slob before just because I usually wear jeans or something.

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Sincere compliments are perfectly acceptable. I find the comments on specifics (hair, smile, choice of clothing) to be more genuine than the generalized comments. The compliments about my attitude, personality or accomplishments are even more appreciated than comments on my physical features.

Reactions: lapdog2001

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Sincere compliments are perfectly acceptable. I find the comments on specifics (hair, smile, choice of clothing) to be more genuine than the generalized comments. The compliments about my attitude, personality or accomplishments are even more appreciated than comments on my physical features.

Ditto for me. For some reason, I don't really trust the generalized compliment.

Mule

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
It seems to me that a compliment based on paying attention to how someone looks is the kind of compliment that will give the receiver a little positive boost. For me, that's the whole point of complimenting someone. Noticing changes in how they have dressed or styled their hair shows interest and respect for their effort, and that's what comes across. Without that sincerity, compliments become creepy comments designed to make the receiver feel flattered and obligated.

MarkGerard

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, New York, United States of America
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I've often thought it can't be easy, to say the least, to be a woman and deal with frequent, unwanted, inappropriate male attention. However, some day, you'll be past all that and will have one less thing to complain about. :)

A very good friend in her early forties put on major weight due to stress. I think the world of her and tell her she's hot (yes, it's different with a friend) but she misses the days when she could get on an elevator and men noticed. She misses it big time. Says she used to be "major eye candy." Tells me how working out must be paying off because she's getting recognition from others.

So there's a flip side to it. Depends on who says it, the circumstance, how ulterior the motive it and if one is discreet and respectful.

PS As a reasonably good looking male, when I'm in a happy good mood, when I've gone to a good recovery meeting (yup) and am being mindful and in attitude-of-gratitude mode, strangers on the streets of NYC notice me in a positive way. I don't mind that one bit. :)

Last edited:

NIC160

Experimental Member
Media

That's funny but I understand what you mean. Funny, because, often when I see someone who is incredibly beautiful, head to toe perfection, I'm just overwhelmed and say something general. If I'm able to zero in on a single trait it might mean that I'm not very impressed with the rest of you and am just trying to find something nice to say.

Also, I'm worried about sounding unoriginal. If you compliment a girl on her eyes, or lips, or hair, or backside, particularly if those are the most remarkable parts about them, then it's likely that they've heard similar compliments a hundred times before. I might just say "you're beautiful" so as not to bore them by remarking on the shade of blue that their eyes are... AGAIN. And then I'll try to move on to something more interesting. But I never give compliments that are insincere. General or not. I don't understand why so many women seem to feel this way about compliments, other than that generally people tend to be very insecure. But why would someone bother trying to compliment your looks if they didn't mean it? Most of the time, what's to gain?

ronin001

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Cammer
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Opinion only, as this is a Woman issue topic and only a woman can respond how she feels

Smiles, complements and kind words are free and when used innocently they can make the world a nicer place to live in.
Telling a lady she looks nice; or something she is wearing looks nice are complements that i think most women are ok with and appreciate. I say most as not to make a general statement

Some attempts at giving complements are taken too far; or cause objectification and bad feelings by the receiver. When is a complement not a complement but just a pervish comment ?

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Some attempts at giving complements are taken too far; or cause objectification and bad feelings by the receiver. When is a complement not a complement but just a pervish comment ?
I had walked the 4 miles to visit the dude I was with at the time, and just as I got to his gate a man got out of his car and told me he liked my figure. Mind you, it was winter, and I had on an enormous, shapeless coat. I looked down at myself and was instantly reminded that no clothing can conceal the size of my bosom. I thanked the fella, and was already laughing hysterically by the time I was let into the house, having held it in only long enough for the well-meaning man to be far enough away. To this day, when I run into the dude I was visiting that day (back in 1999 or 2000) he affects the same accent the passing fella had, and says, "I like your figure," and then we share a conspiratorial laugh at our inside joke. It was worded politely, but that guy basically tossed a "nice tits" in my lap. That's not really a nice compliment to give a stranger.

Reactions: ronin001

swingfun

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Nowadays it's just best to keep compliments to oneself unless you know the person. Just so you don't offend them.

JMore45

Experimental Member
Media
I never get tired of compliments that are genuine without motives. It's annoying when the compliments are blatantly a come on and flirtatious.