Do women ever get tired of being complimented on their beauty

Betty_Cocker

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Opinion only, as this is a Woman issue topic and only a woman can respond how she feels

Smiles, complements and kind words are free and when used innocently they can make the world a nicer place to live in.
Telling a lady she looks nice; or something she is wearing looks nice are complements that i think most women are ok with and appreciate. I say most as not to make a general statement

Some attempts at giving complements are taken too far; or cause objectification and bad feelings by the receiver. When is a complement not a complement but just a pervish comment ?

Honestly, I think it depends on the situation, placement and what's going on.

Example: In an elevator, I've given and received compliments on the cologne one is wearing. (Usually I will say something like "do you mind telling me what cologne you are wearing? I'm looking for something for my husband and that's nice.) That tells the guy...no, I'm not hitting on you, I genuinely am interested in the cologne you are wearing. If I get the same, I thank them and give the name of cologne.

Smiles and nods in passing by on the street? Of course, I'm from the South and that's a typical greeting. But anything more would appear as a come-on from a stranger. (unless we are walking in the same direction.)

Sometimes it's difficult to determine "kind words when used innocently" from strangers passing by. I usually can trust my gut instincts.

I never tire of a sincere compliment from friends and family. Or from the occasional compliment from people I don't know.
I like to think I'm a nice person, but am also cautious of the fake or back-handed compliments.

ronin001

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Cammer
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Honestly, I think it depends on the situation, placement and what's going on.

Betty, you are as lovely as you are wise. Please take this as a sincere complement ;)

Ro,

Bardox

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
In my experience, it's not being complimented that a woman will get tired of. It's how and why you compliment her that matters. If you are creative, respectful, and don't repeat yourself too often then her tolerance for compliments is boundless. If you get lazy and/or don't speak sincerely, your compliments will land flat and actually start to annoy.

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I like a sincere compliment! But the perv factor tends to show up when body parts are complimented - tits, ass and legs. It's pretty tough for a man to compliment a woman on those areas without sounding sexual or pervy.

Body parts in general can be a little difficult to compliment, unless you're a personal trainer! So much easier to compliment a dress, someone's hair or fragrance, the speech they just gave, the way they handled a situation, etc.

I like knowing I look good, but I guess I prefer to be complimented on my personality, skills and abilities. Oh, hell, I like being told I have it all! :p

AtYourCervix10

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
yes. they do. i've told many women how beautiful they are and most often they're instantly offended that i didn't compliment them on their mind instead.

I guess that's why women spend two hours reading books in front of the mirror instead of putting on make-up before you go out on a date with them.

Greysun

Expert Member
Media
I've known women who have been offended by poorly delivered compliments, but never met one that wanted people to stop offering compliments. Women put a lot of work into how they look. Well... most of you do. And I for one appreciate it. :D Just attempt to use your brain before you open your mouth and the woman you are complimenting usually responds in kind.

jaap_stam

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Physical compliments can get pretty old - most people are not original. Compliments as come ons only seem to work if there already is physical attraction or the compliment is beyond the ego boosting variation of "you're pretty"

AsianGal

Cherished Member
Media
It really depends. If someone constantly says it (and it's a stranger or someone you don't know well), it might be a big annoying, but otherwise as long as they mean well, it is nice to hear.

lapdog2001

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
As many before have said, context is important. I would never ever compliment a woman on her breasts, ass, figure unless I was already in a relationship with her. A more general comment like "You look nice in that dress" or "I like your hairstyle" might be OK with women I know well (friends, relatives, co-workers), but I don't think I've ever said even that to a complete stranger, as it seem creepy to me.

There are only a few occasions where I would complement a woman on something as specific as breasts, ass, etc. One is the woman I'm involved with, and two is those type of pictures posted here on LPSG. If you post a picture of your boobs, and I like them, I just might complement you on them!

As for me, I'm not a troll, but not Brad Pitt/George Clooney either. On rare occasions I do get complemented by somebody other than my wife, and I've now grown more accustomed to saying 'thanks' instead of trying to brush it off. My wife complements me quite often, and I now accept them graciously.

Reactions: Mercurygirl

boatnik

Worshipped Member
Media
As long as it is truly heart-felt and has no other motivation behind it, complimenting someone on their appearance should always be taken as a positive thing. I never tire of telling my partner how nice she looks when it is appropriate and I truly mean it. I don't just off-handedly throw the compliment out, but sometimes she really does look fabulous - and I tell her.

Likewise, I have gotten a lot of compliments about my appearance through the years from both men and women, and I am always delighted and take it in the vein in which it was intended. It is always nice to be appreciated by someone. It still makes my day.