Do women get more sex than men?

roamingapril

Just Browsing
Media
I know that studies traditionally show that men have more sex partners than women
http://www.durex.com/cm/gss2004Content.asp?intQid=401
but I was wondering if this is still true?

In my own experience talking with friends and observing the comings and goings of my neighbors' late-night partners, all the women seem to have a steady stream of men coming to visit them (even the stuck-up girl next door who claimed she was celibate). The men, in contrast, are either all alone or are lucky if they have one girlfriend.

vibratingfinger

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Who do you think is fucking the girls? Are those men flying in from outer space to fuck women on earth?

There are a lot of guys who get a lot of action. There are also a lot of girls who enjoy receiving a lot of action. And then there are people in between from both sexes and some who don't participate much at all. In the end of the day it all evens out.

D

deleted15807

Take a look:

The Myth, the Math, the Sex - New York Times

In study after study and in country after country, men report more, often many more, sexual partners than women.

One survey, recently reported by the federal government, concluded that men had a median of seven female sex partners. Women had a median of four male sex partners. Another study, by British researchers, stated that men had 12.7 heterosexual partners in their lifetimes and women had 6.5.

But there is just one problem, mathematicians say. It is logically impossible for heterosexual men to have more partners on average than heterosexual women. Those survey results cannot be correct.

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Gotta love those mathematicians! :biggrin1:

I've never had much, whether due to shyness or something else, or both, I don't know. The other thing too is that I also have to make sure the guy isn't a psycho! I know that I want more than I have had.

roamingapril

Just Browsing
Media
But there is just one problem, mathematicians say. It is logically impossible for heterosexual men to have more partners on average than heterosexual women. Those survey results cannot be correct.
Yes, the average number of partners should be the same for men and women (which means the surveys are innacurate), but that's not really what I'm asking...

It just seems that there are more sexually-active women around me than sexually-active men. So here's my hypothesis: perhaps the majority of women are getting sex, but most men aren't, because the women are all drawing from a small pool of "desirable males", but those "desirable males" aren't very choosy about which women they sleep with.

Note that the traditional stereotype is exactly the opposite. The stereotype is that the majority of men are having sex, but the majority of women are pure and virginal, presumably because the men are drawing from a small pool of "slutty women" and the "slutty women" aren't very choosy about which men they sleep with.

I would assume that the surveys are innacurate because people are trying to conform to this stereotype--men are overestimating their number of partners and women are underestimating them.

D

deleted15807

I would assume that the surveys are innacurate because people are trying to conform to this stereotype--men are overestimating their number of partners and women are underestimating them.

That is what the scientists have conculded. Someone is lying.

B_desktopspoon

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
not only do they but they were made too...ive planned and seen it lots...my gal hs gone up to more strangers tha i member in public,parks,train stations..trains.pubs,clubs sport venues cocets etc...i pick one out she goes up hnds them a note saying she wants to make their cock hard then cum right here right now...had hanful of knockbacks and has had more cocks in public than ive ever had more than one pussy.

B_andyo

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well men and women have the same amount of sex ( straight) but other have more partners than others... but the ratio still is going to be 1:1..

B_New End

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Take a look:

In study after study and in country after country, men report more, often many more, sexual partners than women.

One survey, recently reported by the federal government, concluded that men had a median of seven female sex partners. Women had a median of four male sex partners. Another study, by British researchers, stated that men had 12.7 heterosexual partners in their lifetimes and women had 6.5.

Let me just beat this logic into the ground right now.

If there was only one woman on an island, and 200 men, the woman could have sex with all of them.

The men would each report only 1 sexual partner
the woman would report 200

I think it does have alot to do with "eligible men" woman can be picky and choosy, at least where I live... even the most unattractive women get more partners than the men here. It's a military area, (highest military per capita county in the nation) so the male to female ratio is skewed in favor of women being able to take their pick.

I think men totally count everything as a "sexual encounter", while women are much more choosy when reporting what was a "sexual encounter"

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
if you have 50 women and 50 men, not counting gay sex, how can the men get more sex than the women?

i think you'll find that men often over estimate or lie that they've slept with many.
women often under estimate or lie that they've slept with few.

B_New End

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
if you have 50 women and 50 men, not counting gay sex, how can the men get more sex than the women?

i think you'll find that men often over estimate or lie that they've slept with many.
women often under estimate or lie that they've slept with few.

Doh, I'm a dumbass. Well, I never relaly liked statistics, because their samples are never really that extensive.

But I do wonder how they figured they got a statistically good sample base. Was religion, income, height, parental marriage situation, weight taken into consideration? What about race, intelligence, education, emotional stablility or age?

That's why I really dislike quantitative psychology and sociology.

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
People tend to lie about their sex lives, so the survey is probably just a compilation of the "most frequently given" estimations and exaggerations.

The survey results should not be viewed as anything other than "what kind of sex life people WANT to be having."

AMikkell

Just Browsing
Media
Take a look:

I see two problems with that article, three if you count the entire first paragraph. The first is that it doesn't take into account that there are more females than males. The equation A = B, where A is the average given by males, and B is the average given by females, is completely ridiculous. Like New End pointed out, total number's are important. A more accurate equation would be A*M = B*F. Average number of partners had by males * number of males = average number of partners had by females * number of females. Since there are more females, females having fewer partners makes sense.

The other problem is that the numbers reported are medians, not means. Median means the number in the exact middle of all reported values. If one person says 1 when most other people said between 5 and 12, you would get a median of 6.5, but an average that is much higher.

I agree that the numbers are probably inaccurate, but not impossible, since we don't know all relevant information.

Channelwood

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay

The author clearly does not understand the difference between mean (average) and median. There is absolutely no reason to conclude that the survey results cannot be correct simply from these figures. If you disagree ask anyone with a rudimentary knowledge of statistics.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Who do you think is fucking the girls? :smile: I thought the same thing. Are those men flying in from outer space to fuck women on earth?

There are a lot of guys who get a lot of action. There are also a lot of girls who enjoy receiving a lot of action. And then there are people in between from both sexes and some who don't participate much at all. In the end of the day it all evens out.
That sounds about right. :smile:

The NYT article which sargon20 quotes is interesting. Especially the following paragraphs:
The Myth, the Math, the Sex - New York Times - One is that men are going outside the population to find partners, to prostitutes, for example, who are not part of the survey, or are having sex when they travel to other countries. The concept of the outside population in this survey is a tad troubling. Do men really not count sex with prostitutes, or sex had in other countries, or on vacation? :eek: :confused: I have heard that in Japanese culture businessmen are allowed to cheat so long as they are at least three rivers away from home.

Another, of course, is that men exaggerate the number of partners they have and women underestimate. I think that this is the most accurate thing said thus far.

Dr. Aral said she cannot determine what the true number of sex partners is for men and women, but, she added, “I would say that men have more partners on average but the difference is not as big as it seems in the numbers we are looking at.”

Dr. Gale is still troubled. He said invoking women who are outside the survey population cannot begin to explain a difference of 75 percent in the number of partners, as occurred in the study saying men had seven partners and women four. Something like a prostitute effect, he said, “would be negligible.” The most likely explanation, by far, is that the numbers cannot be trusted.

Ronald Graham, a professor of mathematics and computer science at the University of California, San Diego, agreed with Dr. Gale. After all, on average, men would have to have three more partners than women, raising the question of where all those extra partners might be.
“Some might be imaginary,” Dr. Graham said. “Maybe two are in the man’s mind and one really exists.” Or maybe one out of every three people whom a straight man has sex with are men. :tongue::wink:

Dr. Gale added that he is not just being querulous when he raises the question of logical impossibility. The problem, he said, is that when such data are published, with no asterisk next to them saying they can’t be true, they just “reinforce the stereotypes of promiscuous males and chaste females.”

In fact, he added, the survey data themselves may be part of the problem. If asked, a man, believing that he should have a lot of partners, may feel compelled to exaggerate, and a woman, believing that she should have few partners, may minimize her past. BINGO!

“In this way,” Dr. Gale said, “the false conclusions people draw from these surveys may have a sort of self-fulfilling prophecy.”