Do you all think this cop will be punished?

Attila the Hung

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Rochester Police Arrest Woman For Videotaping Them From Her Front Yard

By Carlos Miller

A woman was arrested for videotaping police from her front yard in Rochester, New York.

Emily Good, 28, was recording a traffic stop where police had a man handcuffed on May 12th. The video was uploaded to Blip TV today.
The cop who arrested her has been identified as Mario Masic, according to the Rochester Indy Media.

A man named Mario Masic who happens to be a police officer in western New York also runs a business called Harvest Moon Malamutes.
mariomasic.jpg

You can friend him on Facebook here. Or you can email him through his business email address at harvestmoonmalamutes@live.com.

The video, which has since gone viral, shows Masic hassling Good with absurd notions after he notices her recording.

“I don’t feel safe with you standing behind me, so I’m going to ask you to go into your house,”

“You seem very anti-police … due to what you said to me before you started taping me.”

It is not clear what Good said before she started recording, but if she said anything threatening, they would have arrested her at that moment.
She ended up getting handcuffed and taken away after she refused to walk into her house, even though she was clearly on her own property.
A friend or relative ended up taking the camera and we see her being led away.

Neighbors who witnessed the interaction confirmed she had done nothing wrong.

Meanwhile, the man they had originally handcuffed was released.

Mickey H. Osterreicher, attorney for the National Press Photographers Association, fired off a letter to Rochester Police Chief James Sheppard demanding that Good's charges be dropped.

Sheppard told Osterreicher and the Democrat and Chronicle newspaper that he has ordered an investigation, which normally is police talk for sweeping it under the carpet until the media attention dies down.
--
The video of the event

http://blip.tv/indy-tv/rochester-pol...c-stop-5297870

------

So who thinks the cop will be punished for illegally arresting a woman who was minding her own business on her own property?

Again people, we are letting cops slowly deprive us of our rights.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I started a thread last year titled Photography Is Not A Crime, and discussed how very much of a police state we're turning into.

This is one of my pet issues: to answer your question in the title, NO. He will not be punished, and I doubt she can sue, or if she tries that she'll be successful.

Attila the Hung

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I watched the tape and while I don't agree with him arresting her, I would have went into my home if that is what the officer felt I needed to do.

The question though is why would you feel the need to go into your house when you are not breaking any laws or interfering with what the police are doing? That cop had NO RIGHT to order a citizen to go into their home in the first place, hell he didn`t even have the right to tell her to get off the sidewalk let alone to go inside her house, the police`s job is to enforce the law, not ordering people around on a whim.

The charges should be dropped, the city should settle with her and the cop should be put on immediate administrative leave for six months and mandated to attend classes in how to deal with the public, or better yet fire the cop and let it serve as a warning to other police officers to keep them in check and remind them what their job really is, which is to enforce the law, and clearly this woman wasn`t doing anything illegal so the cop should have just went about his business and left the woman alone.

Attila the Hung

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I started a thread last year titled Photography Is Not A Crime, and discussed how very much of a police state we're turning into.

This is one of my pet issues: to answer your question in the title, NO. He will not be punished, and I doubt she can sue, or if she tries that she'll be successful.

I know man, this fucker is gonna get off scott free and go right on doing the same kind of shit, while this woman will probably still have this arrest on her record even though she wasn`t charged with a crime, its a fucking travesty honestly.

The way I see it placing a citizen under arrest for disobeying an order that you dont have the legal right to give should universally result in automatic termination except in the most exigent circumstances, but since the police are the agents of the state and essentially their henchmen this will of course never happen.

HiddenLacey

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The question though is why would you feel the need to go into your house when you are not breaking any laws or interfering with what the police are doing? That cop had NO RIGHT to order a citizen to go into their home in the first place, hell he didn`t even have the right to tell her to get off the sidewalk let alone to go inside her house, the police`s job is to enforce the law, not ordering people around on a whim.

The charges should be dropped, the city should settle with her and the cop should be put on immediate administrative leave for six months and mandated to attend classes in how to deal with the public, or better yet fire the cop and let it serve as a warning to other police officers to keep them in check and remind them what their job really is, which is to enforce the law, and clearly this woman wasn`t doing anything illegal so the cop should have just went about his business and left the woman alone.

As I said, I agree she shouldn't have been arrested, same goes for the charges. However, personally if I were standing somewhere watching an officer do something and was asked to move back I would do it. I would feel like I should.

I haven't a clue what it would feel like to put my life on the line everyday to keep people safe and have a moment of uneasiness in the night where I felt uncomfortable with people standing in the dark watching me. I realize that she wasn't doing anything wrong, but maybe she had a gun for all he knew? I just think it's courtesy.

Attila the Hung

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
As I said, I agree she shouldn't have been arrested, same goes for the charges. However, personally if I were standing somewhere watching an officer do something and was asked to move back I would do it. I would feel like I should.

I haven't a clue what it would feel like to put my life on the line everyday to keep people safe and have a moment of uneasiness in the night where I felt uncomfortable with people standing in the dark watching me. I realize that she wasn't doing anything wrong, but maybe she had a gun for all he knew? I just think it's courtesy.

Ah me laidey, your submissive side is shining thru here lol! (not meant as an insult btw). If you feel more comfortable obeying the cops order should you have been in the same position then that is your prerogative, but if I had been in that same position lets just say I would have reminded that cop of just what his job entails and then some without being rude of course, only to be then arrested on my own property even though I was comitting no crime whatsoever.

HiddenLacey

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Ah me laidey, your submissive side is shining thru here lol! (not meant as an insult btw). If you feel more comfortable obeying the cops order should you have been in the same position then that is your prerogative, but if I had been in that same position lets just say I would have reminded that cop of just what his job entails and then some without being rude of course, only to be then arrested on my own property even though I was comitting no crime whatsoever.

:tongue: I didn't answer your question actually. I don't believe he'll be punished, should he be, yes, but I'm not sure what should happen exactly. I don't think he should lose his job, maybe a formal apology for being excessive? All charges should be dropped of course, there should have never been any to begin with.

Please don't take what I said to mean that I would passively accept orders when I shouldn't. IF the officer had been inappropriate with the gentleman he had in cuffs I would have stood there and refused to leave.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I know man, this fucker is gonna get off scott free and go right on doing the same kind of shit, while this woman will probably still have this arrest on her record even though she wasn`t charged with a crime, its a fucking travesty honestly.

The way I see it placing a citizen under arrest for disobeying an order that you dont have the legal right to give should universally result in automatic termination except in the most exigent circumstances, but since the police are the agents of the state and essentially their henchmen this will of course never happen.

In order for me to get this apartment I moved into this past February, I needed to verify two things: that I've never been evicted and I've never been arrested. I'd hate to have to explain anything like that.

Here in FtL there are two demographics under the close scrutiny of the police: African Americans and gay men. AAs have a long and checkered history with the police, but this intense focus on gays is new to me.

I work in a bar and keep irregular, late hours. Subsequently, I no longer ride a bike to work because I'd get stopped on my way home. I have a coworker who lives fewer than four blocks from the bar who was stopped and searched for no probable cause other than walking at 3:00 while gay. He was found with a a couple of Xanax for which he didn't have a prescription and now his life is effectively ruined.

And in related news...

Attila the Hung

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
:tongue:

I didn't answer your question actually. I don't believe he'll be punished, should he be, yes, but I'm not sure what should happen exactly. I don't think he should lose his job, maybe a formal apology for being excessive? All charges should be dropped of course, there should have never been any to begin with.

That sounds about right.

Please don't take what I said to mean that I would passively accept orders when I shouldn't. If the officer had been inappropriate with the gentleman he had in cuffs I would have stood there and refused to leave.

Submissive yet fiery tempered too, I likey a lot!:biggrin1: Seriously though its good to hear you say that.

Hoss

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Rochester Police Arrest Woman For Videotaping Them From Her Front Yard

By Carlos Miller

A woman was arrested for videotaping police from her front yard in Rochester, New York.

Emily Good, 28, was recording a traffic stop where police had a man handcuffed on May 12th. ...........................

Rochester Indy Media.

A man named Mario Masic who happens to be a police officer in western New York also runs a business called Harvest Moon Malamutes.
mariomasic.jpg

You can friend him on Facebook here. Or you can email him through his business email address at harvestmoonmalamutes@live.com.

“I don’t feel safe with you standing behind me, so I’m going to ask you to go into your house,”

“You seem very anti-police … due to what you said to me before you started taping me.”

It is not clear what Good said before she started recording, but if she said anything threatening, they would have arrested her at that moment.
She ended up getting handcuffed and taken away after she refused to walk into her house, even though she was clearly on her own property.
A friend or relative ended up taking the camera and we see her being led away.

Neighbors who witnessed the interaction confirmed she had done nothing wrong.

Meanwhile, the man they had originally handcuffed was released.

Mickey H. Osterreicher, attorney for the National Press Photographers Association, fired off a letter to Rochester Police Chief James Sheppard demanding that Good's charges be dropped.

Sheppard told Osterreicher and the Democrat and Chronicle newspaper that he has ordered an investigation, which normally is police talk for sweeping it under the carpet until the media attention dies down.
--
The video of the event

http://blip.tv/indy-tv/rochester-pol...c-stop-5297870

------

So who thinks the cop will be punished for illegally arresting a woman who was minding her own business on her own property?

Again people, we are letting cops slowly deprive us of our rights.

Point 1, the cops ask you to head inside, whatever reason, just do it. She could have kept making a video from inside.

Point 2, she was in back of the cop. Of course he felt uneasy, there's no way to know if she had a weapon.

Point 3, she shouldn't have been arrested.

Point 4, so the original arrested man was released. That happens.

Point 5, the cop will only face a form of punishment if the woman files a suit (maybe a civil rights thing?) She may not be able to win but if a suit is filed it will cause the cops and the city of Rochester to rethink their policies.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
The woman should have never been arrested for that.
However, given how drunk with power some cops are and knowing how the system works, it would have been a smart decision to just go inside and wait for the idiotic cop to leave. Even if you're totally in the right, we still have to pick our battles carefully. I certainly wouldn't have picked this time to fight for my rights since the solution to end the strife was pretty minor and posed no real threat to anyone's personal freedoms.

Attila the Hung

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay

I clicked on that link and after reading that story and the one about the former two tours Marine and father of two Jose Guerena (article here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/25/jose-guerena-arizona-_n_867020.html)getting shot 71 times by SWAT team members in a botched operation and the attempted coverup of that debacle by the chief of police and its union I gotta say I am seeing red and am enraged that this kind of thing can happen and that the criminals/cops responsible for this are more than likely going to get away scott free, this is madness!!

Those men are criminals and should be doing hard time for life, yet they will likely get away with it scott free, what the fuck is going on in your country? And recently I came accross an article that pointed out that the US is currently incarcerating people at a higher rate than the Soviet NKVD and state police did back in Stalin`s era, that is a seriously fucked up statistic if true, mindboggling really.

And what is most bothersome to me in all of this is that there is not a single politician stepping forward and saying something to raise the issue and do something about cops getting out of control, if some of them started raising the issue and bringing more attention to the problem perhaps something might get done, but of course that is wishful thinking on my part.

MercyfulFate

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I clicked on that link and after reading that story and the one about the former two tours Marine and father of two Jose Guerena (article here: Jose Guerena Killed: Arizona Cops Shoot Former Marine In Botched Pot Raid shot 71 times by SWAT team members in a botched operation and the attempted coverup of that debacle by the chief of police and its union I gotta say I am seeing red and am enraged that this kind of thing can happen and that the criminals/cops responsible for this are more than likely going to get away scott free, this is madness!!

Those men are criminals and should be doing hard time for life, yet they will likely get away with it scott free, what the fuck is going on in your country? And recently I came accross an article that pointed out that the US is currently incarcerating people at a higher rate than the Soviet NKVD and state police did back in Stalin`s era, that is a seriously fucked up statistic if true, mindboggling really.

And what is most bothersome to me in all of this is that there is not a single politician stepping forward and saying something to raise the issue and do something about cops getting out of control, if some of them started raising the issue and bringing more attention to the problem perhaps something might get done, but of course that is wishful thinking on my part.

We live in a quasi police state that's getting stronger by the day. The cop that murdered Oscar Grant and said he thought it was his taser got out of jail in a few months.

For shooting an unarmed black man who was face down on the ground and was shot in the back.

America should be protesting constantly over this fascist idiocy.

Attila the Hung

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Courthouse News Service

Came accross this sickening incident today, and all I gotta say is that the cops involved in this travesty are lucky the boy is not a member of my family, because if he were I would have shot them dead for what they did, what happened to that poor kid is unforgivable and he will be scarred for life as a result, and of course the cops will get away with it scott free.... your police force is totally out of control as they are clearly drunk with power because they are simply never held accountable for anything they do even when they kill people in cold blood, what kind of people is American society allowing to become police officers?

I mean seriously what the fuck is going on here? I feel terrible for this kid, this will haunt him and he already has to live with all the stigmas that come with being mentally impaired and now this shit? fucking disgusting, sickening really and the kind of thing that will eventually lead to some serious violence against law enforcement agencys in the future if things aren`t addressed soon, eventually shit will hit the fan and your gonna start seeing a lot more cops getting killed which in turn will make them even more dangerous and aggressive on the job than they already are, not a pleasant thought.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
We live in a quasi police state that's getting stronger by the day. The cop that murdered Oscar Grant and said he thought it was his taser got out of jail in a few months. For shooting an unarmed black man who was face down on the ground and was shot in the back.

Hate to break it to you, but these "accidents" are nothing new within certain impoverished areas and certain racial demographics in our society. They've had to deal with excessive profiling and cops who are "drunk with power" more than most people can really fathom. The things that happened to Emily Good and Jose Guerena shouldn't happen to anyone, but I doubt many people will really take the time to understand or properly combat the issue since those who usually voice concern about these kinds of things are usually written off as someone "playing the victim" or looking for special rights. I hope one day this will start to change, but I won't hold my breath.

Last edited:

FuzzyKen

Expert Member
Media
Most do not understand that this started many years ago with the videotaped beating of Rodney King in the Los Angeles Suburbs and the subsequent events with the Los Angeles Police under the "leadership" of Daryl Gates.

For decades this kind of behavior is like the tide coming in and going out.

What is really sad is that incidents make the work a great deal more difficult for all the great men and women out there who are trying to have a career in Law Enforcement and who because of their own moral convictions always do the RIGHT thing. One bad apple can destroy an entire department.

Unfortunately, the problem is that very often when these events get out of hand the problems are multi-fold in that there may be a few officers in a large department who indeed are "out of countrol" and one in a high level management capacity that let's them get away with it. It is a very difficult job and it is unfortunate that occasionally people with authority complexes and psychiatric problems do make it through. Most officers and deputies are hard working individuals who care. This is not the standard rule it is the exception to the rule.

MercyfulFate

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Hate to break it to you, but these "accidents" are nothing new within certain impoverished areas and certain racial demographics in our society. They've had to deal with excessive profiling and cops who are "drunk with power" more than most people can really fathom. The things that happened to Emily Good and Jose Guerena shouldn't happen to anyone, but I doubt many people will really take the time to understand or properly combat the issue since those who usually voice concern about these kinds of things are usually written off as someone "playing the victim" or looking for special rights. I hope one day this will start to change, but I won't hold my breath.

Oh I'm well aware they aren't new, but with the internet and prevalence of video cameras everyone can see the pigs pull their bullshit now.

Complaint alleges police tasered, beat mentally handicapped Ohio teen | The Raw Story

20 police swarm a 17 year old mentally handicapped kid and beat him.

Pigs are out of control. Mind you Pigs and Police are two different things to me.