Do you apprehend your menopause?

huguest

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I always thought that menopause, just like andropause, was something to dread for.

For men, it's just so bad, with all kind of undesired side effect. But for women, I'm starting to think that it's got some good and some bad.

It's not just black anymore, in menopause, you don't have anymore "period of the month", your hormone are more balanced, less mood swing. But you got hot flash.
There's are some women's on LPSG that are in menopause, are you more happy?

For those who are not in menopause, do you apprehend that period of your life?

Does it have that bad connotation like andropause for men?

I understand that everybody will pass by that stage in life, but since it's a "women's issue" I'm interested in your point of view.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It is not my understanding that menopause creates hormonal balance, but rather the opposite. My mood swings are almost never from the hormones associated with menopause. Mine are more often associated with insulin and seratonin, and if I'm on a prescription amphetamine, as I sometimes am, adrenaline.

I'm not yet ready for menopause. I would still like motherhood to be an option.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
Menopause is the rebalance after perimenopause, which is when women get hot (or even cold) flashes.
It's the cessation of all periods, as well. However, with less estrogen, women do have different health concerns, from thinning bones to higher chances of heart problems. Basically, the small amount of testosterone starts to assert itself.
I'm in a slow, not that bad perimenopause.
Some migraines, first in my life, some unstable temperatures, so I am cold or hot, not in between very often.

It is what it is. I handle some symptoms. I live with others.
Do I dread it? No.

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I started perimenopause in my late thirties and have been in full menopause for about six years. It was pretty early I guess.

Was I apprehensive? Maybe a tiny bit. I didn't know what to expect because my mother died before she experienced it herself, so I kind of felt like a pioneer. In the end it wasn't that bad. I just dealt with each symptom as it arose. I'm pretty happy without periods in my life. Libido is good and I feel good! Just another milestone on the journey of life.

If I had to offer advice, I'd tell women to seek medical help if they need it, acupuncture might help, invest in good air conditioning and there's nothing wrong with sleeping on towels! Tell people what you're going through so they understand why you stuck your head in the freezer or decided to stand in the snow for twenty minutes. It's a natural part of life, so don't be ashamed. Laugh about it. It doesn't make you old. I'm still hot - sometimes it just happens in flashes. :D

I'm late perimenopausal and I don't dread it.
It's part of the cycle of life if you're a woman and I believe it's just best to embrace that new reality
rather than struggle with it.
Life is hard enough.
I've found a reduction in my libido and I'm kinda grateful for it.
I've gone from 5 partners, to 3 which was the perfect number for a long time.
Now down to one monogamous partner and a hugely demanding career that I'm passionate about.
It's entirely possible a lot of my excess sex drive has been sublimated by my work drive but regardless, I'm happy.
Energy levels are really good but I've noticed my hair thinning and my metabolism slowing and having to watch what
I eat for the first time in my life.
Spottly periods and moderate to sever cramping for the first time ever but you just deal with the symptoms as they arise.
If and when symptoms be come too unbearable I'm planning on consulting with a Naturopathic Physician.
I choose not to go down the HRT route because my family has a history of breast cancer.

I think getting as much information as possible and exploring your options helps dispel a lot of fear of the unknown.