Do you call people out who say bad things about your ethnicity or others'?

playainda336

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I was referring to stuff like my grandmother saying she didn't understand why the niggers at the grocery store didn't like her because she always treated them nicely. Or my sister sending out essays about how Hispanic immigrants are destroying "American" culture.
Wow. That's horrible.

I do say things when people talk about other ethnicities/cultures/social groups all the time. Like I was hanging out with people one time and they made some "Jew jokes" and I was like, "Wow...are you serious?"

Now, when I said it, it wasn't in, "I'm so going to beat you down for that." but in a tone to let them know that I took a little offense to that, but let's try to keep it cleaner. I really attempt not to jump down anyone's throat about race jokes unless they really mean it and were trying to offend someone.

Especially as a minority, if a group jokes on another racial group while you are present, 99% chance they joke on yours while you're not. Just facts.

B_Jennuine73

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Being a white female, I have not been racially discriminated against.
I was raised in a small, white town, to be racist and homophobic. When I asked "Why are they worse than us?" "Why are they bad?" and questions like that, I was yelled at and told "They just are"
My parents also wanted me to know that all homosexuals should be put on an island and shot. AIDS was god's way to kill them all...etc.

My brother took it all in, but I didn't. I hardly see my parents anymore because they say those kinds of things in front of my 7 yr old daughter, and she doesn't need to hear those hateful, destructive comments.

So, I teach my daughter everyone is equal, no one is better than everyone else and everyone is special.
She attended her first gay pride parade this summer and it will not be her last. She has friends from different backgrounds and that's the way I want it.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I dont mind if they say I have black man's cock lol

You better give it back before the black guy you borrowed it from figures out he really is missing something. :biggrin1:

Being a white female, I have not been racially discriminated against.
I was raised in a small, white town, to be racist and homophobic. When I asked "Why are they worse than us?" "Why are they bad?" and questions like that, I was yelled at and told "They just are"
My parents also wanted me to know that all homosexuals should be put on an island and shot. AIDS was god's way to kill them all...etc.

My brother took it all in, but I didn't. I hardly see my parents anymore because they say those kinds of things in front of my 7 yr old daughter, and she doesn't need to hear those hateful, destructive comments.

So, I teach my daughter everyone is equal, no one is better than everyone else and everyone is special.
She attended her first gay pride parade this summer and it will not be her last. She has friends from different backgrounds and that's the way I want it.

Jennuine, I love you for raising your daughter to love all people of all backgrounds. It makes me smile when I see a mom or dad that takes their kids to things like Gay Pride. My kids will go, I just need to make sure the naked guys aren't there on the motorcycles.

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Usually I don't. It's their problem not mine. If it were someone that I liked or felt a possible friendship with I would.

I have had some people at work (customers, usually older folks) say things bad about my own ethnicity and I just ignore them.

I always speak up. This does not mean I always tell them what I am. When anti-Arab sentiment, anti-Hispanic, anti-Asian...well, anti-anyone for ethnicity or sexuality or gender, appear, I speak up and make clear that we are all equal from within. To ignore it, is to perpetuate. You do not have to say what your background is; but, it is a responsibility to fight prejudicial thoughts. Do I tell them I am an Iraqi by birth? Rarely at the start, about half of the time it will be revealed at some point. Usually in the manner of "You don't like Iraqis?" to which they respond that they do not, and then I mention they like me- it's hugely enjoyable to see them suddenly flummoxed! Do I shout them down when they make bigoted comments? Always. And it works in all directions as well- I have dealt with the 2 Lebanese businessmen who speak ill of women and of Americans. What frightens them most, is they know where I am from.

Now, clearly mem0101; it is a different scenario in business situations when dealing with a customer. It can be uncomfortable, and you need to decide what you are willing to accept. I have been in those sticky situations and those are the only times I have been tempted to hold my tongue- I was terminated from employment at least a few times for this disgraceful behavior (as a hotel desk clerk, it happened twice). On the good side, I have also been given compliments (though never a pay increase) from some employers. Eventually, I ended up working in accounting, where the attitudes are less likely to be brought in from a deep-money-lined-pockets outsider. If it happens within the workplace from another employee-or employer, I have legal rights. It is not in me to stay silent for any length of time, I did that too much as a child. In my literary career; I have been fortunate, as so far, none have crossed these lines.