Do you consider having sex with a person who has a mental genetic illness taboo?

MTHgasm

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Like bi-polar or schizophrenia? Assuming you use protection and birth control like the nuva ring every time....

I am bi-polar with some not so positive life experiences. But I am beginning to control the cycling with a minimum of medicine. As well as taking medicine all at one time instead throughout the day and night which is annoying (taking it throughout the day). I think these diseases are real but manageable with practice as well as a desire to feel happy and positive.

One thing that has helped me recently is adopting a technique used by soldiers....By simply making the choice to not focus on fear and failure (or in their situation dying). Not nullifying emotions but simply not focusing on that part of a situation because it is something I don't do.

Symphonic

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
No. Having sex with people who are mentally ill, out of control, and unable to function would be the taboo.

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I think you are part of a very large minority who have something like this. In my case it is chronic depression. How we handle our inheritance is up to us, as it would be for any person with an inherited condition. Think arthritis, type I diabetes, or Woody Guthrie's illness I forget what it's called but it was 50/50 that he could pass it on to his children....

I early in my life decided not to reproduce if I could help it. But the need for intimacy and companionship cannot be gainsaid if one wants to remain sane and socialized. And the luck of the draw is that despite several chronic conditions other than my mental health, I remained fertile and I did reproduce. The children resulting are marvelous and miraculous and I sincerely believe they were fated.

If you are a functioning human whose illness is under control it is your right as a human being to happiness, and that includes sexual happiness. A diabetic takes their meds and watches their health and contirbutes to society and enjoys family life too. So do those with mental health issues that they have overcome.

the_reverend

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
i've dealt with depression and have a history of it in my family. i've dated and hooked up with girls who've been both depressed and bipolar. i see nothing wrong or taboo with it. in fact, following that line of thinking too far, you get into Mengele style ideas of eugenics, where the mentally ill and unstable have to be sequestered, sterlized or euthanized to remove from the gene pool.

the only taboo i could see would be taking advantage of someone's mental instability or impairment to have sex with them.

lokican

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
As long as the person can actually consent to what they are doing, then fine. Down syndrome or Autism is a different story

B_coldnose

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Just as a note people do not have mental illness. They have mental disorders.
p.s. what a disgusting thread.
I would not have sex with a mental "illness". I would have sex with a functioning person who is living with a mental disorder.
Way to go with creating misinformation about people who are facing phsycological questions.

Not in the least bit taboo, personally.

Not sure about the effectiveness of medicine on those two either... what exactly are they trying to treat?

MTHgasm

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Just as a note people do not have mental illness. They have mental disorders.
p.s. what a disgusting thread.
I would not have sex with a mental "illness". I would have sex with a functioning person who is living with a mental disorder.
Way to go with creating misinformation about people who are facing phsycological questions.

Disorder is probably a better word for people having success with treating their situation.

Let me guess you just read the title of the thread.

If you had read my beginning comments you'll see that I probably was done right bragging about controlling my disorder.

I was giving tips TO function like a normal human being. I have accepted that there is a physical element to why I think what I think sometimes.

But if you have the right mindset the condition is pretty controllable with medicine or alternative medicine.

This was an experiment to see how far off base people actually were. I think though that those off base probably wouldn't be interested in the thread.

Kimahri

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I have bipolar as well. That's been a problem for being in relationships as most people don't have a good grasp as to what the disorder is and isn't. Then you get people like my soon to be ex who need a good deed, get together with you and try to make you feel guilty about the way you sometimes behave.

I digress. No, none of my former playmates ever had any problem with having sex with me knowing about the bipolar. When I became hypersexual, they had no problem with it at all.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think you are part of a very large minority who have something like this. In my case it is chronic depression. How we handle our inheritance is up to us, as it would be for any person with an inherited condition. Think arthritis, type I diabetes, or Woody Guthrie's illness I forget what it's called but it was 50/50 that he could pass it on to his children....

I early in my life decided not to reproduce if I could help it. But the need for intimacy and companionship cannot be gainsaid if one wants to remain sane and socialized. And the luck of the draw is that despite several chronic conditions other than my mental health, I remained fertile and I did reproduce. The children resulting are marvelous and miraculous and I sincerely believe they were fated.

If you are a functioning human whose illness is under control it is your right as a human being to happiness, and that includes sexual happiness. A diabetic takes their meds and watches their health and contirbutes to society and enjoys family life too. So do those with mental health issues that they have overcome.

THanks for saying this. I often think about all of the illnesses that are out here and look at mental disorders in the same way. I think it is the mystery and stigma that many have attached to it that make many suffer in silence. There are medications and therapy that can help sufferers live happy productive lives.

Chase1600

Experimental Member
Media
A fair enough topic for discussion, even if we disagree.

The OP refers to some conventional psychological disorders as if they are genetic in origin. I don’t know anyone knows this. Even if some are, it’s probably unknowable if they would pass on.

Everyone has his, or her, share of flaws, or to be accurate, perceived flaws. Why would a bi-polar disorder, or neurosis, or whatever, be any different from having ears that are too big, peckers too small, or red hair when we think black hair is better?’

Lets word the question differently, if we doubt ourselves and the kind of parent we might make, we might want to deal with the issue before becoming a parent. It isn't about fearing that we would pass on the genes to be the way we are, but needing to resolve personal doubts before taking on a responsibility.

When I read the title of the thread, I assumed the subject would be about having sex with someone who may lack mental competence to make choices. Perhaps that could be someone who is severely retarded, someone whose disorder disrupts functional behavior, even someone who has suffered a stroke or accident that leaves them unable to express consent.

Obviously we should not normally have a relationship with someone who is not competent to consent.

I might think we should look the other way if they are a long established couple and the one believes that the other is communicating consent or requesting affection and love making.

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
who the fuck says an autistic person can't consent?
they're often normal intelligence or higher.
many of them are perfectly capable of informed consent.

Chase1600

Experimental Member
Media
who the fuck says an autistic person can't consent?
they're often normal intelligence or higher.
many of them are perfectly capable of informed consent.

actually Asperger's is associated with very high intelligence.

I would never consider that any adult with autism lacks the right to consent unless there were something quite specific to their experiences that would indicate that they - as a particular individual - was being exploited.

Addendum: I’ve been thinking. Obviously, the common characteristics of autism are socialization difficulties. To the extent that an adult is uncomfortable relating to other people, that adult might be made very uncomfortable engaging in any sort of intimate behavior.

If it follows that someone with autism is going to be stressed being intimate, I guess they should not engage in intimate behavior.

Last edited:

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
If it follows that someone with autism is going to be stressed being intimate, I guess they should not engage in intimate behavior.
yeah, but that's an if.

there are degrees of.

there are happily married adults being diagnosed these days, because there just wasn't the awareness to diagnose high functioning people when they were young.

if someone is of normalish adult intellect and they want to then it's not wrong to do it...it might be outside what you'd desire but personal taste isn't the same as ethics.

Wish-4-8

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Just remember, crazy is the new sexy.

Sure its fun when when the mania is up. Sex anytime, anywhere. But when that other side of the polar hits, RUN!!!! Or you will get fists thrown at you, the phone, the TV remote, etc. And all for NOTHING!!! My fav was the trip to the psych ward to visit her.

So no, I will not consider it anymore.

MTHgasm

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Chase1600 thats a good way to look at it.

Wish-4-8: That's someone who allows themselves to cycle for whatever reason. I myself would be hesitant about being even a friend to her especially if she didn't view her problem as a problem.

My question for you is: Would you think again if you heard she was doing well and then saw the difference in her? I.E. the psych ward did her some good, she was better about doc visits, having better habits, didn't react badly like she normally would have to something?

B_coldnose

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I'm not sure if my statement was miscommunicated. In short yes it would he highly unethical to have sex with a person who was in a cronic state of dissasociation or delusional state. As they would not have the presence of mind to interpret the involvement.
However, those who are functioning individuals living with a phsycological disorder are quite aware with participating .
I do draw a division of the term illness verses the accurasy of the term disorder. Not unlike a heart conditon or spinal injury, the brain is actually not inflicted by disease, but suffering from a mafunctioning mechanics. Not to dismiss the anguish and anxiety or the sometimes disability felt by thoss suffering from mental disorders. It is only to establish fact from fiction (general miseducation) that leads to people's shame of not seeking treatment. As well as to continue research in the right direction.