Do you consider having sex with a person who has a mental genetic illness taboo?

wolf1bear2

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
was rather shocked, but came to my senses that paraplegics need attention too.

Consenting adults, is special, you can open your mind, we all are created equal - that is what this site is all about.... Look at your favorites stored, expand and rejoice : }

FuzzyKen

Expert Member
Media
The question to me would be really something that has to be answered on several levels.

I have married into a family where there are two cases of people with these kinds of life challenges. Both of these females have these kinds of issues on a serious level, and the problems they have are not in my opinion well managed. In the two individuals we have schizophrenia, borderline personality disorder, depression, bi-polar, and histrionic personality disorder.

These are people who are on medication for their conditions. However, neither one of these people are well managed. Personally, knowing these people well, I would feel and have felt sorry for anyone involved with either one on a romantic level. Both are females, the medications have caused extreme obesity in one and the other one is trying to "catch up". Both see mental health professionals regularly. Very recently, one of these two at age 25 snared a male much younger than herself and almost had him talked into marriage. He was smart enough to "bail" before the "I-DO" and this is a fact.

I want both of these people to have great lives, but, they have both left total destruction behind them as they have both gone through relationship after relationship. One has had one disastrous marriage and numerous failed engagements.

People being treated for this have side effects from the drugs they take to remain even partially "functional". Weight gain, mood swings, memory loss, (including did they or did they not take their birth control pills) and a variety of other things. In these two women there have been abortions and all the rest when they "forgot".

We have also seen in one of the two a real problem with personal vaginal hygiene and several bouts with easily controllable things which could end up NGU (non-gonococcal urethritis) in any male partner with whom they contacted.

My biological Father after divorcing my Mom many decades ago married a woman who had these kinds of problems. As a result, he entered an eleven year visit to hell. Hospitalization for her, delusional behavior, and when he finally cut the cord to her after 11 years, he had to provide medical insurance to her for the rest of her life because the Judge thought it was "only fair" because of her "problems".

Being kind and politically correct is nice, but in real life terms it has no bearing on practicality and the potential for destruction of the lives of those around those who are for lack of a better term unfortunate to have these kinds of problems is very high.

I may catch a little flack here for this posting, but, I have had too much personal experience at dealing with the "functionally mentally disabled" for decades.

Personally, it is a choice that each individual must make for themselves.

This is a medical condition that the individual cannot help. They do not in any manner deserve to be mistreated, but in exchange neither does the individual dating or attempting to have a relationship with them. I have seen incredible heartache out of this one personally and as a result my catch phrase would be "Danger Will Robinson!"

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
If you do have sex with someone with a mental condition, don't expect it to change them into something they are not. That is a common relationship problem among failed marriages. Going into a relationship to change or 'cure' somebody is delusional.

Nope, if you can't love me as I was made, now that I have managed to keep myself in one piece, I would rather you leave early.

I have read a supporting statement on that recently, perhaps warning of going into a relationship they may see as bad with intentions of "fixing" the person.

D

deleted509196

I don't see it as taboo. A lot more people have some kind of mental disorder or whatever than are even diagnosed. Even if you don't have anything specific, everyone has a strange mind sometimes. I think that my boyfriend is bi-polar for example, but he hasn't been diagnosed. It can be hard for me to deal with, when he acts distant or in a low mood for no apparant reason, doesn't feel passionate at all... and then at other times he's running around hyper and happy, feeling very passionate. Anyway... I love him for him. I deal with all his eccentricities (which as I say everyone has anyway, just in varying degrees), or sometimes even find them endearing. We are probably 2 of the most openly "different" people, i.e we don't conform to soceity's "rules" anyways. I don't try to change him either.

MovingForward

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I once dated a bi polar person, yes it did freak me out with the personality changes, but it can be done. As long as you are honest and open up front, its up to the other person to walk through the door.

B_625girth

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
no. the run ins i have with bi-polar people are just not pleasant, they don't go away. my neighbor next door is bi-polar and drives us batty. we don't speak to her because if we do, if we act nice, then she expects us to do everything for her, hard to explain.

my son's ex gf freaked out about age 18 or so, and diagnosed as BP. she broke up with him, he was called many times to talk to her and did everything he could do, finally gave up, moved on. met a new gal and got hitched after a few yrs. But the old gf re-surfaces about once a year, makes threats on him, his wife, on me( and I never did anything). she calls my son and hangs up,interferes with some of my friends, telling lies about all of us. threatens my DIL. and then it all quits, and then starts all over. we are in the 7th year of this

I'm sorry if you are BP, but after my life experiences, if we met up physically in the real world, and you told me you were BP. I would make myself very scarce in your life, in fact, about all I would say to you, would be "hi!". I have found that BP people attach themselves to your life in an abnormal way, and you can't shake them off, practically like being stalked but there is no romance(normal or twisted) involved. somehow, I lived for 50 yrs without any of these individuals invading my life, and now I have 2 of them. woooo fucking hooo!!!

catman

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
So let me understand this...if I am at a bar, and I decide to "hook-up" (as someone called it) I am to now have that person fill out a lengthy questionaire?

should I get a hair, saliva and urine sample at the same time? Perhaps run their bank records?

its a HOOK UP, we are "adults"- now, as someone said they appear to not be able to make their own decisions then NO. (ditto if they were falling down drunk, passed out, in a coma, or have open sores on their body)

I agree- this thread appears rather...ugly.