Do you consider yourself to be extroverted or introverted?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by newmember1005, Aug 25, 2009.

1. newmember1005

newmember1005 New Member

I know someone previously started a thread about the Meyer-Briggs (or is it Briggs-Meyer?) type indicator that measures this type of thing on a more graduated scale, but I would like to hear a more simple answer from other members on this topic.

As for myself, I consider myself to be introverted, sometimes very much so. However, in certain situations when I'm around family or my most trusted and closest friends, I can actually become extroverted especially if they are engaged in a conversation that I find particularly interesting. Another case would be where I take on the persona of a trash talker when I'm playing basketball just to enhance my skills and mess with my opposition.

Are you an extrovert or an introvert, and if so, are there any circumstances in which you become the opposite?

2. cqguy

cqguy New Member

Albums:
    Definitely an introvert, even around my friends. Just less introverted...

3. D_Jared Padalicki

D_Jared Padalicki Account Disabled

There is a time to be introverted and extroverted

4. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

As pieterjoke notes there's a time and place for both.

Socially I'm generally an extrovert. I enjoy good company and conversation with people who have their shit together.

5. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

Definately an introvert. I find situations that require an extrovert response to be quite discomforting sometimes, i tend to go red when flirting, red when confronted, red when being interviewed and so i am definately an introvert.

I am much more comfortable speaking my mind on paper/internet than in real life but i am working on that.

6. 8iG

8iG New Member

im extremely introverted, unfortunatly

7. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm generally an extrovert. But there are times when you need to know when to turn it off. It's not always appropriate.

I was always outgoing except when it came to things like interviews. I learned in my early twenties that the worst thing they can say to you is "No thanks". I owned an art gallery and we had a lot of antique rugs and paintings and sculpture to move. Most of the items were consigned to us by other people and we had to sell them. We were getting no walk in traffic from the street and had no budget for advertising. So I just started cold calling dealers and collectors around North America. Some of them were fairly important in the art world. Some just said flat out "No, not interested", but most were very accomodating and we wound up moving nearly everything and making some money in an otherwise terrible season.

Being told "No", can't hurt you. Screw'em.. it's their loss.

8. hung

Gold Member

Albums:
    Extroverted here.

9. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

That must be tough when you have the body of an adonis! :tongue:

10. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

Hard to say.
    My best guess is that I am, on balance, slightly introverted, with a lot of extroversion peeping through much of the time.
    But really, I am definitely not a person who needs a lot of contact.
    Some, of course ... it's like hunger or thirst.
    But less than most people.

Example: Yesterday, I went to see Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds. At the popcorn counter, met my best friend, there for the same movie.
    Now, I love the guy ... but I would really have preferred watching the film by myself.

11. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I am generally extroverted, but as others have pointed out I know the time and place when being somewhat more reserved is in order.

12. DiscoBoy

Gold Member

Usually quite extroverted, but I do enjoy some time to myself every now and then.

13. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    Why didn't you just tell me, dude?? I wanted to watch Harry Potter anyway. :biggrin1:

[PS: I'm slightly introverted, but not always.]

14. BiItalianBro

Gold Member

Very extroverted...but as i age i find myself becoming more into 'me' time.
    And i agree with all of you who have mentioned the balance between into/extro...allot of it is simple maturity and knowing when to turn it 'on' and 'off' .

15. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

Definition of Introvert:

Definition of Extrovert:

Wanted to put these up here in case people didn't understand the true meanings of the words.

Often times, when I take the Meyer-Briggs assessment, I'm listed as introvert. And considering these definitions, I think I'm a bit of both. I'm more calculated and think before I speak like an introvert, but I do become bored easily when alone and like to surround myself with people like an extrovert. I don't avoid social situations... in fact, I seek them out. I love being around people!

16. crescendo69

Gold Member

I prefer one-on-one to group situations, but make myself go to social situations so I can meet others and experience one-on-one contacts more often. I do enjoy saying the "right" or "funny" thing that gets a positive response from a group, but worry much about saying the "wrong thing". So it is a mix with me. Part of me says, "Yes, this party or talk-group will be good for me" while another part says, "Be careful, you might make a fool of yourself". The social situation can charge me or drain me, depending on its outcome.

17. Countryguy63

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Wow, Thank you Meg!! I would have answered in the same context as others have.

According to the definitions you posted, I would easily be an extrovert. Almost to a fault, I need people around, even if I'm not "with" them. Alone tends to bring on lonliness.

Now, if the OP was meaning the "other" way, I'm naturally "introverted" (ok shy, stand offish, etc.), especially if I'm in a social situation and don't know others. I'm terrible in bars, nightclubs, etc. But have learned to be able to do tv and radio appearances, or be a "leader" (youth and family activities) when needed.

Now, the very few times I'm at a party with many people that I know, I'm "over the top" outgoing, lol
    **Aint seen Karaoke till you seen me, lol

#17 Countryguy63, Aug 25, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  18. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

Because you had bought a large popcorn, joll.:biggrin1:
    D'oh.
    :tongue:

You're my twin, joll.

19. blg3floor3

blg3floor3 New Member

Introvert. And because we're such a small part of the US population, it does make life pretty annoying most of the time because a lot of people see you as being broken, since they aren't aware of the concepts of introversion and extroversion.

"Why do you spend so much time in your room?"
    "Why don't you ever go out?"
    "Why don't you ever talk to anybody?"
    "Being alone all the time isn't healthy, you need to socialize!"
    "You need to go out on the weekends and get to know people!"

"Well, why don't you go fucking look up what introversion means. Truly study it on a deep, psychological, emotional, and genetic level, and then get back to me."

Of course introverts and extroverts are going to tend to be the opposite of what they are in certain situations. Most introverts are more extroverted around friends. I'm even extroverted around other introverts, regardless of whether I know them or not. These terms are most applicable to novel social situations and on what your general, default behavior and cognitive state tends to be.

My favorite bit on introversion/extroversion was the study that determined how large a genetic factor it was, something I already knew. They actually did brain scans and studies and found we're actually wired differently from each other upstairs.

20. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
    Introvert. INFP minority. Can't test any higher on the I. Thank goodness for the internets.

Draft saved Draft deleted