Do you consider yourself to be extroverted or introverted?

I know someone previously started a thread about the Meyer-Briggs (or is it Briggs-Meyer?) type indicator that measures this type of thing on a more graduated scale, but I would like to hear a more simple answer from other members on this topic.

As for myself, I consider myself to be introverted, sometimes very much so. However, in certain situations when I'm around family or my most trusted and closest friends, I can actually become extroverted especially if they are engaged in a conversation that I find particularly interesting. Another case would be where I take on the persona of a trash talker when I'm playing basketball just to enhance my skills and mess with my opposition.

Are you an extrovert or an introvert, and if so, are there any circumstances in which you become the opposite?

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
As pieterjoke notes there's a time and place for both.

Socially I'm generally an extrovert. I enjoy good company and conversation with people who have their shit together.

mitchymo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Definately an introvert. I find situations that require an extrovert response to be quite discomforting sometimes, i tend to go red when flirting, red when confronted, red when being interviewed and so i am definately an introvert.

I am much more comfortable speaking my mind on paper/internet than in real life but i am working on that.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I'm generally an extrovert. But there are times when you need to know when to turn it off. It's not always appropriate.

Definately an introvert. I find situations that require an extrovert response to be quite discomforting sometimes, i tend to go red when flirting, red when confronted, red when being interviewed and so i am definately an introvert.

I am much more comfortable speaking my mind on paper/internet than in real life but i am working on that.
I was always outgoing except when it came to things like interviews. I learned in my early twenties that the worst thing they can say to you is "No thanks". I owned an art gallery and we had a lot of antique rugs and paintings and sculpture to move. Most of the items were consigned to us by other people and we had to sell them. We were getting no walk in traffic from the street and had no budget for advertising. So I just started cold calling dealers and collectors around North America. Some of them were fairly important in the art world. Some just said flat out "No, not interested", but most were very accomodating and we wound up moving nearly everything and making some money in an otherwise terrible season.

Being told "No", can't hurt you. Screw'em.. it's their loss.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Hard to say.
My best guess is that I am, on balance, slightly introverted, with a lot of extroversion peeping through much of the time.
But really, I am definitely not a person who needs a lot of contact.
Some, of course ... it's like hunger or thirst.
But less than most people.

Example: Yesterday, I went to see Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds. At the popcorn counter, met my best friend, there for the same movie.
Now, I love the guy ... but I would really have preferred watching the film by myself.

Example: Yesterday, I went to see Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds. At the popcorn counter, met my best friend, there for the same movie.
Now, I love the guy ... but I would really have preferred watching the film by myself.

Why didn't you just tell me, dude?? I wanted to watch Harry Potter anyway. :biggrin1:

[PS: I'm slightly introverted, but not always.]

BiItalianBro

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Very extroverted...but as i age i find myself becoming more into 'me' time.
And i agree with all of you who have mentioned the balance between into/extro...allot of it is simple maturity and knowing when to turn it 'on' and 'off' .

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Definition of Introvert:

Definition: Contrary to what most people think, an introvert is not simply a person who is shy. In fact, being shy has little to do with being an introvert! Shyness has an element of apprehension, nervousness and anxiety, and while an introvert may also be shy, introversion itself is not shyness. Basically, an introvert is a person who is energized by being alone and whose energy is drained by being around other people.

Introverts are more concerned with the inner world of the mind. They enjoy thinking, exploring their thoughts and feelings. They often avoid social situations because being around people drains their energy. This is true even if they have good social skills. After being with people for any length of time, such as at a party, they need time alone to "recharge."
Definition of Extrovert:

Definition: Most people believe that an extrovert is a person who is friendly and outgoing. While that may be true, that is not the true meaning of extroversion. Basically, an extrovert is a person who is energized by being around other people. This is the opposite of an introvert who is energized by being alone.

Extroverts tend to "fade" when alone and can easily become bored without other people around. When given the chance, an extrovert will talk with someone else rather than sit alone and think. In fact, extroverts tend to think as they speak, unlike introverts who are far more likely to think before they speak. Extroverts often think best when they are talking. Concepts just don't seem real to them unless they can talk about them; reflecting on them isn't enough.
Wanted to put these up here in case people didn't understand the true meanings of the words.

Often times, when I take the Meyer-Briggs assessment, I'm listed as introvert. And considering these definitions, I think I'm a bit of both. I'm more calculated and think before I speak like an introvert, but I do become bored easily when alone and like to surround myself with people like an extrovert. I don't avoid social situations... in fact, I seek them out. I love being around people!

crescendo69

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I prefer one-on-one to group situations, but make myself go to social situations so I can meet others and experience one-on-one contacts more often. I do enjoy saying the "right" or "funny" thing that gets a positive response from a group, but worry much about saying the "wrong thing". So it is a mix with me. Part of me says, "Yes, this party or talk-group will be good for me" while another part says, "Be careful, you might make a fool of yourself". The social situation can charge me or drain me, depending on its outcome.

Countryguy63

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Wow, Thank you Meg!! I would have answered in the same context as others have.

According to the definitions you posted, I would easily be an extrovert. Almost to a fault, I need people around, even if I'm not "with" them. Alone tends to bring on lonliness.

Now, if the OP was meaning the "other" way, I'm naturally "introverted" (ok shy, stand offish, etc.), especially if I'm in a social situation and don't know others. I'm terrible in bars, nightclubs, etc. But have learned to be able to do tv and radio appearances, or be a "leader" (youth and family activities) when needed.

Now, the very few times I'm at a party with many people that I know, I'm "over the top" outgoing, lol
**Aint seen Karaoke till you seen me, lol

Last edited:

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Why didn't you just tell me, dude?? I wanted to watch Harry Potter anyway. :biggrin1:

Because you had bought a large popcorn, joll.:biggrin1:
D'oh.
:tongue:

[PS: I'm slightly introverted, but not always.]

You're my twin, joll.

blg3floor3

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Introvert. And because we're such a small part of the US population, it does make life pretty annoying most of the time because a lot of people see you as being broken, since they aren't aware of the concepts of introversion and extroversion.

"Why do you spend so much time in your room?"
"Why don't you ever go out?"
"Why don't you ever talk to anybody?"
"Being alone all the time isn't healthy, you need to socialize!"
"You need to go out on the weekends and get to know people!"

"Well, why don't you go fucking look up what introversion means. Truly study it on a deep, psychological, emotional, and genetic level, and then get back to me."

Of course introverts and extroverts are going to tend to be the opposite of what they are in certain situations. Most introverts are more extroverted around friends. I'm even extroverted around other introverts, regardless of whether I know them or not. These terms are most applicable to novel social situations and on what your general, default behavior and cognitive state tends to be.

My favorite bit on introversion/extroversion was the study that determined how large a genetic factor it was, something I already knew. They actually did brain scans and studies and found we're actually wired differently from each other upstairs.