Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have a great propensity to swear when I am by myself (dealing with a balky computer, for instance) or in the company of equally foul-talking friends, but the tendency can sometimes carry over into public behavior, and that causes me some uneasiness. I know that I don't like hearing strangers swear; and I'll bet that plenty of other people are the same way. It appalls me when I hear people in public places casually using the words "shit" and "fuck" for everyone to hear: I think it shows an atrocious lack of consideration.

to the OP - I try not to swear a lot too. I have a 7yr old daughter who listens to every fucking word I say ;)

Of course, you don't want to follow the example of this Volkswagen owner (English TV commercial on YouTube).

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm fucking Irish, of fucking course I fucking curse all the cunting time - I fucking curse when I'm fucking happy, when I'm fucking sad, fucking angry, fucking horny - I fucking swear as fucking much as fucking possible because fucking swearing is a fucking good way of being fucking em-fucking-phatic - mostly when I'm fucking swearing I fucking well say 'fuck' or some other fucking deri-fucking-vation of the fucking word fuck - because it is a fucking great sounding fucking word.

I wonder: do Irish people use "feck" much, or is that just a peculiarity of the characters in Father Ted?

I think that one reason why Americans may overuse the adjective "fucking" is that we have no satisfactory alternatives, while you in the British Isles have at least "bloody" and "sodding" as further options.

EagleCowboy

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
One fine day I had reached the breaking point and busted my "Give a Damn". So I tossed cuss words here and there appropriately.

One of my friends told me that I cuss too much. I calmly and quietly replied "That is a fucking lie." :biggrin1:

B_Italian1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I don't swear a lot. It's a bad habit that I never got into. My parents would say shit, and I only heard my dad use the "f" bomb once, and it was because a car almost hit us. When I was a teen, my friends and I would swear to be cool, but once I starting working, I realized you can't talk like that in a professional environment. And it wasn't something I could do around my parents back then or even now. I think it's a habit for some, but other people seem to be able to turn it off and on, which may show they're using it for shock value. They won't swear around their parents or at work, but around their friends they do it all the time; they're able to turn it on or off.

Mr. Bungle

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Not typically - growing up, my parents would only say stuff like goddammit, and what the HELL, and SHIT once in a blue moon. But I'll find myself cursing up and down when I'm stuck in traffic, and around certain groups of friends.. but I'm able to turn it off when need be, more specifically, when I'm on the phone with my parents.. :smile:

VeeP

Sexy Member
Media
Usually depends who I'm around at the time, but on the average I probably do curse a lot. Lately I've been astounded by how frequently people will drop the f-bomb in business settings. :eek: