Do you discriminate at work?

Exbiker

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
In some countries, notably - in my case - the UK, it is illegal to discriminate at work (for pay, promotions and so on), on grounds of race or sexuality.

So - just wondering, what do straight men think about that? Does it seem fair enough, or do you discriminate anyway, but just try harder not to get caught? I realise it may be different in some US states, but it's probably roughly similar there - not sure about some other countries...

And in particular, do you think gay men are equally influential on the course of events as straight men? Do you listen equally to gay men? Trust them equally? Talk about everything (work or non-work) on the same basis?

:)

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I hired a gay man about two years ago. He's never "come out" to me, but is out to everyone else. I knew he was gay from the moment he stepped into my office for his interview. (And while we're at it, a few months ago I promoted the first woman to hold a particular executive staff position in our office).

We're a small operation and there's a lot of social conversation but I make it a point to never ask him anything about his love life. I figure if he wants me to know he will tell me. He must have a reason. Maybe he's afraid of consequences. But I wouldn't feel comfortable bringing it up to him: "I know you're gay, and it's o.k. with me."

On a professional level, I don't entirely trust him yet, but that lack of full trust doesn't have anything to do with his sexuality. He's still growing into the job. He'll get there, I hope. He has a tendency to be a little bit lazy with some aspects of the job.

I have a suspicion that gay men might have a tendency to give each other a hand up in the workplace. Like an old boys network, or a network of fraternity brothers, etc. I definitely noticed it among lesbians in a much larger organization I used to work for.

Hatt_101

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
i cant answer exactly what youre asking since im not in the normal work force and im Canadian since im just a university student and i only work on campus. i cant say that this thought has crossed my mind since there arnt any gay guys that work at the job i have on campus.

ConanTheBarber

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
i cant answer exactly what youre asking since im not in the normal work force and im Canadian since im just a university student and i only work on campus. i cant say that this thought has crossed my mind since there arnt any gay guys that work at the job i have on campus.
How do you know?
And how do you know you know?
I'm serious; you may have a perfectly good answer.

Hatt_101

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
How do you know?
And how do you know you know?
I'm serious; you may have a perfectly good answer.
because i know all the people i work with since there is only about 12 of us half of them are girls and i know none of the guys are gay

ConanTheBarber

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
because i know all the people i work with since there is only about 12 of us half of them are girls and i know none of the guys are gay
My point is just that people often feel sure about these things but are mistaken.
I realize that doesn't mean that you don't have good reasons for feeling confident in your view.

Hatt_101

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My point is just that people often feel sure about these things but are mistaken.
I realize that doesn't mean that you don't have good reasons for feeling confident in your view.
people dont generally hide things like that so far everyone is pretty open. plus ive met some of their girl friends.

not saying there are not gay guys on campus its just none of them work were i do. theres a total of about 12 people including me and about half of those 12 are girls and the other 5 i know fairly well enough to say that they are straight

ConanTheBarber

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
people dont generally hide things like that so far everyone is pretty open. plus ive met some of their girl friends.

not saying there are not gay guys on campus its just none of them work were i do. theres a total of about 12 people including me and about half of those 12 are girls and the other 5 i know fairly well enough to say that they are straight
No worries. Gotcha, Hatt.:)

Reactions: Hatt_101

At.your.cervix

Superior Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Being 100% honest, I've never discriminated against anyone on the basis of gender, sexual orientation, race, or religion. I mean the idea is almost unthinkable to me. That's not because of any legal or corporate policy, but just because I think of my co-workers in terms of how well they do their jobs, as well as how I think about them as people, and the gamut of different areas some might discriminate just don't come into play with me. And in my line of work, gay men, lesbians, and straight men and women all work quite well together with no real barriers. Call me lucky.

Over-reaching

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I make a point of not asking people that I work with too much about their private lives, particularly if they are reporting to me. More often than not I learn lots of things about them, sometimes through simple observation and, most usually, because they tell me. I wouldn't consider a person's sexual orientation when making an appointment or in terms of preferment in the office, and indeed when making an initial appointment I probably wouldn't know it anyway.

Reactions: fluffychocolate

10silverdollars

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Where I work, it's all about skill, effectiveness, dependability, and judgment--doesn't matter from whom it comes, so gender, sexual orientation, racial/ethnic makeup, and appearance don't matter. When I get to choose with whom I work, I work with those who are most capable and with those who want development and those who put themselves forward. I have yet to see anyone make choices based on gender, sexual orientation, racial/ethnic makeup, and appearance, either by preference or avoidance--or even habit, so I feel really good about where and with whom I work right now. Not like other places I have been previously...
This is really a team-oriented situation: it's not the place, it's not the business organization, it's not corporate 'philosophy'. It's team chemistry. In a field associated with prima donnas, competition, and certification/qualification/education differentiation, this place is an exception.

huguest

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm pretty sure that those that don't accept gay people, wont post their comments. They know they are against society standard. They think that no one will force them to like an attribute that they view as wrong.

It's fine, they don't have to like everyone. If your a boss and you prefer working with men, because women make you uncomfortable, would you force yourself to employ women? would you force yourself to do something you don't like for the sake of satisfying society standard?

I'm living in Canada and we just elected the new government, they promised to put equal men and women on post. We all know that there's a lot less women then men in politics. So I'm pretty sure that they choose a women over a men even if the men is a more suited candidate.

I'm against all sort of discrimination in life, I got great gay friends and I work with women coworker, but sometime I think we just push the balance a bit too far.

Remarque, I maybe the exception, I live in Montreal, the second biggest gay city in the world, Sydney being the first. We have parades for gay people. I think parity is a great thing, Just wonder if it's for the greater good sometime.

Reactions: braalian

It's fine, they don't have to like everyone. If your a boss and you prefer working with men, because women make you uncomfortable, would you force yourself to employ women? would you force yourself to do something you don't like for the sake of satisfying society standard?

That's the definition of sexual discrimination, right there. That's why we have laws against it. It's not about 'liking' someone or feeling comfortable, it's about who does the job best.

temptotalk

Legendary Member
Media

Seeing as how canadians have been some of the nicest people i've ever met in my life...i think you might have just disqualified yourself from the thread. Just sayin :p

Reactions: Hatt_101

huguest

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
That's the definition of sexual discrimination, right there. That's why we have laws against it. It's not about 'liking' someone or feeling comfortable, it's about who does the job best.

Dawn! I wrote that to make people respond to it, now you just put a big flag over it:p. Usually the despot don't know is a despot until someone point it out. After that it's a big argument of accepting what you are before even changing your behavior.

hunghorse30, I think your right in the large sens of the "definition of sexual discrimination". But I think putting two completely different type of person together just for the sake of "those are the best at what they do" is discrimination as well. You can't force people to work together. You have to be wise and work with those who do respect their coworker. if you want to change discrimination, you need to help tame the difference, not force them together. Even if it's mean choosing with who your working with and by that create a prejudice.

Anyway, discrimination is a cultural thing, it's is built all along your life. It's not something that can change in one generation, but I must say that I'm impress with what society did accomplish. Maybe it was by force, maybe it's still there, just repressed, maybe it's all moving along, but what I'm sure of, it's that those culture was built in the first place by intolerance and by forcing people doing something they didn't want.

Hatt_101

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Seeing as how canadians have been some of the nicest people i've ever met in my life...i think you might have just disqualified yourself from the thread. Just sayin :p
I'm sorry. :)