Do you eat with your hands?

luka82

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I do! And I wash them first! :biggrin1:
Ever since I came from The Middle East I have been avoiding forks and knives as much as I can. So I went out with my friends to dinner some time ago, we were at this fancy restaurant and I was eating with my hands! You don`t eat with your hands in Serbian`s restaurants, you eat using forks and knives. :rolleyes: My friends are used me dipping in their plates, but when I turned around I saw people staring at me. :redface:

accemb

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I know I wouldn't be happy with a friend shoving his hands into my plate.... clean or not....so I guess in the end, it's a cultural thing.

luka82

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I know I wouldn't be happy with a friend shoving his hands into my plate.... clean or not....so I guess in the end, it's a cultural thing.
hahaha! I`d shove it in your plate, and I wouldn`t ask! :biggrin1:

Countryguy63

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Part of my life was spent practicly living with Filipinos. Other than in the serving containers, soups and puddings, eating utensils were not put out. I learned how to eat very efficiently with my fingers.

Have a friend that is fromm ShriLanka(Sp?) who also uses hands only. Bread is used for dipping when we have soup.

I don't however usually just eat with my hands, especially in a restaurant where it is not the custom. :tongue:

Irish

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Johns Island (South Carolina, United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don't exactly break out the utensils for every little thing, but if they're available I use them.

Basically anything that will make me want to wash my hands again after I finish eating or before I grab my wallet to pay are utensil foods.

For example: waffles with jelly are hand food; waffles with syrup are utensil food.

Or as a smart ass: I need my hands to operate the utensils and therefore always eat with my hands.

luka82

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Depends on the place and circumstances. I'll do what the culture I am in does. When in Rome and all that. I use chopsticks to eat rice in Japan, but the fingers of my left hand in The Gambia, right out of the communal bowl. I'm a total whore and just do as the locals do. Like in France they eat pizza with a knife and fork, and that was just weird for me, but whatever... seems normal now.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Like Vince said above I tend to follow the cultural norms of the country I am visiting when eating. However I was taught the food that would be silly to eat with a knife and fork (like a grape) should be eaten with your fingers. Foods that would be foolish to eat with your hands (such as ice cream from a dish) should be eaten with a spoon.

luka82

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Like Vince said above I tend to follow the cultural norms of the country I am visiting when eating.
Well the problem appears when I start applying the cultural norms I have adopted somewhere else in my natural habitat. But somehow I really feel comfortable eating with my hands!

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Depends on the place and circumstances. I'll do what the culture I am in does. When in Rome and all that. I use chopsticks to eat rice in Japan, but the fingers of my left hand in The Gambia, right out of the communal bowl. I'm a total whore and just do as the locals do.

That's the best way really.

Like in France they eat pizza with a knife and fork, and that was just weird for me, but whatever... seems normal now.

Yeah - that tickled me, too, but, as you say, one gets used to it - what I didn't expect was to see folks tackling Big Macs with plastic cutlery in the local MacDo!! That one's a local practise I don't observe! :no:

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Well the problem appears when I start applying the cultural norms I have adopted somewhere else in my natural habitat. But somehow I really feel comfortable eating with my hands!

One of the things I like best about Hawaii is it so multi-cultural but even so when we eat here we use a knife and fork.
But when we eat here fingers just make more sense.

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Luka, do you eat left-handed? Because that is a terrible no-no in a lot of places where they eat with their hands. It put me off living in India because I am left handed and I thought I might starve...

Just because I am so clumsy with my other hand, I mean :blush:

Last edited:

ronin001

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Cammer
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I once ate with a contractor at a Pakastan restaurant, whose primary client list were NYC cab drivers. I remember a lot of hand to mouth eating and sauce dipping.