Do you ever get naked with other men in your culture?

D

deleted10760481

In my upbringing nude was considered a shame, so normally even with close friends you didn’t get naked. Many years ago I was in Japan and tried the experience of Onsen. At first when they said to me had to be naked i really felt uncomfortable at the idea but anyway decided to give it a try. I can say it’s one of the best experiences I had over there. And for all the time I was there as soon as I saw a Onsen I was in :). I repeat my upbringing was very conservative and the first 2 min inside the Onsen was kind of strange but then I got relaxed and felt amazing. I remember having serious topic conversations with my friend lol even though we were both naked and surrounded by a lot of other naked men. So after 5 min in it felt completely normal. Those months there helped me be more nonchalant and not shy to get naked even nowdays and most important to feel comfortable with my body

June Bernardino

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Nudity in east asia is somewhat an acceptable practice from the Onsens of Japan, to the Jjimjilbangs of Korea as well as the Bath houses of Mainland China.

It is a non-sexual place where you are able to strip down and relax and just be you.

Specifically for Japan, it is a way to be "at the same level" as anyone. Since you are naked, ranks and status as also stripped away and you can be more open. For us who grew up into it, it is a very social atmosphere. I had european, australian, canadian and american friends who went with me in an onsen and majority of them felt some "breakthrough?" Or "spiritual awakening?" (Sorry i do not know how to describe it for them.

But most of them mentioned that their inhibitions stripped away and an hour into it they kind of forgot why they felt awkward being naked with other people anyway.

Being in these places kind of opens you up amd make you vulnerable in another way.

I remember that me and my friends used to talk about our foreskins or our pubic hairs as well as armpit hairs, we discuss what is good and what is not and it's a good way to really validate yourself.

=====
Now on the other hand, some do go to onsen just to peep :( im ok with it just as long as they are not offensive or creepy about it. I've seen some japanese (and even foreigners) being creepy about it so that takes away from the experience.

The videos of onsens that we can see on the internet somewhat bothers me as well because it does sexualize it. I was surprised to also see myself in one of the onsen videos

Stu311

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
In my upbringing nude was considered a shame, so normally even with close friends you didn’t get naked. Many years ago I was in Japan and tried the experience of Onsen. At first when they said to me had to be naked i really felt uncomfortable at the idea but anyway decided to give it a try. I can say it’s one of the best experiences I had over there. And for all the time I was there as soon as I saw a Onsen I was in :). I repeat my upbringing was very conservative and the first 2 min inside the Onsen was kind of strange but then I got relaxed and felt amazing. I remember having serious topic conversations with my friend lol even though we were both naked and surrounded by a lot of other naked men. So after 5 min in it felt completely normal. Those months there helped me be more nonchalant and not shy to get naked even nowdays and most important to feel comfortable with my body
That’s nice to hear :). Been planning to go to Japan for a while now with my wife and another couple who we are friends with (but covid, as with everyrhing these days - hope to go some day). The ladies have put the onsen as a must have experience and don’t seem too fussed about getting naked. My male friend is a bit more sceptical and to be fair I haven’t been that much in the nude myself, especially not on foreign lands outside of beaches where I was quite far from others. Neither me nor my friend (who’s American) have had any social or cultural nude experiences growing up. Should be an interesting experience when it comes. I’m sure we’ll feel better after a few minutes, as you’ve said, though I do fear we’ll stick out as two white circumcised gaijin.

Pugg

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
At my regular gym, there are open showers and stalls with curtains. Myself and most other guys use the open showers or a stall with the curtain open. It’s not uncommon to have a full on conversation while showering with the guy(s) next to me. Most guys also unwrap their towels in the sauna. It’s a nice experience to be completely nude and socialize with other men.

I’ve also been to the nude beach here in Toronto. Being nude in public and lying in the sun surrounded by other nude people is also an enjoyable experience.
And I like it when a certain guy looks at you, the one who should he has nothing against gays, you know the type.

D

deleted10760481

That’s nice to hear :). Been planning to go to Japan for a while now with my wife and another couple who we are friends with (but covid, as with everyrhing these days - hope to go some day). The ladies have put the onsen as a must have experience and don’t seem too fussed about getting naked. My male friend is a bit more sceptical and to be fair I haven’t been that much in the nude myself, especially not on foreign lands outside of beaches where I was quite far from others. Neither me nor my friend (who’s American) have had any social or cultural nude experiences growing up. Should be an interesting experience when it comes. I’m sure we’ll feel better after a few minutes, as you’ve said, though I do fear we’ll stick out as two white circumcised gaijin.
Yeah you might experience unisex onsens which are quite rare actually and separate onsens m/f which are most of them. Oh and about circumcised gaijin, I remember Japanese are circumcised too but definitely You will stick out as gaijin ;)

Stu311

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Yeah you might experience unisex onsens which are quite rare actually and separate onsens m/f which are most of them. Oh and about circumcised gaijin, I remember Japanese are circumcised too but definitely You will stick out as gaijin ;)
Yes, I think unisex ones are way too rare, so we’ll just go us guys separately from the ladies. Definitely the gaijin part is probably going to stick out more, as we are definitely not up to speed with Japanese etiquette, but we’ll try our best. Didn’t think the Japanese are circumcised, though I remember reading in another thread here that they like to keep it peeled back, so that might actually not be that odd for us then. I know in some cultures showing a bare glans might be offensive, as it usually indicates arousal, and I recall getting some looks at a spa in Austria as the only bare headed guy in the room.

D

deleted10760481

Yes, I think unisex ones are way too rare, so we’ll just go us guys separately from the ladies. Definitely the gaijin part is probably going to stick out more, as we are definitely not up to speed with Japanese etiquette, but we’ll try our best. Didn’t think the Japanese are circumcised, though I remember reading in another thread here that they like to keep it peeled back, so that might actually not be that odd for us then. I know in some cultures showing a bare glans might be offensive, as it usually indicates arousal, and I recall getting some looks at a spa in Austria as the only bare headed guy in the room.
I am circumcised too myself and i think they were circumcised, but who knows might be as you say peeled back even though i have my doubts. Hope you visit it soon and enjoy all the Japan has to offer ;)

AllDixNeedLuv69

Superior Member
Media
Huntington (West Virginia, United States)
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
i live in the country have a big fenced in area where no one can see in because have get togethers and parties all time where everyone can be naked and free--even swimming is alot more f un with nothing on---and of course seeing all the nude guys is a plus too

oook

Loved Member
Media
This is an interesting topic. In my culture (Chinese) it is not common at all for men (even friends you know for a long time) to be naked with each other. I have studied in Japan so I saw how totally different it is in your country. In fact, for someone like me who is quite shy, it took a lot of courage to go into one of those bathhouses or hot spring. And I think it is also not very common in many other cultures.

One experience that I remember very clearly is that there's one time I went to a hot spring with some local Japanese students and some international students from different cultural backgrounds. Although I knew that we were supposed to be naked, I still felt a bit nervous. And I saw that some other guys felt the same as they were hesitating about taking off all their clothes, and we were laughing a bit about this awkward situation when we were only wearing our underwear. One of my friends actually opened the door to the onsen to check whether everyone was actually naked and whether being naked is necessary. However, the Japanese students just simply stripped naked and they wondered why some of us were hesitating.

We were also not sure if we should cover ourselves a bit with a towel since there were not many people doing that. So we ended up just walking butt-naked in the onsen area. It was a bit awkward and embarrassing for me and some international students but it was ok once we got into the water, because at least we didn't see our lower bodies that much. But after a while, the local guys told us that we should take a rest from the hot water and sit on the edge of the small pool. And that made us sit in a circle and we simply had to look at everyone's naked body. The fact that we were all naked and having a daily conversation was just a bit strange to some of us, and we all knew that we should be respectful to this culture so we were just smiling a bit awkwardly. But the nudity clearly distracted us from having a normal conversation because we sometimes just looked down unnaturally. It was awkward but funny at the same time, to the point that someone finally brought up this topic and he said it was his first time to see so many dicks and from different countries :joy:. We then laughed about this and learned that this kind of nudity is not common in many of our cultures.

51arledge

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I grew up in a very conservative, religious community so there wasn't much group nudity, and no casual nudity.
I loved the gang shower in my college dorm, but then didn't have time any opportunities for a while. Then in my late 30s, we were friends with a gay couple who had a house on 55 acres in some wooded mountains...and there was a great pool. Nudity was expected of all guests for the entirety of their stay. It was great!
At my gym, there used to be a good bit of nudity in the locker room and sauna; that went away with Covid although in the last 2 weeks there seem to be more guys just being out there.
I love the Korean spas in my area. It's just great to be relaxed and having conversations with guys when the trappings and glitz are gone.

AllDixNeedLuv69

Superior Member
Media
Huntington (West Virginia, United States)
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Some people but places with lots of woods so they can camp out and be naked the entire time

I got my place in the country where I can walk around house outside inside as much as I want as the nearest house near me is about a mile or so from me…

I have also done sex in front porch as the breeze blew it was so nice and fun.. I spend majority of my days and nights naked or nude if sounds better .. as I can’t stand clothes .. never could when I was a kid and as I got older it never got better ..

if someone comes up my road I know soon as hit the end of my driveway with sensors down there … so I put something in like pair of shorts on extremely lose ones but it’s fun living this way .. anyone else ?

F_Man

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Living in Finland you grow up in a culture that is the home of SAUNA, a two-thousand year tradition and the word "sauna" is Finnish also. Shared nudity is as natural as breathing, and nude male bonding is within our culture. With a country of 5,8 million inhabitants, there are 3,5 million saunas. It's also a fairly democratic culture: when bare-assed in the sauna, your title has little meaning.