Votes: 11 23.9%

• Total voters

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Dear lafever who was almost eaten by bad people:

Sounds as if you spend a lot of time in bad neighborhoods. Personally, I try to stay out of Compton in Los Angeles. Still, if I meet you on the street and you're in need of some spare change or a meal, you can count on me helping you out . . . if possible. Try not to get eaten in the meantime.

Peace. :smile:

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
There but for the grace of God go I.

Generally I will give whatever change I have in my pocket to panhandlers. Not every one of them of course. In the U.S. there are so many in the cities that one simply can't.

In Turkey, despite being a much less economically rich, beggars are quite uncommon compared to N.America and Europe. I think it is because families here take care of their own to a greater degree. There are very few homeless people.

We go to a variety of restaurants for lunch and because of the climate, usually they are open to the street with a roof or awning covering. Once in a while, an older woman will wander in and the patrons to beg for money. Every time, one of the waiters or the owners will come and take her by the elbow and sit her down at a table in the back and give her food. At one place I used to go to a lot, it happened nearly every day, but it was never the same lady coming in.

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I almost always do, but not alot, whatever change i have in my pocket or a buck or two. it's not my place to judge what they do with it. i give alot more to my government and look how poorly they use it.

in this day and age i can't blame the homless/panhandlers for refusing food from a stranger. i mean really , would you eat somthing a total stranger handed you from their car?
I meant to comment on this post earlier, but want to add I completely agree. When giving money/gifts I do not ask nor dictate how it is to be used, and although many people in large cities "replate," I as well understand the hesitancy to accept food or drinks from strangers. Particularly with the level of contempt many feel against others who are disadvantaged for one (many) reason(s) or another.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Before 2001 pan handling was an arrestable offense in Argentina, especially in Buenos Aires. Then the middle class was completely wiped out within 24 hours and 1 Argentine Peso that had historically been pegged to the US Dollar was suddenly worth 3.4 Pesos to the US Dollar. If you didn't have dollars stuffed away somewhere you were REALLY hurting. Although not enjoyed by the general public, pan handling is now accepted. If you get on a city bus a street vendor will ask the driver if he can sell ball point pens on the bus as long as he gives the bus drive a small cut of what he might make. Sitting inside any restaurant means someone will come up to your table and interrupt your private conversation with your dining companion to sell you a small cosmetic mirror, fingernail cilppers, scrunchies, pens, pencils, whatever. Some times these working poor are summarily herded out by the waiters and sometimes they are not. The steps of the cathedrals are lined with poor seniors who cannot live on the government pensions they earned in the 60s through the 90s.

The reasons for Argentina's sudden economic collapse are varied, but all directly related to greed; especially greed of the WMF. So, it was a good day when when Nestor Kirchner thumbed the the Argentine nose at the WMF and said Argentina's priority was not to pay off the spiraling debt accrued by past corrupt presidents and military juntas with the WMF. That's the first time the WMF had ever been told to fuck off. But what could the WMF do? Invade Argentina?

Argentina has paid most of its WMF debt as of 2011. Not all of it. And they even threatened to pay none of it back unless they were able to renegotiate interest rates. The WMF sensibly realized that something was better than nothing. Still, Argentina has serious economic problems. Of course, the British ex pats who have retired to Argentina have all the answers to cure everything wrong with the country. Fortunately, those same ex pats have no power.

Even though the economy has improved, inflation eats away at any progress. And pan handlers, especially senior pan handlers, are the hardest hit. I've purchased so many fingernail clippers in the last 10 years I could start a small store. But I buy them.

My point? If you live in the USA stock up on inexpensive packages of fingernal clippers, combs, cheap cosmetics, pens, and pencils. We're not far from lots of out-of-work previously middle class wandering through Dennys and IHop trying to make a living.

breeze

Experimental Member
Media
I know in san francisco they find about 40 or 50 dead bodies on the streets every year {mostly in the winter}. When i arrive in sf in the morning i see people sleeping in doorways. There are scammers { but they're not scamming much unless you think 50 cents or 1.00 is a lot / individually } and some are dangerous or deranged. But many of them clearly are in harm's way. Some of them look horrific. {they almost don't look human } One homeless person i often see looks like he has aged 20 years in 6 months. They just had a cover on time magazine where it stated 20% or so of the population own 80% or more of the assets. One hedge fund manager made 1.8 billion dollars one year. An article in business week stated that 50% of the population has basically a zero net worth. And that moving up in life is bascially a myth. And we are basically on the tip of another recession or even depression once greece , portugal , spain , italy or ireland defaults. There's a world of hurt out there. The wall street protestors have it right. There is too much greed. There is an inbalance. There is hunger in america. No one can dispute that.
This been discussed on other message boards. I don't know if its accurate but some poster said there are like 3000 references in the bible urging giving to the poor. The Virgin Mary has ALLEGELY said " whoever gives to the poor / in doing so honors god ".

travis1985

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I keep those certificates for a few different fast food places in my glovebox and will give a few for the closest place if it feels right. That way I know they will do good with it, if anything. I don't give if I know the same person has been panhandling at the same location forever. Last winter, I saw a guy panhandling with a dog. I went to the store, bought a big bag of dog food, and returned to give it to him. He was very grateful. I also realize that when I do help someone, I'm able to do more if I haven't done it for everyone and their mother. 50 cents for everyone is pretty marginal and won't do much for them that they wouldn't have found elsewhere anyway, but $20 given to one person occasionally can make a real difference to them for a much longer time.

andrexx

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
My city actively encourages citizens not to give. I think it's because they have relatively robust social services. I don't give but I'm a poor college student, so every dollar counts (and usually I'm just carrying cards).

hrdhatdad

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I give when I have cash on me. When I was young and poor I rarely gave but am now comfortable (thankfully)

MarkLondon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
If I can't afford to give or have no change, I'll acknowledge their presence, look them in the eye and say "I'm sorry, I can't". That seems to count for something; I've never had a hostile response.

I'm ambivilent about the idea of giving food instead. It does deprive them of what I take for granted - the freedom to chose how I spend my money (and sometimes that is on booze).

In the UK we have The Big Issue magazine which is sold by homeless people on the street. They have to undergo vetting to establish they are homeless, buy their copies in advance, carry ID, and work sober. It's much more dignified than begging, for all concerned.

ronin001

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Cammer
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I ususlly keep a few dollars in my EZ access pockets, I give it to to the first few panhandlers i see or who ask. I tell the rest sorry someone got to me first.

Ahhh City Life