Do you give to charity?

Thedrewbert

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I no longer do financially. Too many that I gave donated to I find out later the money is being wasted on huge salaries or being used for social causes I find objectionable... I will never ever donate to any religiously based charity.

Jjz1109

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I no longer do financially. Too many that I gave donated to I find out later the money is being wasted on huge salaries or being used for social causes I find objectionable... I will never ever donate to any religiously based charity.

Fair, so donate time. And pitiful you feel the way you do re: religion charities. Some do tremendous work. You just need to find the right ones, like any charity.

Thedrewbert

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight

Fair, so donate time. And pitiful you feel the way you do re: religion charities. Some do tremendous work. You just need to find the right ones, like any charity.

I do donate time or physical items that are not cash. I'm the past I also worked with a veteran's group who placed homeless vets in housing. I had a 4 unit apartment building that was all section 8, and when a unit became available, I would let them know first. This wasn't truly charity in that I was still being paid, but I was making housing available to people who normally would not qualify for it. I no longer own that building or section 8 rentals, but I would do it again if I did.

Some Religious organizations may do good work, but I have neither the time nor patience to weed or and sort through them all to find the ones who aren't bigots. After that, I have trouble giving money to people who are justifying their actions as a way to please the adult version of Santa Claus. (He knows if you been bad or good, he'll bring you gifts if you ask nicely and be good, if you've been bad you get coal). It feels like I'm enabling the delusion.

BillM

LPSG Legend
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Beverly Hills (California, United States)
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
YES!!
donate.gif

Chrysippus

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Fair, so donate time.

Exactly right!!! You may have skills or be able to provide services more urgently needed than money.
Money doesn’t always get everywhere, but personal services and skills are quickly put to use in your own community with no waiting for funding:
Vets may need rides to and from appts at the VA, kids may need clothes and toys that your own family has outgrown. Drop off a 10-lb bag of dried pinto beans to a food bank, put your carpentry skills to use for repair of homes of the needy or elderly. Volunteer to help clean at animal shelters.

There are lots of possibilities that don’t depend on your financial ability to give money.

Reactions: deleted37010
S

superbot

I def don't give me money to cancer charities,nor to charities that pay their CEO's six figure salaries.I give to Cafod,which is one of the few aid organizations that guarantee it's donations go straight to their their intended causes without any delays.
Top of my list is the McMillan nurses.

S

superbot

You refuse to give to religious charities when so many of them have been at the fore front of famine relief and medical assistance for decades? That's unreal.

Max_Polo

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Absolutely. I don't have as much time to share as I'd like, but do donate money. Church, scholarship fund at our kids' school, hospital capital campaign, scholarship fund for medical education, Susan Komen foundation, a few others.

I always check out the charity and overhead, I don't want to fund a bunch of admin stuff.

https://www.charitynavigator.org

Itsmeandyou

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I def don't give me money to cancer charities,nor to charities that pay their CEO's six figure salaries.I give to Cafod,which is one of the few aid organizations that guarantee it's donations go straight to their their intended causes without any delays.
Top of my list is the McMillan nurses.

Never heard of McMillan nurses. What is that? I happen to like Luke’s Wings. They provide flights to solders’s Families if they are hurt while serving in military.

S

superbot

Never heard of McMillan nurses. What is that? I happen to like Luke’s Wings. They provide flights to solders’s Families if they are hurt while serving in military.
McMillan nurses are a UK charity that provide free care to support people who chose to die at home rather than in hospital.They're unbelievable.

Reactions: hunghorse30