Do you have an ethnic sounding voice?

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
One of the reasons I was laughing so hard when on the phone with novice_btm, DeeBlackthorne, and DJG was because none of them sound like what I expected. Not sure what I expected, but if I hadn't already seen pictures I would have thought DJG was from Newark, NJ he sounds like a northeast black man. :eek: I half expect to find out he drives a late model Cadillac modified to be a low rider with suicide doors and fuzzy dice. :biggrin1:

Dee Blackthorne's voice sounds somewhat urban black male but with the faintest tinge of carribean islander. Very upbeat tone and timbre (probably due to the libations:tongue:) but definetely an educated black male
They were so loud I could barely here novice_btm in the background; but I would say he just sounds like a man, no discernible accent or ethnicity; but not bland either. I hope that made sense as it's late and I have had a few glasses of wine myself. :redface:

Hearing the two of them talking and having such a good time made me feel like I had to represent (LMAO:tongue::rolleyes:) so I put on my best homegirl voice which I haven't felt the need to do in ages. It lasted all of maybe 2 minutes. :frown1: Fortunately, they were too drunk to notice as I fell back into my normal voice. Talking like an urban black person requires way too much effort for me. I literally couldn't hear some of what they said because I was so busy trying to think of how to speak without using proper syntax. :tongue::redface:

Now here's the funny part, I sound like your average Central New Jersey white girl. I can't help it I am a product of my childhood environment. My best friend growing up was Jewish hence my proper use of certain yiddish words in some posts. Apparently when I'm really tired or inebriated I sound like either a NYC Jew or Brooklynn Italian girl. When people first meet me some think my voice is a put on, it's not. It's just who I am. :smile:

The girls at the Curves I just started going to call me either cracker or white girl because of my voice and demeanor. Yes, it's annoying but I have had white people call me way worse. I really don't feel it's worth fighting over.

Better Example: I used to date this Jamaican-American guy and I would get mad when he didn't return my calls. Turns out every time I left a message with his older sister (this was before cell phones) she refused to relay the message; because she didn't want her baby brother dating a white girl!:eek: I swear to God and Prada it's true.:mad: I finally had to go up there on her day off to have dinner so she could see my face and put it with the voice on the phone. :rolleyes:

That's the funny side of not sounding Black. The sad side is the dozen or so interviews I have been on in the past. I send in my resume, they call me and do a brief phone interview. They like what they hear and schedule an appointment. When I walk through the door I see the interviewers face fall as they look at me, look at my resume, then look back at me in disbelief.

Do you sound like your ethnicity or nationality?

Love-it

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
How about region? We moved from Vermont to California in 1953, I was nearly 4 years old. Today, at age 58, every so often someone will ask me if I am from New England.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
How about region? We moved from Vermont to California in 1953, I was nearly 4 years old. Today, at age 58, every so often someone will ask me if I am from New England.

Well that depends, certain accents make people assume you are stupid, uneducated, etc. I would never make that assumption about a New England accent. Then again I did live in north-central Massachusetts for four years.

Many people assume anyone with a southern accent is a redneck moron. Hello world! They do have universities in the southeast.:rolleyes: They even have doctors and lawyers who aren't quacks and shysters. :tongue:

nay-nay

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
i am half native american and half white. i used to have a very strong native accent, and i was at a school with all whites, so these girls would always tell me to say stuff cuz it was diffrent than what they normally heard. it got annoying and embarassing b/c i was always the quiet girl in the corner, and these were the popular girls. so i just started talking like a white girl so they wouldn't bug me about it anymore.

i can definetely sound like a white girl (like at work when i'm being professional), but when i'm around my relatives (which i've only known my mom's side - native americans), i use native slang and stuff. my dad's side of the family disowned all of us (including my dad) b/c he got with my mom. they were very racist.

so i speak a little of both. like sometimes i'll hear myself talking like a native, and other times a white girl.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
i am half native american and half white. i used to have a very strong native accent, and i was at a school with all whites, so these girls would always tell me to say stuff cuz it was diffrent than what they normally heard. it got annoying and embarassing b/c i was always the quiet girl in the corner, and these were the popular girls. so i just started talking like a white girl so they wouldn't bug me about it anymore.

i can definetely sound like a white girl (like at work when i'm being professional), but when i'm around my relatives (which i've only known my mom's side - native americans), i use native slang and stuff. my dad's side of the family disowned all of us (including my dad) b/c he got with my mom. they were very racist. I'm sorry that happend it totally sucks!

so i speak a little of both. like sometimes i'll hear myself talking like a native, and other times a white girl.

Your experience is more like what I meant in my original post.

scanjock8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I've got a "wicked pisser' of a Boston accent

Love a Boston accent. And women with a southern accent (sorry guys, somehow a southern twang just sounds better spoken by a female).

Being a west coast native, I can't claim a dialect of any interest.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
No I don't.

It's funny how you can tell some one's religion by the way they speak.
When I was in the ocean on the beach in Miami a guy walked in and said "It's nice, the water". Right away I knew he was Jewish and from New York.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I hate Boston and New YOK accents. I don't like accents where you don't pronouce the letter R in word that it belongs in and them pronounce The R in words that they are not in. Such as "Pamaler Anderson".

~quicksilver~

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I can sooo relate to this thread. I am mixed race (black/white) and have a rather posh English accent. I can't help it I was a well educated middle class boy! I do love the looks on people's faces when they hear the voice as compared to the look, especially if I am dressed casual. I play with the stereotype sometimes, if I am wearing a hoodie and some baggy cargoes on a weekend, I will go to a posh cafe and watch the staff and patrons cringe, then say in my best Hugh Grant impersonation "Excuse me, can I trouble you for a pot of Earl Grey tea?" :biggrin1:

Hoodie - £25
Cargoes - £30
Tube Journey - £4
Watching upper-class twats sweat and panic then fall out of their seats when they realise someone 'coloured' speaks better than them - PRICELESS

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I forgot to mention that some young white people are taking the special wigger affectation. A bit like how Eminem speaks, but my boss' son sounds like Justin Timberlake.

eddyabs

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I can sooo relate to this thread. I am mixed race (black/white) and have a rather posh English accent. I can't help it I was a well educated middle class boy! I do love the looks on people's faces when they hear the voice as compared to the look, especially if I am dressed casual. I play with the stereotype sometimes, if I am wearing a hoodie and some baggy cargoes on a weekend, I will go to a posh cafe and watch the staff and patrons cringe, then say in my best Hugh Grant impersonation "Excuse me, can I trouble you for a pot of Earl Grey tea?" :biggrin1:

Hoodie - £25
Cargoes - £30
Tube Journey - £4
Watching upper-class twats sweat and panic then fall out of their seats when they realise someone 'coloured' speaks better than them - PRICELESS

You ought to meet my best friend Felix, we are both very well spoken, Surrey country boys, but Felix was fostered and was born from Jamaican parents. Over the years I have garnered endless pleasure seeing this dreadlocked hot black lad open his mouth and the plummiest Queens English falling out....the looks he gets are just priceless. He even speaks better than me. And he's adorable.

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I hate Boston and New YOK accents. I don't like accents where you don't pronouce the letter R in word that it belongs in and them pronounce The R in words that they are not in. Such as "Pamaler Anderson".
from what I remember, people from new Jersey have some thick accents themselves

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
from what I remember, people from new Jersey have some thick accents themselves

Some people do. Jersey City and Bayonne have accents. Most other places in NJ do not. The Sopranos accent is true, many blue collar Italians in NJ do have that accent. I took an accent quiz on line and have a neutral American accent.

Most New Jerseyans have the Merly Streep accent which is no distinct accent at all.

I do love hearing someone say: Pak the cah in Havad Yad.

bigboy9239

Superior Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
One of the reasons I was laughing so hard when on the phone with novice_btm, DeeBlackthorne, and DJG was because none of them sound like what I expected. Not sure what I expected, but if I hadn't already seen pictures I would have thought DJG was from Newark, NJ he sounds like a northeast black man. :eek: I half expect to find out he drives a late model Cadillac modified to be a low rider with suicide doors and fuzzy dice. :biggrin1:

Dee Blackthorne's voice sounds somewhat urban black male but with the faintest tinge of carribean islander. Very upbeat tone and timbre (probably due to the libations:tongue:) but definetely an educated black male
They were so loud I could barely here novice_btm in the background; but I would say he just sounds like a man, no discernible accent or ethnicity; but not bland either. I hope that made sense as it's late and I have had a few glasses of wine myself. :redface:

Hearing the two of them talking and having such a good time made me feel like I had to represent (LMAO:tongue::rolleyes:) so I put on my best homegirl voice which I haven't felt the need to do in ages. It lasted all of maybe 2 minutes. :frown1: Fortunately, they were too drunk to notice as I fell back into my normal voice. Talking like an urban black person requires way too much effort for me. I literally couldn't hear some of what they said because I was so busy trying to think of how to speak without using proper syntax. :tongue::redface:

Now here's the funny part, I sound like your average Central New Jersey white girl. I can't help it I am a product of my childhood environment. My best friend growing up was Jewish hence my proper use of certain yiddish words in some posts. Apparently when I'm really tired or inebriated I sound like either a NYC Jew or Brooklynn Italian girl. When people first meet me some think my voice is a put on, it's not. It's just who I am. :smile:

The girls at the Curves I just started going to call me either cracker or white girl because of my voice and demeanor. Yes, it's annoying but I have had white people call me way worse. I really don't feel it's worth fighting over.

Better Example: I used to date this Jamaican-American guy and I would get mad when he didn't return my calls. Turns out every time I left a message with his older sister (this was before cell phones) she refused to relay the message; because she didn't want her baby brother dating a white girl!:eek: I swear to God and Prada it's true.:mad: I finally had to go up there on her day off to have dinner so she could see my face and put it with the voice on the phone. :rolleyes:

That's the funny side of not sounding Black. The sad side is the dozen or so interviews I have been on in the past. I send in my resume, they call me and do a brief phone interview. They like what they hear and schedule an appointment. When I walk through the door I see the interviewers face fall as they look at me, look at my resume, then look back at me in disbelief.

Do you sound like your ethnicity or nationality?

Wow...now theres a question....Been there, done that....Well....I look Puerto Rican...or ethnic white...But, I am decidedly black....my wife is black...so the kids...(funny how that all comes together, huh?)...and sometimes I sound white...but when I want to speak ebonics...I can and do. I have been disrespected many times by my "black brothers" because I speak the kings english. Does it bother me? hell yeah...I am first and foremost...a black man..."passing" is not an option..for me..it would be like lying about who and what I am. But the thing that bothers me the most is the fact that white people think I'm white and make despariging comments about those N(*#$$(S. Thats really bugs me...and it shows me that racism is alive and well here in the USA. Lets not deny it... what do you think?

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Day to day I sound like an uptight suburban accountant. Now piss me off and sudddenly I go off (and sound like) Blackie Chan. When this happens my wife will usually laugh and say "You inner D'Shawn is coming out to play."

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
An example of someone who sounds ethnic to me is Queen Latifah (from NJ). She speaks proper English and sounds black.