Do you have an ethnic sounding voice?

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
And women with a southern accent (sorry guys, somehow a southern twang just sounds better spoken by a female).
To me the interesting thing about the southern accent is that it really does vary by state and is often lyrical. I find my gaydar going off for some southern men when they are 100% hetero.:confused:
Being a west coast native, I can't claim a dialect of any interest.[/quote] Oh come now, I'm sure you sound just like MoonDoggie. :wink::tongue:

I've got a "wicked pisser' of a Boston accent
I lived in Leominster for 4 years I can do that accent. :smile:

No I don't. I'm sure you do, but you don't realize it.
I can sooo relate to this thread. I am mixed race (black/white) and have a rather posh English accent. I can't help it I was a well educated middle class boy! Same here! I do love the looks on people's faces when they hear the voice as compared to the look, especially if I am dressed casual. I play with the stereotype sometimes, if I am wearing a hoodie and some baggy cargoes on a weekend, I will go to a posh cafe and watch the staff and patrons cringe, then say in my best Hugh Grant impersonation "Excuse me, can I trouble you for a pot of Earl Grey tea?" :biggrin1: hahaha
Hoodie - £25
Cargoes - £30
Tube Journey - £4
Watching upper-class twats sweat and panic then fall out of their seats when they realise someone 'coloured' speaks better than them - PRICELESS
:biggrin1: Yes, I know exactly what you mean.

I forgot to mention that some young white people are taking the special wigger affectation. A bit like how Eminem speaks, but my boss' son sounds like Justin Timberlake.
This annoys me no end! They all want to be black until the cops come around then they straighten up and fly right.

I have a southern US accent. Does that count?
Only if people treat you differently because of it.

You ought to meet my best friend Felix, we are both very well spoken, Surrey country boys, but Felix was fostered and was born from Jamaican parents. Over the years I have garnered endless pleasure seeing this dreadlocked hot black lad open his mouth and the plummiest Queens English falling out....the looks he gets are just priceless. He even speaks better than me. And he's adorable.
That's exactly what I'm talking about! It pisses me off that no matter where you are in the world people expect those of us with darker skin to be complete idiots.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
I think I have a pretty standard Canadian accent.
When I was growing up out west, people would sometimes ask if I was from Ontario. Why, I don't know. The accents are quite similar.
And when I first came to Ontario, I was sometimes asked if my parents were British.
Recently, a Brit (one who should know) said I obviously had at least one Brit parent ... but he was three generations too late. (My great-grandparents were Scottish and Irish ... Northern Ireland, so at least UK these days, if not technically British.)

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
deep voice from the midwest but if i get mad i sound like a black guy from Detroit.
I am a 40 yo white guy lol
Interesting. I've been told that when I'm angry I sound like Brooke Astor circa 1930 or that I sound British. :eek::confused: I disagree with the latter but have been aware of the former.

I have a very deep voice and dont sound white. I post different then i talk. I try to be proper and not too Ghetto. I am forever Walking Spanish which means i walk like im getting ready to get in some Mother Fucker's grill
That's interesting, for some reason I just assumed you were a typical NJ guido guy. Not a Tony Soprano type, more like the hot guys who frequent Seaside in the summer.

Myself, I sound like I come from the north-east midlands (Ashbourne / Chesterfield) / South Yorkshire (Sheffield) area, yet mum is Welsh (Brecon), & dad is from the north-west (Cheshire) area.
Mind you, a lot of my accent I feel is from when I went to college in Rotherham, & the general amount of time I spend in Sheffield.

Get me on the phone though, & I end up using a generic British accent, same as you would expect from a call centre (Used to work in one for BT Yahoo).

I think I have the ability to sound culturally black. Stop frontin' girlfrien' you know you talk like Miss Ann.:biggrin1: I think the detecting factors are not so much the dialects themselves but the execution. The phrasing, the timbre, and the execution . Two individuals can both say "Oh no you didnt!" and you can definitely tell by the emphasis placed on certain syllables, the dynamic levels,etc. That's very true! I feel woefully unprepared to discuss linguistics but I think you probably understand.
I have a white girlfriend who is way more pop culturally black than I am. She always knows all the latest hip-hop, rap, and R&B songs and the corresponding dances.

Never thought of it like that and yeah, you are right Mem. I guess when you look at it that way, I channel my vocal ethnicity about 40% of the time. :tongue:Do you channel it through Shirley Maclaine?
Day to day I sound like an uptight suburban accountant. Now piss me off and suddenly I go off (and sound like) Blackie Chan. (Who is Blackie Chan? :confused:) When this happens my wife will usually laugh and say "You inner D'Shawn is coming out to play."

Wow...now theres a question....Been there, done that....Well....I look Puerto Rican...or ethnic white...But, I am decidedly black....my wife is black...so the kids...(funny how that all comes together, huh?)... I bet your children are gorgeous! and sometimes I sound white...but when I want to speak ebonics...I can and do. I have been disrespected many times by my "black brothers" because I speak the kings english. Does it bother me? hell yeah...I am first and foremost...a black man..."passing" is not an option..for me..it would be like lying about who and what I am. Same here bro', you are preaching to the choir. But the thing that bothers me the most is the fact that white people think I'm white and make disparaging comments about those N(*#$$(S. Thats really bugs me...and it shows me that racism is alive and well here in the USA. Lets not deny it... what do you think?
Racism is absolutely alive and kicking in the USA. I hate when white people come up to me and make anti-semitic remarks. Since when are all blacks supposed to hate all jews? :confused: I don't understand this at all. I always stop them and they look at me like I'm nuts. Their usual response is that I shouldn't care as I'm not one of them. WTF!?!:eek::mad::confused:

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Interesting. I've been told that when I'm angry I sound like Brooke Astor circa 1930 or that I sound British. :eek::confused: I disagree with the latter but have been aware of the former.

That's interesting, for some reason I just assumed you were a typical NJ guido guy. Not a Tony Soprano type, more like the hot guys who frequent Seaside in the summer.

I have a white girlfriend who is way more pop culturally black than I am. She always knows all the latest hip-hop, rap, and R&B songs and the corresponding dances.

Racism is absolutely alive and kicking in the USA. I hate when white people come up to me and make anti-semitic remarks. Since when are all blacks supposed to hate all jews? :confused: I don't understand this at all. I always stop them and they look at me like I'm nuts. Their usual response is that I shouldn't care as I'm not one of them. WTF!?!:eek::mad::confused:

I always figure if someone is crass enough to use those type of remarks about others to me they will sooner rather than later be using them to describe me.

B_cigarbabe

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I've got a "wicked pisser' of a Boston accent

I spent most of my life in Taunton,and we have our own weird accent.
I'm always getting my balls busted about it,especially from Cigarbabe who grew up in Roxbury,which is the black community in Boston.
She sounds white{ to me!} so go figure. These are Mr. Ed's words, now here are mine;
I try not to sound like the ignorant "nigga'" I grew up as. I take care now, to carefully enunciate my words,because if I don't, the majority of white people treat me differently like if, I go in a store or somewhere where the majority is white. I don't particulary like having to do this,but, I've found that speaking well,regardless of race is something to strive for.
If anyone is offended, and I don't think anyone should be,IMO
Oh well!
Let me also add, that I haven't read this whole thread as I usually would,either.
Mr. Ed & cigarbabe:saevilw:

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I spent most of my life in Taunton,and we have our own weird accent.
I'm always getting my balls busted about it,especially from Cigarbabe who grew up in Roxbury,which is the black community in Boston.
She sounds white{ to me!} so go figure. These are Mr. Ed's words, now here are mine;
I try not to sound like the ignorant "nigga'" I grew up as. I take care now, to carefully enunciate my words,because if I don't, the majority of white people treat me differently like if, I go in a store or somewhere where the majority is white. I don't particulary like having to do this,but, I've found that speaking well,regardless of race is something to strive for.
If anyone is offended, and I don't think anyone should be,IMO
Oh well!
Let me also add, that I haven't read this whole thread as I usually would,either.

As usual, Mz Miki and Mr Ed you two are worth the price of admission. I dont even want to think what kundalini position you must be in to type this together! LOL! I love the snaggle toothed devil, too. Mz Miki I owe you a pic my deah. Let me try to get it to you send me your email address.

B_cigarbabe

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Been there, But the thing that bothers me the most is the fact that white people think I'm white and make despariging comments about those N(*#$$(S. Thats really bugs me...and it shows me that racism is alive and well here in the USA. Lets not deny it... what do you think?

I know exactly what your'e talking about!!! White people always think, I'm white, and if I mention,no I'm not Irish, they get offended, like I'm lying! WTF! Black people know I'm not white, and never assume, I'm some type of white person. I am so sick of having to explain why I'm not white! Fucking idiots! Janet Planet in particular,says well you don't seem or look black to me. I say; you obviously never had any black friends or aquaintances or you'd know we don't come in one color,bitch!
cigarbabe:saevilw:

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

I'm surprised and thrilled you two honeymooners left bed long enough to post, let alone read a thread. :wink::biggrin1:

cigarbabe I lived in Mass for a while as you know; but I am unfamiliar with the Taunton accent. :confused: I thought you kinda sounded like one of the grand dames of Marblehead, MA.:wink:

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Born in California, went to middle/high school in the midwest, eventually made my way to the east coast. I've been told I have no discernible accent. One minute I sound midwestern, the next west coast, etc.

your speech patterns and accent are all over the place. it's really cool, actually.

depending on who i'm talking to and what i'm doing, i go from neutral american, to southern, and, most of time, some variation of the Philadelphia accent, which is really distinct if you've ever heard it.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
depending on who i'm talking to and what i'm doing, i go from neutral american, to southern, and, most of time, some variation of the Philadelphia accent, which is really distinct if you've ever heard it.
I know the Philly accent well . . . it sounds like home to me. :smile: My mom grew up in Chester, PA and moved to Philly at 16. She lived there until she was in her early 30's when she married my dad.

I dunno why; but I always figured you were one of the upper-crust who lived on the mainline with an accent to match. I don't mean that as a slight. Some of your posts lead me to believe you are both well bred and educated.

B_cigarbabe

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Hey now, I went to school in Philly!
So I have also absorbed that distinct accent, into my homegirl one!
Haha!
I wanna be uppercrusty too!
By the way, we wrote these post, while I was sucking Mr. Ed on cam,and falling off, the bed,y'all!
Is that kundalini yoga, Naughty? :naughty:
C.B.:saevilw:

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

Walking Spanish is a term used for a way of walking. Thats it. I described the look to you as best i could. It is in the way i carry myself thats all. I look like im mean but i not. The only time i would get in someones face is to plant a kiss on it. Back to the voice. I love having a very deep voice. when i talk my balls vibrate

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
nj and cigarbabe,
Have you seen Jimmy Fallon and Rachel Drass doing their Billerica/Tewksbury/Chelmsford/Lowell area accents on their home videos on SNL? Take a look at this one. Fallon and Drass have this thing nailed right down to the word "concert" pronounced "cawnsiihrt". Most people who imitate Boston area accents miss this part and only concentrate on the Hahvahd yahd stuff.

The pronounciation of "concert" is straight from the area's Irish heritage, in both syllables. Its easy to do the first syllable, but it takes a lot of practice to get the second one right. It shows up in the second syllable of "insurance", and the first syllable of "certain".

Also, notice Matt Damon's accent is good, but its not from that area. I can't place it exactly, but it might be more like Medford or Somerville.

Near the end of the video, Rachel manages to get in at least one "wickihd pissah!" as she is yelling to Bruce Springsteen.

Edit: I just discovered that Rachel Drass was born in Lexington, Mass. One town over from the towns I mentioned.

"Suck awn that Fleet Centah! You'll nevah be the Gahden!"

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hey now, I went to school in Philly! My mom taught home ec at Barrett Jr. hs in the mid to late 50's.
So I have also absorbed that distinct accent, into my homegirl one!
Haha! I wanna be uppercrusty too!
By the way, we wrote these post, while I was sucking Mr. Ed on cam,and falling off, the bed,y'all! LMAO Is that kundalini yoga, Naughty? :naughty:
C.B.:saevilw:

Walking Spanish is a term used for a way of walking. Thats it. I described the look to you as best i could. It is in the way i carry myself thats all. I look like im mean but i not. The only time i would get in someones face is to plant a kiss on it. Back to the voice. I love having a very deep voice. when i talk my balls vibrate
I bet you have a voice like my ex-bf. His natural speaking voice was so deep he could make Barry White sound like a member of the Vienna Boy's Choir.:tongue:

Guy-jin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
I've been told by people who heard me for the first time online that I have a deep voice! I didn't really know it before. Apparently I sound like one of those guys who does the action movie voice overs. You know... "IN A WORLD OF TORMENT AND FLAME, CAN MAX HARDSTRONG SAVE THE PRINCESS AND BLOW UP A TON OF SHIT? FIND OUT THIS SUMMER!" That guy. :biggrin1:

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I dunno why; but I always figured you were one of the upper-crust who lived on the mainline with an accent to match. I don't mean that as a slight. Some of your posts lead me to believe you are both well bred and educated.

FUCK THE MAINLINE!! :biggrin1:

My grandparents on my mother's side are from rural Maryland and via Tennessee and that's where the southern comes from. My father's family is from NE Pa which also has an interesting regional accent. My parent's families were decidedly poor and/or working class, as were my parents until they worked themselves into the middle class. My mother has the typical Philadelphia area accent, and I did until I went to school in a rather well-off suburb and had it "educated" out of me. I remember being in first grade trying really hard to sound like my teacher and not my parents. I've been told I sound British before, which I think is because at times I speak in a rather measured and deliberate way-- but anyone from Britain would laugh at this being somehow British. Right now it really depends on the situation, but yes, I can sound like an upper-crust mainline girl, but I am far from well bred! As I like to say, I am less than one generation away from the trailer park (my older brother was born in one). :tongue::biggrin1:

Fallon and Drass have this thing nailed right down to the word "concert" pronounced "cawnsiihrt". Most people who imitate Boston area accents miss this part and only concentrate on the Hahvahd yahd stuff.

My impression of the Boston accent was changed when I started listening to "Car Talk." I'd never quite heard anything like the way those guys speak in anything that was supposed to be a Boston accent. Even Norm Abrahm from "This Old House" sounds a lot different from those guys.

I've also spent a lot of time in Maine, and the old timers there have the most interesting accent-- on that Stephen King memorializes in his books, but no one can really get what the word "ayuh" sounds like until you've been midcoast or even better to the countless small towns more inland.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
...My impression of the Boston accent was changed when I started listening to "Car Talk." I'd never quite heard anything like the way those guys speak in anything that was supposed to be a Boston accent. Even Norm Abrahm from "This Old House" sounds a lot different from those guys.

I've also spent a lot of time in Maine, and the old timers there have the most interesting accent-- on that Stephen King memorializes in his books, but no one can really get what the word "ayuh" sounds like until you've been midcoast or even better to the countless small towns more inland.
That shows the diversity of accents around Boston. The Magliozzi brothers from Car Talk were born and raised in East Cambridge. Their accent is hard core for sure.

When it comes to accents, Boston is like London. The accents place the neighborhood and economic class you grew up in. Obviously, the Margliozzis and the Kennedys did not go to the same school together.

And yes, its hard to get the Ayuh right. It has the epiglottal stop at the end. The "uh" part is like the "uh" in "uh oh". When you get that right its the "finest kind, ayuh".