Do you have an ethnic sounding voice?

Whopper-lee

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
:biggrin1:
ok..I'll share FYI 'typically black':biggrin1:
I guess have a baritone/bass tone to my voice...fairly soft spoken, very black, southern/country like and yet I to sound a bit like I come from the west indies or some inlands of this nature (picked up from grandma/grandpa french La style)...I also studder and cannot pronounce some words like other people do.
I'm just all messed up:tongue:

I basically studder if I am very nervous or mad & upset....my kids will make fun of me sometimes because they can tell... so I don't talk a lot around their college friends or people they might want me to meet either.
I believe they get a little embrassed about how I do talk & sound...esp my younger son.
He brought one of his college girl-friends home with him to meet me once...she ask if I was from cuba or some where:biggrin1: :eek:then too she couldn't get over my eyes being hazel colored with my complexion being as dark as I am... but that's just a trait that runs in my family also.:wink:
Maybe I should call you sometimes and talk to you:biggrin1:
I think it turns some women on the way I talk..esp if they aint really heard a real southern blk man talk.... it did when I lived in chicago and visited LA-Calf.:smile:

joybunny

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Everyone I talk to on the phone, not living in Texas, says I have a very Texan accent.
Same here. It's funny, there are a lot of blacks in Texas, especially middle and upper middle class, who try their hardest to get rid of their Texas accent. I love mine.

D_Jurgen Klitgaard

Account Disabled
Media
Same here. It's funny, there are a lot of blacks in Texas, especially middle and upper middle class, who try their hardest to get rid of their Texas accent. I love mine.

Depends on where you live I guess. I moved up into north Dallas when I was a kid, and everyone there could notice my accent. I had only moved about 30 miles north!:rolleyes:

Wow, I can't believe y'all resurrected this old thread.

FYI - Texan is not an ethnicity. :biggrin1:

We're Texans, we can do anything.:biggrin1:

joybunny

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I noticed that each region of Texas seems to have their own accent. West and East Texas especially. However some words seem to be common throughout. I found this list today. I know everyone in Texas may not use these words but there are enough to make them notable.

Sample Texas Lexicon
  • Aggravated - Used to describe everything from mild annoyance to dangerous, murderous rage.
  • Conniption - A fit, getting all worked up over something. Example: That child was having a conniption! Someone needed to tan his hide.
  • Looker - An attractive person. Example: “Wow! She’s a looker!”
  • Over Yonder - Over there.
  • Sorry - An adjective meaning worthless, loser, or useless. Enhanced inflection makes it more emphatic. Example: “When I get my hands on that sorry, good-for-nothing punk…”
  • Grub - Food. A meal.
  • Fixins - An entire meal, excluding the main dish. Example: “I’ll have a hamburger with all the fixins.”
  • Directly - In a little while. Example: “Well run down to the ice cream store, directly. For now - finish your supper.”
  • Idiot Box - Television
  • Dinner - Often times refers to lunch, or the meal in the middle of the day. Sometimes may refer to the evening meal.
  • Supper - Almost always refers to the evening meal, but sometimes may mean lunch.
  • Howdy - Although it sounds like “how are you”, howdy is more of a salutation like hello, bonjour, guten Tag, etc.
  • Fess up - To confess or admit to something.
  • Fit to be Tied - very upset.
  • Fixin’ to - Preparing to do something. Example: “I’m fixin to go to the store. Do you need anything?”
  • Hissy Fit - Same as a conniption.
  • Lit Out - Took off, started out, or absconded across some terrain. “He lit out of here as soon as the cops showed up.”

D_Jurgen Klitgaard

Account Disabled
Media
I noticed that each region of Texas seems to have their own accent. West and East Texas especially. However some words seem to be common throughout. I found this list today. I know everyone in Texas may not use these words but there are enough to make them notable.

Sample Texas Lexicon
  • Aggravated - Used to describe everything from mild annoyance to dangerous, murderous rage.
  • Conniption - A fit, getting all worked up over something. Example: That child was having a conniption! Someone needed to tan his hide.
  • Looker - An attractive person. Example: “Wow! She’s a looker!”
  • Over Yonder - Over there.
  • Sorry - An adjective meaning worthless, loser, or useless. Enhanced inflection makes it more emphatic. Example: “When I get my hands on that sorry, good-for-nothing punk…”
  • Grub - Food. A meal.
  • Fixins - An entire meal, excluding the main dish. Example: “I’ll have a hamburger with all the fixins.”
  • Directly - In a little while. Example: “Well run down to the ice cream store, directly. For now - finish your supper.”
  • Idiot Box - Television
  • Dinner - Often times refers to lunch, or the meal in the middle of the day. Sometimes may refer to the evening meal.
  • Supper - Almost always refers to the evening meal, but sometimes may mean lunch.
  • Howdy - Although it sounds like “how are you”, howdy is more of a salutation like hello, bonjour, guten Tag, etc.
  • Fess up - To confess or admit to something.
  • Fit to be Tied - very upset.
  • Fixin’ to - Preparing to do something. Example: “I’m fixin to go to the store. Do you need anything?”
  • Hissy Fit - Same as a conniption.
  • Lit Out - Took off, started out, or absconded across some terrain. “He lit out of here as soon as the cops showed up.”

I use just about all of those.:rofl:

What part of Texas are you in, Joy?

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Can we please get back on topic? :rolleyes::confused:

*SNIP* I sound like your average Central New Jersey white girl. I can't help it I am a product of my childhood environment. My best friend growing up was Jewish hence my proper use of certain yiddish words in some posts. Apparently when I'm really tired or inebriated I sound like either a NYC Jew or Brooklynn Italian girl. When people first meet me some think my voice is a put on, it's not. It's just who I am. :smile:

The girls at the Curves I just started going to call me either cracker or white girl because of my voice and demeanor. Yes, it's annoying but I have had white people call me way worse. I really don't feel it's worth fighting over.

Better Example: I used to date this Jamaican-American guy and I would get mad when he didn't return my calls. Turns out every time I left a message with his older sister (this was before cell phones) she refused to relay the message; because she didn't want her baby brother dating a white girl!:eek: I swear to God and Prada it's true.:mad: I finally had to go up there on her day off to have dinner so she could see my face and put it with the voice on the phone. :rolleyes:

That's the funny side of not sounding Black. The sad side is the dozen or so interviews I have been on in the past. I send in my resume, they call me and do a brief phone interview. They like what they hear and schedule an appointment. When I walk through the door I see the interviewers face fall as they look at me, look at my resume, then look back at me in disbelief.

Do you sound like your ethnicity or nationality?

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm told I have an accent ... most people guess British English accent ... others just say I sound haughty (actually had a twenty-year old tell me that, using that word) ... is that the "accent" other people hear?

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I posted my voice on here before in the voice thread. But Australian is Australian, we arent broken up into states or regions like America, England or Europe is so we all sound the same.
Get outta here! :eek: How do you know who to look down on or hate if you all sound the same? :confused:

Supersized

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
One of the reasons I was laughing so hard when on the phone with novice_btm, DeeBlackthorne, and DJG was because none of them sound like what I expected. Not sure what I expected, but if I hadn't already seen pictures I would have thought DJG was from Newark, NJ he sounds like a northeast black man. :eek: I half expect to find out he drives a late model Cadillac modified to be a low rider with suicide doors and fuzzy dice. :biggrin1:

Dee Blackthorne's voice sounds somewhat urban black male but with the faintest tinge of carribean islander. Very upbeat tone and timbre (probably due to the libations:tongue:) but definetely an educated black male
They were so loud I could barely here novice_btm in the background; but I would say he just sounds like a man, no discernible accent or ethnicity; but not bland either. I hope that made sense as it's late and I have had a few glasses of wine myself. :redface:

Hearing the two of them talking and having such a good time made me feel like I had to represent (LMAO:tongue::rolleyes:) so I put on my best homegirl voice which I haven't felt the need to do in ages. It lasted all of maybe 2 minutes. :frown1: Fortunately, they were too drunk to notice as I fell back into my normal voice. Talking like an urban black person requires way too much effort for me. I literally couldn't hear some of what they said because I was so busy trying to think of how to speak without using proper syntax. :tongue::redface:

Now here's the funny part, I sound like your average Central New Jersey white girl. I can't help it I am a product of my childhood environment. My best friend growing up was Jewish hence my proper use of certain yiddish words in some posts. Apparently when I'm really tired or inebriated I sound like either a NYC Jew or Brooklynn Italian girl. When people first meet me some think my voice is a put on, it's not. It's just who I am. :smile:

The girls at the Curves I just started going to call me either cracker or white girl because of my voice and demeanor. Yes, it's annoying but I have had white people call me way worse. I really don't feel it's worth fighting over.

Better Example: I used to date this Jamaican-American guy and I would get mad when he didn't return my calls. Turns out every time I left a message with his older sister (this was before cell phones) she refused to relay the message; because she didn't want her baby brother dating a white girl!:eek: I swear to God and Prada it's true.:mad: I finally had to go up there on her day off to have dinner so she could see my face and put it with the voice on the phone. :rolleyes:

That's the funny side of not sounding Black. The sad side is the dozen or so interviews I have been on in the past. I send in my resume, they call me and do a brief phone interview. They like what they hear and schedule an appointment. When I walk through the door I see the interviewers face fall as they look at me, look at my resume, then look back at me in disbelief.

Do you sound like your ethnicity or nationality?

No, I don't. I sound like a loud obnoxious Italian man. Arthur Fonzarelli was one of my role models when I was very young. Every since then I subconsiously and maybe psychically mind meld with Italian men. Fukin A!

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Ya man. I have 'beer-can' an' eggs fo' breakfast. Innit.

Joking aside, I have a regional accent, apparently. Probably softer spoken than the locals here though. But still I have the accentuations, or lackthereof, that are common to this little part of the world.

But I don't sound ethnic, I just sound Northern.