Do you have any issues stemming from being circumcised?

NIMBUS

Legendary Member
Media
Recently in the news, this is another sad story of a young man who clearly did have some major issues with being circumcised. I make no comment on the pros or cons generally (where adults choose or need to have the surgery) but it's a salutary reminder that things can and do, occasionally, go horribly wrong.

'My son killed himself after circumcision'

Reactions: Gj816

ZarbK

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Account Deletion Pending
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Recently in the news, this is another sad story of a young man who clearly did have some major issues with being circumcised. I make no comment on the pros or cons generally (where adults choose or need to have the surgery) but it's a salutary reminder that things can and do, occasionally, go horribly wrong.

'My son killed himself after circumcision'
Wow thats really sad!!

ZarbK

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Account Deletion Pending
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Agree. It’s also sad for anyone who understands it.
I dont personally have any issues with my circumcision and am quite happy with it. But its apparent that many guys do have issues and even get to the point of despair and suicide like that young man referenced in BBC article above. I wonder whether if he had talked about to someone trusted if the suicide could have been avoided. Too late now.

I dont personally have any issues with my circumcision and am quite happy with it. But its apparent that many guys do have issues and even get to the point of despair and suicide like that young man referenced in BBC article above. I wonder whether if he had talked about to someone trusted if the suicide could have been avoided. Too late now.
Maybe, maybe not. Therapy may have helped? I’ve felt depressed for years over it and occasionally suicidal. Guess there is something to be said for high functioning issues.

He had a point to get across with that letter and his death.

NIMBUS

Legendary Member
Media

I think that you make a good point. I certainly remember that at that age I was all over the place, emotionally, without the added pressure of a major trauma such as having to cope with something like circumcision. alone. Being so far away from home must have been very difficult, even if it was personal choice. It's sad that he wasn't able to discuss it with his parents but, if he came from a very traditional British family, a "stiff upper lip" may have been encouraged at a young age and issues with your penis are not something that most lads would openly discuss with parents - or even with close friends ("not the done thing" and all that). I think that that is gradually becoming more of an old-fashioned idea, thank goodness, and the stigma of discussing such issues is slowly becoming outdated amongst the younger generation - especially amongst their peers. However, it may just be that this young lad had not yet established a trusted social circle in his new home, friends in which he felt secure and comfortable with which to start such a personal conversation and seek advice.

I don't mind admitting that reading Alex's story reduced me to tears. Such a waste and so sad for the family that adored him so much. Given that it's Mental Health Awareness week here in the UK I just felt that it was a story worth sharing and food for thought.

Reactions: Nexolaris

I thought that was a terrible story when I saw it.

The comment that he couldn’t have talked to a male friend about something personal like this really hit me, I wish I could make an offer to any man was thinking of killing himself that they could talk to me.