Do you know of any long term gay relationships?

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by Mem, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

last year I was in Key West when I met a couple from Canada. They had been together for 18 years. I had so much fun talking to them. The older one (3years older, they were both around 40) said that he got sick when they first had to spend a night apart. The younger guy was the cuter one and he laughed at all my jokes. The older one wasn't as cute but he was a sweetheart and I can see why he got such a cutie. It was nice to see that they found each other early on, it seems like a rarity in the gay community.

2. DaveyR

DaveyR Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

PaulF and I celebrated 20 years together at the end of last month. I'm 44 and Paul was 43 Tuesday past :wink:

3. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

Congratulations!

4. Principessa

Gold Member

Awww, how sweet, I love to hear about happy, successful couples gay or straight. Congratulations to you both and may you have another 20+ years happy together

5. 9inchcanadian

9inchcanadian Member

Albums:
    My Boyf and i hit 10 yrs in april he was 17 was and i was 19 when we first got together. we`ve now moved across the world here to Canada and are as happy as ever together, we have had an open relationship in the past and still enjoy the ocasional company of other guys, It has never affected our relationship and i dont ever see it doing so.

6. Principessa

Gold Member

Yes, I do. Sounds to me like you are either frustrated at being single or perhaps you have bought into the media hype that all gay men are manwhores. They aren't:wink:

My friends Carlo & Len will celebrate 20 years together this October. Carlo is 46 and his hubby is 66.

7. arliss

Gold Member

Albums:
    congrats DaveyR and ..........yea i know of several....l/t meaning over 5 yrs or more

8. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

Cool, I think an open relatonship can be healthy. THe two guys in my original post never fooled around on each other. which is cool too.

9. swellguy

Gold Member

Albums:
    My partner and I will have been together 19 years next month.

10. arliss

Gold Member

Albums:
    congrats to all the long term gay relationships

11. Dave NoCal

Gold Member

Albums:
    James and I will have been together nine years this September.
    Dave

12. fdsajkl

fdsajkl New Member

Sometimes you get lucky when you're young and meet someone who wants a relationship just as you do. I have a little envy for those guys who met in their younger years. It would have saved a lot of heartache for me if I had met my partner 20 years sooner. What's funny is that our lives overlapped in Atlanta for a couple of years in the early 80's. We probably even saw each other at the clubs then but fate didn't intervene until five years ago. It just took him moving away from NYC and me away from SF to finally meet in Palm Springs.

It may take a while for you as it did for me. By the time you're my age (in my 40's) you have a good sense what you will and will not accept in a relationship. As gay men mature in age they seem to move past their own games and issues of youth and have a better sense of themselves.

13. fdsajkl

fdsajkl New Member

Whoops. Posted before I was finished.

While ours might not quite be described as "long-term", I still feel that five years is still a mile marker for us. Given the dynamics of our relationship I can already sense that we are going to grow old together.

I DO know a couple in Holland that have been together for nearly 30 years. Once Holland allowed same-sex marriages they didn't hesitate. They serve as a model and give me hope for my own relationship.

14. CUBE

Gold Member

Albums:
    Mine is 8 years. In two years, my parents will celebrate their 50th and we will celebrate out 10th. They will have a reproduction of their wedding cake and we decided to have a miniture cake of our own all done in chocolate. Kind of celebrating their anniversary with a nod to our 10th at the same event.

15. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

5 years in 10 years in str8 years. just kidding , but congrats.

16. MileHighMeat

MileHighMeat New Member

We will celebrate 42 years on November 1. We met in Omaha when Don was 28 and I was 27. I guess I followed him home to Colorado and "wouldn't go home". Ha It has been a great life together. We had a holy union in our MCC church on our 22nd anniversary. Then, two years ago while we were in Canada, we were legally married, (Canadian marriage) two days after the law changed to allow same sex marriage in all of Canada.

We have had an open relationship since our second year together. We have had no problems with an open relationship and we both have always played safe.

Yes, Don is 70 and David was 69 earlier this month. Life is great!

17. guy1524

guy1524 New Member

well. Pretty much. ive heard of some. Longest 4 me was like 2 months. got tire dof same thing.

18. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

Congrats. I hope to find my soul mate one day, or at least Mr. right for a while. But I'm a bit of a loner and I think I want an open relationship and I
    love myself and if I don't find anyone special that is fine too.

19. PaulF

PaulF New Member

Me and David (who posted second) have been together for 20 years because we are friends as well as partners we discuss everything together. I think now a days young couples get divorced to fast is because they don't talk to each other. I know life is hard at first when you get together about money, bills etc, but if you talk and discuss everything together life is much easier:smile:

20. flaman

flaman New Member

i agree paulf. i have been with my partner for 22 years now. he is also my best friend, and we discuss everything together. we don't have an open relationship. we moved to florida in the 80's and have been down here ever since. it did take a long time for our families to accept our relationship since i was married and had 3 kids and a wife involved. the x and the kids are also living near us and we all get along very well. we could not of been together living in the mid-west, so we chose florida to start over. we have a good life. we paid our home off last year, and now we can save for our retirement years. we are there for each other. we knew what we wanted and went for it. i am sure there are other couples out there like us. no need for us to look for adventures out side our relationship. we are both content, and plan on keeping it this way.

Draft saved Draft deleted