Do you know where your Social Security Card is?

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
No one has ever wanted to see the original, which I got around 1971. I ran it through the wash once, in the mid-70's, after which I laminated it. It is with my passport.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I haven't seen my US SS card since 1977 when my wallet was stolen in a Pizza Hut. Haven't used it since '79, but I still remember the number.

In Canada the SIN number is only required for your dealings with the the government. It is illegal to require the number for anything else, such a job application or a library card, although many organizations do ask and people who don't know better, give it.

TurkeyWithaSunburn

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Don't you people have jobs? :tongue: Or drive?

Every job I've been hired for, REQUIRED a physical showing of my Soc. Sec. card. It was then photocopied and I'm sure stashed away and probably a name/number match check performed.

It's been a while since I had to have a driver's license renewed or a government ID card, but I think here in Colorado you MUST present that when you are first issued the license/ID card. (And here in CO you can't have both an ID card and DL, must surrender an ID card if you get a license)

As for the OP, a medical history check? That'd be going wayyyy too far for me. Most people who would have a medical problem would volunteer relevant info, ie diabetes (if you went into shock), epilepsy, or severe allergies (bee stings etc). Background checks (criminal) are pretty standard for jobs. I guess now even for volunteering at government places (library).

Did they run a credit check too? If they didn't tell you or if you don't know I'm pretty sure you can find out.

The Social Security number has become the de facto ID number in so many places it's not funny. From insurance cards to Blockbuster rental applications. It truely is sad that something meant for keeping track of government pension benefits (Social Security) has become so intrusive into daily life.

Yeah I know where my SocSec card is.

blg3floor3

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
So, do you know where you card is and have you ever had to show it to someone?

Yeah, I know exactly where it is. Have ever since I was 15.

My birth certificate on the other hand, I've got no clue. My mom swears up and down that she gave it to me for some thing or another, but I know for a fact I don't have it.

In Canada the SIN number is only required for your dealings with the the government. It is illegal to require the number for anything else ...

How does something like a car loan work, then? Or other financial/credit related activities? I don't know about Canada, but the SSN is how important shit is tracked down here.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
How does something like a car loan work, then? Or other financial/credit related activities? I don't know about Canada, but the SSN is how important shit is tracked down here.

You need a SIN number to work in Canada, to file your taxes and receive govt benefits such as the Old Age Pension.

You must show your employer your card for insurable or pensionable employment, to file your taxes, to organizations where you earn interest or income such as a bank or a stockbroker.

You need not show it to apply for a job, a loan, or something like a driver's license.

Last edited:

Yes! I do!!

Personally, I have an extra SS card I keep in a small box with a couple of other credit cards I stash away. Out of sight out of mind.

I carry one in my wallet as well.

I have such a difficult time reconciling the fact that you're in California when all this time I thought you were in Toronto. I've been thinking you're Canadian for years.

molotovmuffin

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Social Security card? Not a clue. Put it away maybe 20 years ago and haven't seen it since. I do know I lost the original white one (I think I found it again years later), so had to get a replacement blue one. All replacement ones are light blue. It's like a scarlet letter, an irrefutable sign of one's irresponsibility or bad luck. Of course, I know the number by heart.

I do know where my Spanish DNI is at all times, and my other national ID card.

Actually this isn't true.... All US born babies get blue SS cards. I've replaced mine 3 - 4 times. No big deal, fill out a form and get a new one. Mine is in my wallet as is a copy of my son's who has his original.

jeff black

Expert Member
Media

As a black person I am used to having to show multiple forms of i.d. for the most mundane of things such as writing or cashing checks. :irked: I also have taken to carrying my passport with me at all times, since moving to Georgia. It seems the standard is to present two forms of picture i.d. down here. :rolleyes:

And because I'm a bit annoyed by this, I'm going to complain as well.

AS a white man, I'm constantly getting asked for ID. Not because I'm white, or because I'm a man, but because they have to ask for ID pretty much all the time, due to today's issues with Theft.

I've got Social Insurance card, driver's liscence, two of my college IDs and my birth certificate in my wallet. Passport in my card.

I'm constantly getting asked for it, because I forget to sign cards, checks etc. It's about people's safety and it's got nothing to do with race.

And because I'm a bit annoyed by this, I'm going to complain as well.

AS a white man, I'm constantly getting asked for ID. Not because I'm white, or because I'm a man, but because they have to ask for ID pretty much all the time, due to today's issues with Theft.

I've got Social Insurance card, driver's liscence, two of my college IDs and my birth certificate in my wallet. Passport in my card.

I'm constantly getting asked for it, because I forget to sign cards, checks etc. It's about people's safety and it's got nothing to do with race.

In all fairness Jeff, it wouldn't surprise me. Georgia is just that kind of place and I never get asked for mine. I was almost carded (at 43) a few weeks ago by a cashier but I haven't had to show my ID (driver's license) since I re-registered my car. When I present a credit card nobody asks for it unless they check the signature box and see that I haven't signed it and even then sometimes they just shrug and don't ask and New York has the highest incidents of identity theft in the country, almost equaling 1/3 of all ID theft in the country.

TurkeyWithaSunburn

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
In all fairness Jeff, it wouldn't surprise me. Georgia is just that kind of place and I never get asked for mine.
If memory serves me right, a few years ago there was a bit of a news event when a gay club required all blacks entering to present 2 forms of government ID before entering, but the whites entering only had to show just one (usually a DL).

Sometimes the old south is still alive and well. :frown1:

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
A bit off topic, but as a public service I'm going to share something that may help with credit card fraud. All of my cards are signed not with my signature but with * Ask for photo ID* I get asked for ID all the time!

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
A bit off topic, but as a public service I'm going to share something that may help with credit card fraud. All of my cards are signed not with my signature but with * Ask for photo ID* I get asked for ID all the time!

Don't you guys have chip and pin cards in the US? Here in Europe you mostly dont have to sign anything but instead you enter your pin into the machine. Spain is slightly different in that they always ask for photo ID when paying by any type of card. :rolleyes:

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Don't you guys have chip and pin cards in the US? Here in Europe you mostly dont have to sign anything but instead you enter your pin into the machine. Spain is slightly different in that they always ask for photo ID when paying by any type of card. :rolleyes:

US ATM debit cards have a chip that differentiates it from a credit card that you have to enter a pin #; on credit card purchases you have to sign your name. The only place I have been asked for ID on debit ATM purchases in the US is in Las Vegas.

justmeincal

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
wow... where were you working in the 3rd grade? lol

I got my first job selling newspapers in our local hospital. I would go room to room asking patients if they wanted to buy a paper. (I can't imagine they would allow that now).

My boss took me to the bank my first day on the job and opened up a savings account for me. He put one dollar in it and made me promise to add money to the account every time I got paid.