Do you know where your Social Security Card is?

B_stanmarsh14

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Fucked if I know where my N.I card is, but as for ID checks, photo ID in the UK, is the norm (Idealy with a signiture too), with the age verification cards with the PASS hologram, being the most common.

For opening bank accounts... 2 utility bills, and one goverment issued photo I.D. (Passport or full UK / EU photo driving licence) is normaly enough.

Debit / credit card payments, are now covered by a chip and pin system, with on-line payments, taking the security number off the sig strip, and using a Mastercard Secure Code / Verified by Visa verification system code.

miakara

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Wow, I thought only in communist Yugoslavia cops would ask for ID even if you didn't do anything bad. Is there any country where you don't need any ID? I wona go there.

Sergeant_Torpedo

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The UK does not require ID to be presented to the police, although the evil axis of Blair/Brown has been doing its best to subjugate us in preperation for our European Union serfdom. Not a joke either, like my last posting on this thread. All people get the governments and police states they deserve. But keep watching X Factor and reading celeb mags and the bastards will kreep up on you and then it will be too late. How many political prisoners do you think the UK and US have? More than you can guess.

gymfresh

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Don't you guys have chip and pin cards in the US? Here in Europe you mostly dont have to sign anything but instead you enter your pin into the machine. Spain is slightly different in that they always ask for photo ID when paying by any type of card. :rolleyes:

No, we don't... and every year it's getting harder and harder to pay for things in Europe by credit card. Initially it was just the odd merchant that would take only a chip and pin card, but now it's lots.

It's nice that in most restaurants in Europe your credit card is read right at the table, where you enter your PIN. In the US, your server disappears with your card for 10 minutes and lord knows what they're doing with it.

I don't leave the house in Spain without my DNI, since it seems to be required for heaps of transactions. Also, the police can ask for it at any moment. Quite the opposite here in the US, where the most common ID is your driver license and in most states (not all) it's even cool if you get pulled over driving and don't have it on you. You have 72 hours (varies) to produce it to the police. Most states have now dropped the practice of using your SSN as your DL number, or at least putting it on the card.

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It's nice that in most restaurants in Europe your credit card is read right at the table, where you enter your PIN. In the US, your server disappears with your card for 10 minutes and lord knows what they're doing with it.

Most people I know flatly refuse to let their card out of their sight. Rightly so as too many get cloned already.

hud01

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Oh boy, you would get really hot and bothered about the application for NY Bar Association membership, and I would be highly amused to be a fly on the wall if you ever become a NY State employee.
This was for volunteer job, not to join a professional organization or to get a paying job.

hud01

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
This week I filled out the paperwork to volunteer at my local library. I was somewhat surprised that they will do a criminal background and medical history search on me.

What surprised me the most however was that I had to show them my social security card (not just give them the number). I don't remember ever having to actually show my card before.

I had to tear the house apart just to find it. I finally found it. It was in 2 pieces and so faded as to be barely legible. Afterwards, I put it in my safe deposit box.

So, do you know where you card is and have you ever had to show it to someone?
Sorry I am another one who would have told them to go scratch. I do not want it floating around anymore than it has to be.

I would have said no way. I don't trust that you will keep it secure.

Oh yeah its in my wallet, but my birth certificate is in a safety deposit box.

hud01

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Don't you people have jobs? :tongue: Or drive?

Every job I've been hired for, REQUIRED a physical showing of my Soc. Sec. card. It was then photocopied and I'm sure stashed away and probably a name/number match check performed.

It's been a while since I had to have a driver's license renewed or a government ID card, but I think here in Colorado you MUST present that when you are first issued the license/ID card. (And here in CO you can't have both an ID card and DL, must surrender an ID card if you get a license)

The Social Security number has become the de facto ID number in so many places it's not funny. From insurance cards to Blockbuster rental applications. It truely is sad that something meant for keeping track of government pension benefits (Social Security) has become so intrusive into daily life.

Yeah I know where my SocSec card is.

I have never had to show my SS card for a job. Now I just show my passport. Before 1985 my license was all that was need. For my first license my birth certificate was all I needed.

The insurance industry has begun changing to ID numbers instead of SS no because of the risk of theft. My company stopped using it about 4 years ago for insurance.

It is not required to open a blockbuster account and if it is not already is on the way to being illegal to ask for it, since it is considered PII.

justmeincal

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
The library called today and I passed my criminal background check. I asked about the medical check. I will be tested for TB and have to provide a urine specimen to check for drugs.

D_Bob_Crotchitch

Expert Member
Media
They do background checks to prevent child predators from volunteering. Your social security card will enable them to do a fast check on you. Now, we all know you are pervs and can't volunteer there.