Do you know where your Social Security Card is?

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I travel -- a lot. So, not only is my Social Security Card in my wallet, so is my voter registration card AND my passport. I have more need to show my passport than I do my Nevada driver's license. And I'm smart enough not to have my Social Security number on my driver's license (which most states encourage).

What I find odd is that the last time I had to see a dentist in the USA the front desk clerk insisted that I include my Social Security number on my personal information form. Since I was paying for the dentist's services in cash I politely said I preferred to NOT give out my social security number because of problems with identity theft. The clerk refused to let me see the dentist because "It's office policy to have all patients SS numbers." So, I waited until I returned to Spain where my dentist doesn't even worry about my Residency card or status. Just as well. He's the best dentist I've ever had and prefer to have him mining around in my mouth than some one I've never met and know nothing about in Elko, Nevada.

Man4menu

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
This week I filled out the paperwork to volunteer at my local library. I was somewhat surprised that they will do a criminal background and medical history search on me.

What surprised me the most however was that I had to show them my social security card (not just give them the number). I don't remember ever having to actually show my card before.

I had to tear the house apart just to find it. I finally found it. It was in 2 pieces and so faded as to be barely legible. Afterwards, I put it in my safe deposit box.

So, do you know where you card is and have you ever had to show it to someone?

-

Why don't you get a new one from the Social Security Office? and discard the old one meaning having it shredded

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Maybe you should stop visiting Arizona then ;)

Arizona is on my "no fly, no drive" list. It has been for a couple of years. Which is sad, because the most convenient way to fly back to my ranch in north eastern Nevada was to climb on Easy Jet to Heathrow, then a long-haul flight on British Airways to the airport in Phoenix, then a quick 45 minute flight to Las Vegas. From there, I'd pick up my Jeep I keep at a friend's house and drive the 485 miles north on Highway 93 to the ranch.

Now, I'm using up an embarrassment of Delta Sky Mile riches, flying from BCN to Kennedy, then to Salt Lake International (the icky-est airport in the world) and a Delta Sky West Connections to Elko where I make sure someone I know who lives not to far from me, but works in Elko, will let me bum a ride at 5:00 PM out into the empty sagebrush steppe.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
It was just a joke because of the new legal situation in Arizona.

I hear you and agree how silly the brouhaha is. But currently Arizona doesn't need my travel money or business. I'm one of those who has no patience with tea baggers and the irrationality that's being passed off as "government" in the Sunshine State. Plus, if you've ever been to Phoenix/Tempe/Mesa/Scottsdale, it's like the worst of Los Angeles planted out in the middle of what was once a stunning desert. Even Tucson has turned into an out-of-control mess of faux pink stucco suburban slums. It's sad.

thetramp

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I hear you and agree how silly the brouhaha is. But currently Arizona doesn't need my travel money or business. I'm one of those who has no patience with tea baggers and the irrationality that's being passed off as "government" in the Sunshine State. Plus, if you've ever been to Phoenix/Tempe/Mesa/Scottsdale, it's like the worst of Los Angeles planted out in the middle of what was once a stunning desert. Even Tucson has turned into an out-of-control mess of faux pink stucco suburban slums. It's sad.

I have not been to Arizona, so i can't really say anything about that, but i do think it is very good to think about the political meaning of where you spend your money, and i even more i respect that you actually act based on that thinking.

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
know exactly where my SS Card, passport, State of Hawaii ID card, passport, Voter Registration Certificate, etc., are

never had a problem with the haughtiness of librarians -- quite the contrary, the ones I've dealt with have gone out of their way to be helpful ...

sdbg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
So, do you know where you card is and have you ever had to show it to someone?
In my bedroom closet there is a huge plastic Tupperware storage container that contains all my important legal and financial documents. I affectionately refer to it as "Pandora's Box". It's a great place to keep my SS card.

I've had to present the card several times in the past year because I was looking for a new job.

justmeincal

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I now keep mine in my safety deposit box at one of my banks. Hopefully I won't have to show it again, but at least I know where it is now.

In my bedroom closet there is a huge plastic Tupperware storage container that contains all my important legal and financial documents. I affectionately refer to it as "Pandora's Box". It's a great place to keep my SS card.

I've had to present the card several times in the past year because I was looking for a new job.