Do you know your ENGLISH GRAMMAR!?

Which of the following is correct?

• Ill take a order of frenchfries and a salad please.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

D_Sheffield Thongbynder

Experimental Member
Media
There is little room for disagreement in punctuating non-dialogue, FF & Alex8. Trends in attribution, especially in fiction, have muddied the waters regarding how to punctuate dialogue, however -- e.g., whether to use the word said after every piece of dialogue (as opposed to other verbs of attribution or no attributive verbs at all) even if it's a question. FF and I both learned in our youth that the attributive verbs had to be separated by commas even if they were questions or exclamations; now we universally accept the end-punctuation of the quotation and eliminate the comma. I would disagree with any editor who wanted to put a question mark outside the quotation, however. As Alex8 astutely said, a question without a question mark is like man without a penis. Since the intent of punctuation is to recreate voice inflection, etc., from oral language to clarify and prevent confusion, I think any changes in punctuation should be universally agreed upon (unless remuneration is threatened).

Enjoyed chatting punctuation with someone. That happens rarely these days -- and for good reason. :rolleyes:

fortiesfun

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
alex8 said:
Surely that was the point, though, honeybritches?

I don't believe I've ever been called honeybritches in my whole life. This entire exchange is worth it for this appellation alone. :redface: Turns out your sword is mightier than your pen after all. Do I have to change my signature line now?

fortiesfun

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
COLJohn said:
FF and I both learned in our youth that the attributive verbs had to be separated by commas even if they were questions or exclamations; now we universally accept the end-punctuation of the quotation and eliminate the comma.

Of course, the universality of that solution is what I was questioning, in favor of placing a comma at the end of the quotation no matter the nature of the sentence, but I concur that the importance this discussion may be somewhat less than curing cancer. :rolleyes:

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
COLJohn said:
I hesitate to split hairs with, MZ, but the comma in the sentence "I love you Bob" is necessary. If you omit it, the grammatical construction changes. Without a comma, the word Bob is in apposition and renames you; with the comma, the word Bob becomes a direct address.

Surely, John, an appositive requires a comma.

fortiesfun said:
However, if one insisted on this phrasing form (because the rhythm was important, for example) I contend that most houses would insist on the comma rather than the question mark. The editor may run afoul of your exacting standards, but editors always win.

I wonder if you're right, Doc, er, Honeybritches.
I simply don't see it that often.

D_Sheffield Thongbynder

Experimental Member
Media
senor rubirosa said:

Rubi, go back to your grammar book, and you'll see that appositives and other qualifying phrases and clauses may be with or without commas depending on whether they are restrictive or nonrestrictive. There is a huge difference in meaning between "my friend Rubi" and "my friend, Rubi." The former tells us which friend Rubi is, the latter that Rubi is my only friend. Your friend John:cool:

Lordpendragon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
This thread is going to turn me into a grammatical, syntactical(,) and(or,) linguistic anarchist. Yeah, yeah, so I am half way there already - sheesh :rolleyes:.

Please don't change the Av, honeybritches :smile:

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
COLJohn said:
senor rubirosa said:

Rubi, go back to your grammar book, and you'll see that appositives and other qualifying phrases and clauses may be with or without commas depending on whether they are restrictive or nonrestrictive. There is a huge difference in meaning between "my friend Rubi" and "my friend, Rubi." The former tells us which friend Rubi is, the latter that Rubi is my only friend. Your friend John:cool:

John, I applaud the high wit of “Your friend John.”:cool:
Very nice touch, that absent comma.
Now, I think I failed, not for the first time, to capture my own point.
If you say, “I love you Bob,” “Bob” cannot be a restrictive appositive because the pronoun “you,” at least when not used in a collective sense, virtually never has an ambiguous referent.
So, “Bob” can only be a direct address, which, as you stated in your response to Madame Zora, would require a comma.
So there would be no case in which the absence of a comma would be correct.
Your friend Rubi.:smile:

Aloha!

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Wow...I ACTUALLY made a topic that is talked in...that's never happened before...

D_Sheffield Thongbynder

Experimental Member
Media
senor rubirosa said:
COLJohn said:
John, I applaud the high wit of “Your friend John.”:cool:
Very nice touch, that absent comma.
Now, I think I failed, not for the first time, to capture my own point.
If you say, “I love you Bob,” “Bob” cannot be a restrictive appositive because the pronoun “you,” at least when not used in a collective sense, virtually never has an ambiguous referent.
So, “Bob” can only be a direct address, which, as you stated in your response to Madame Zora, would require a comma.
So there would be no case in which the absence of a comma would be correct.
Your friend Rubi.:smile:

In the absence of a stated antecedent, your comment is accurate. I was simply trying to make the distinction between appostives, some of which require commas while others don't. With that exciting distinction now made, do you wanna cam, Rubi?:wink:

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
COLJohn said:
In the absence of a stated antecedent, your comment is accurate. I was simply trying to make the distinction between appostives, some of which require commas while others don't. With that exciting distinction now made, do you wanna cam, Rubi?:wink:

Camera's broken, John.
But I'll watch.
Your friend, Rubi.:biggrin1:

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Aloha! said:
Wow...I ACTUALLY made a topic that is talked in...that's never happened before...

The verb tense "is" should have been "was" and "talked in" also sounds odd. Perhaps one would use "discussed instead.:smile: