Do you lock your doors at night?

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Always lock the doors to my homes in the big cities and I ring the encargado whenever I notice on the building security video channel that the entrance to the buildings are open for even a short time. I especially lock my doors on my ranch way out in the middle of no where Nevada where my nearest neighbor is possibly 10 miles away. One day a friend from San Francisco was visiting me in the USA while I was at my ranch. I have a 1.5 mile long dirt road, going from the highway up the side of a desert mountain to my place. One has to open and close four locked gates to get to get there. He thought it was amusing that I locked my doors at night. Then I suggested to him that considering all of the security if anyone happened to knock on my door -- any time of day or night -- they had damn well better be friendly extra terrestrials looking for a place to hide their space craft as they did repairs. Because, any human willing to ignore all of "No Trespass" signs, bust through so many fences and locked gates would certainly be up to no good.

SpeedoMike

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I keep my door locked all the time. (but I am in an apartment, if I was in a home I might keep the back door open while I was home). I have spoken to people in other parts of the country who say they leave their doors unlocked when they go to work, and some never lock their doors, even at night.
several years ago I lived in a small town north of Sacramento, California. A friend told me I really didn't need to lock my doors, until his video camera was stolen!!! :eek:uch:

MidwestGal

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I keep my door locked all the time. (but I am in an apartment, if I was in a home I might keep the back door open while I was home)
I have spoken to people in other parts of the country who say they leave their doors unlocked when they go to work, and some never lock their doors, even at night.

It seems odd to me especially with all the home invasions and killings going on.

If you feel this is a dumb question plese do not reply.

yes, obviously if someone wanted in they would find a way though. But even though I live in a rural area we have always locked doors.....been locked out a few times as well!

B_Lightkeeper

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Definately! I don't wanna get raped! :wink:

Seriously, I do lock the doors of my house and car. When I was growing up no one back then locked their homes and those that had cars (having one car between the whole family was a luxury) kept them unlocked.
Crime wasn't like it is today. Boy...as Archie and Edith would sing...."those were the days!" :smile:

SteveHd

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Continuing with cars, I didn't habitually lock the doors until the mid80s. I was careful to take the keys, however. Until I got a car with automatic locks [which lock when the car is put into gear], I didn't lock the doors when driving.

Here's a flashback for those who had older GM cars: after pushing the lock button down, if you merely closed the door, it would unlock! To get it to lock you also had to push and hold the external button while closing the door. That was one reason many folks didn't bother with it.

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
When I've lived in smaller towns and nicer neighborhoods, yeah, unlocked doors and even windows happens quite frequently. Then there are cities and neighborhoods where not only your doors and windows are locked, but you have to lock your bedrooms with deadbolts (depends if you rent). I've lived in situations where I had wished I had a deadbolt on the refrigerator and freezer.

simcha

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I live in Oakland, California and one would think that by conventional wisdom I should have a razor-wire fence, attack dogs, search lights, an alarm system, and armed guards, let alone just simply locking my door.

The thing is that Oakland is anything but conventional. I live on the third floor. My neighborhood is quiet. I have a door that leads to the balcony in my kitchen. I don't have air conditioning and in Oakland you don't need it. Night provides all the air conditioning you need. Thus you just have to ventilate your apartment correctly to receive the benefits.

So, during the hottest parts of the summer I keep my kitchen door open to my balcony on the third floor. No, it isn't locked. Yes, someone would have to climb up the building to get at my apartment and me. It's unlikely in this neighborhood.

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Sounds like Prader-Willi Syndrome.:wink:

No, the mother f*cker was stealing my groceries/food in the middle of the night while I was asleep. This, after quitting their job. Getting rid of them is a hassle too. They won't leave and they start trying to leach off you for rent, while stealing your food when you are at work. I had the last laugh though, the milk he was stealing, I pissed in that gallon and he drank it all. I also used his toothbrush to scrub the toilet with.

Eventually I ran out of food, ate meals out and when the foods gone they have to leave to find greener pastures if they don't resort to trying to steal other things from you.

MrGoodDate

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
my son left keys and his car and 13 yr olds took it and wrecked it.
i have valuable music instruments and art in my house.
and also, I dont like people walking in when I am undressed.
one Sat morning I was having a wonderful time with my wife and my teen daughter walked in.
next say I replaced the bedroom latch with one that locked.

crazy_one53402

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
At night I do in the area I am in now. The front door is the kind where it can be locked on the out side but can still open from the inside. When I go in the back yard I dead bolt the front door

I keep my door locked all the time. (but I am in an apartment, if I was in a home I might keep the back door open while I was home)
I have spoken to people in other parts of the country who say they leave their doors unlocked when they go to work, and some never lock their doors, even at night.

It seems odd to me especially with all the home invasions and killings going on.

If you feel this is a dumb question plese do not reply.