Do you look at people straight in the eye when talking to them?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by LemacST, Oct 22, 2007.

1. LemacST

Gold Member

Someone asked me the other day and I didn't really know how to answer. I never really thought of it before that. Now I realize that I don't always stare people in the eye when talking to them unless it's some girl I really like or if I'm telling a story or something.

I realize a lot of people feel uncomfortable doing this. Why?

2. D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah

D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah Account Disabled

Your only looking the girls you like in the eye so you dont get busted staring at their tits.

And contrary to popular belief i think its rude to stare then directly in the eye. Almost makes it seem like a power show down of who is going to be the most submissive and look away first

3. LemacST

Gold Member

LOL no, I'm not that kind of guy. If I'm actually talking to a girl I don't glance at her tits at any point during the conversation.

I do like to look at a stranger's tits when she's walking past me, though. I have no shame in that, for some reason. I completely hold gaze at them the entire time it's in my direct vision, which is maybe 3 whole seconds. I wonder if every single one of them noticed :cool:

4. D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah

D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah Account Disabled

If they added a extra bounce to their step to make them jiggle then yep, they noticed you perving.

5. LemacST

Gold Member

I'm glad I can get away with perving at this age, I hope I don't get pervier throughout the years!

6. B_Jennuine73

B_Jennuine73 New Member

I either look at a person's eyes when I talk to them, or if it's semi-loud, their mouths.

7. Osiris

Gold Member

I always look someone in the eyes. Only exception is the occasional shy moment with a woman. I usually blush and will do the whole focus on the floor thing if it's a beautiful woman I am attracted to.

8. D_golden parachute

D_golden parachute New Member

If I'm listening/talking directly to one person I'll look them in the eyes

at least I think, it's going to become a conscious thought when I'm talking to people now

9. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

I always look people in the eyes, no matter how shy or nervous I may be. I don't stare into their eyes, but I look... if that makes sense.

10. headbang8

Gold Member

Albums:
    Almost never. It's too intimate.

11. conchis

Gold Member

Albums:
    always

12. Gitana Rose

Gitana Rose New Member

Albums:
    Years ago...when I was 18:eek:,I started dancing for dollars at a little hole in wall,I was so nervous and one of the gals there took me under her wing and told me to make eye contact with the men so as to get better tips,I said that I was too shy to do that,lol,could'nt look'em in the eye as I danced down to only a g-string,anyway she gave a bit of advice that worked for my situation,she told me to focus on their nose as it will give the impression that I was making eye contact w/out actually having to do so...LOL She also told me to picture the men in their underwear so I did'nt feel so uneasy...It worked...although I gave up dancing 3 months later,I've always remembered her advice,she was great...As for now I always look people in the eye when having a conversation,comment,or confrontation,the years have given me a courage that I did'nt posess in my earlier days.
    And seeing that people always tell me that I have pretty eyes,I tend to make sure I look at people when talking with them:flirt::flirt:

13. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    When the other person is speaking I'll watch their eyes for additional cues to what they are saying. When I'm speaking I'll make frequent but not constant eye contact.

14. No_Strings

Gold Member

I enjoy eye contact immensly - I enjoy reading people and seeing inside them which I can do by looking into their eyes. When talking to someone I'll interchange between looking at their eyes and their mouth. When I do establish eye contact wiht someone, I don't 'switch' eyes very often, but hold my gaze one or the other for a while before switching, or if the distant is long enough I'll actually look between their eyes above the bridge of their nose.

However, I also like to stay aware of my surroundings if outside so I will look around a lot, too. (It's a defensive thing.)

Ditto. :redface:

15. avg_joe

Gold Member

Yes, I do.

16. Sixofspades

Sixofspades New Member

I'm uncomfortable doing it but realize the importance of it. I try do a 3-second on, 3-second off kind of thing.

17. Ethyl

Gold Member

Albums:
    I look people in the eye when I talk to them and listen to them, but if i'm trying to recall something, i'll look away as i'm trying to extract it from memory.

18. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

I dont look people in the eyes at all at least when they are talking to me. In a respectfull way i listen to what they have to say and i am very aware of what is going on around me.

19. ennedi

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I agree with Sixofspades

20. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    The practice of looking people directly in the eyes while conversing varies by differing factors: racial/social/cultural factors. It varies by local, by socio-economic groupings and custom.

Because of that, I look for cues from the person with whom I'm speaking. If they're looking directly at me I'll look them right back. If they are speaking to me and mostly looking off in the distance (a prevailing custom around these parts) I'll do the same.

When speaking to certain "well provided for" women (especially while conducting business) I fix my gaze right at their eyes, all the while fighting the urge not to look down.

It's a difficult thing to do because one glance down at their knoc- uh... chest area, and they'll immediately know what's on your mind.

Draft saved Draft deleted