Do you personally know someone that died from AIDS?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by xrush_uncut, May 2, 2006.

?

Any close family or friends with HIV / AIDS?

Poll closed Jul 1, 2006.
  1. One or more of my family members is HIV+

4 vote(s)
    3.5%
  2. I have a friend / friends that is / are HIV+

20 vote(s)
    17.4%
  3. I personally know someone that died from AIDS-related illnesses

53 vote(s)
    46.1%
  4. I've never known anyone personally who is HIV+

38 vote(s)
    33.0%
  1. xrush_uncut

xrush_uncut New Member

I know three people. One of my uncles was gay and contracted HIV back in the early 80's from his boyfriend. He died when I was about 13 or 14. Another one of my uncles died a couple years ago. He was just sex-crazed and used to travel out of the country for work and would pick up HIV+ whores in Guatemala, Mexico and El Salvador. From what I hear, they were $5 - 10 compared to the non-HIV prostitutes for $45 - 100.

My boyfriend's half-brother also recently told the family that he has AIDS and is slowly deterioratng.

I was just wondering how many people had someone close to them suffering with AIDS?

I was not particularly close to any of the people mentioned, but I bring up the question because many of my family members think that I will end up with it because I am gay.

2. rawbone8

Gold Member

Albums:
    I had one friend who died several years ago.
    One friend whose husband died, but is herself hiv negative.
    Two acquaintances (friends of friends) who are living with hiv.

3. shad24

shad24 New Member

Unfortunately I knew quite a few people who have died from complications and Aids. It is never a pretty sight. Starting from the early 90's I believe the tally is close to 19 or 20. I have been a bearer at a number of them.
    My family too believe I will wind up being HIV+. They don't avoid me but are always telling me to be careful. as I am 100%
    My roommate at the moment has been + for almost 2 yrs. now and after the depression and denial and a few other stages he is finally getting out of his room and getting on with his life and as a matter of fact I believe as of his last check up he is undetectable. He isnt on meds or the cocktail or anything and I am a firm believer that your attitude plays 90% of the recovery process.

4. B_hungrick

B_hungrick New Member

This is a real sad topic for me because when I was a kid a lot of my mom & dad's friends died of AIDS & they took me along to some of the funerals & memorials. My parents were arty hippie types so they knew a real cross section of people here in Los Angeles especially people in the theater & film communities. I remember one guy who was a close friend of my mom's & when he was sick she used to take food over to his house because he couldn't care for himself. I would go with her and hang out. I think I learned a lot from her about how we should treat those we love. But I do remember how sad that time was for my folks.

5. GoneA

Gold Member

:rolleyes:

6. Dr Rock

Gold Member

who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
    i have several friends living with AIDS; i've buried rather more who died from it. can't say i've "learned" anything from it, beyond further confirmation (as if any was needed) that life is shit and will only get shittier.

7. D_Elijah_MorganWood

D_Elijah_MorganWood New Member

AIDS has affected many of my acquaintences and a few of my friends. Some are living, some aren't. It's heartbreaking.

8. mjcp

mjcp New Member

Albums:
    I had two friends die of AIDS, and I was in an 8-year relationship with an HIV positive man. Still neg, but not sure if the parents believe me about that. I think my little brother's boyfriend might be poz, and the two of them are just keeping it from the family, having seen the way everyone reacted when they found out my ex was poz. Or maybe I'm just really paranoid.

9. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

No poz family members, but I am angry as hell that I have lost so many friends, and that I have so many others who are living with HIV/AIDS.

Unfortunately, I also know a few bug-chasers. They claim not to be but they bareback with strangers, so what the hell. "Oh, I always ask their status first." Right, bud, and they always tell the truth, right?

So much for my soap box. Gentlemen (and ladies, too) please try to minimize your risky behavior, regardless of your status. Protect yourself if you are negative, protect others if you are positive. It isn't as hard as it sounds.

10. Jovial

Gold Member

Albums:
    I never knew anyone personally. My brother knew some guy in his town that was a heroin user that had it. My mother knew someone that died of it. I didn't really know either of them. I know anyone can get it, but I don't have any friends in the high risk groups in the USA. (I don't have many friends overall.)

I hope people stay safe.

11. mainer1

mainer1 New Member

Yes, but not since the 80's.....2 close friends, a few other men I knew slightly....it was a heartbreaking time. I have 1 close friend now in his mid 50's who's been hiv+ for over 13 years with no detectable viral load thanks to the medications and his own commitment and self-discipline.

12. headbang8

Gold Member

Albums:
    When I lived in Japan, I helped nurse one or two guys who found themselves caught ill and became too sick to travel home to die. There is such a culture of stoic suffering here in Japan, and the stigma of sickness as a burden to others is so great, that palliative care isn't a focus, as it is in the west. It was sad, and their stories were pretty grim.

I did other volunteer work at home in Melbourne. We buried many of those we cared for.

I was n a relatiuonship with a positive guy for about six months. It was at the time when he needed to start a drug regimen, and it was only through my nagging that he began to take care of himself. Even though he was pretty cool about most things, the shame of being HIV+ve kept him from seeking proper medical care. (I remain negative, by the way. Safe sex works!)

Being gay, and celebrating your sexuality ought ot be a joyful thing. (As should being straight and celebrating your sexuality, too.) Sex and death now seem to walk hand in hand. That's the saddest thing for us as a culture, in many ways.

HB8

13. solong

solong New Member

My best friend died from AIDS. We were buddies. I'm straight, and he was gay, but that wasn't a factor at all. He was brave to the last. Never complained, a kind andd gentle man, totally honest, trustworthy, smart, and talented. I miss him so very much. I'll never have a friend like that, again.

14. naughty

Gold Member

Don't most of us?

Working in a cultural field ,I have seen many friends and classmates pass before their time from AIDS. Some early on and some later. It was a hurtful experience to look at the AIDS quilt and see the names of some of the most creative and beautiful men I knew. THe saddest victim however was my former pastor's sister who contracted AIDS from her husband who was on the "down low" ....

15. inkubus963

inkubus963 Member

I buried my lover in 1993, it was the second time we had been lovers. He contracted after our first relationship, and was very up front about his status when we became reacquainted. We both studied all we could at the time about transmission before we got into physical intimacies again, and always, always, always were safe.

I have a very clear memory of him crying the first time I embraced him naked in bed, because when it became known that he had AIDS, no one would touch him, even casually. He was very hesitant to approach me, for fear of another rejection.

We never had any errors or condom breakages, but I still get tested every six months, without fail. I'm still negative. I still think of him every day. I still think of myself as a widower, even though I have had two very fulfilling relationships since.

16. Dr. Dilznick

Gold Member

My godbrother died from AIDS a couple months ago. My cousin it seems contracted it earlier this year. And last time I saw my uncle, he looked like he had "The AIDS" as well.

PS. What's the deal with AIDS tests and them sticking a cotton swab in your dick and moving it around for a sample?

17. Shelby

Gold Member

I, luckily, have not.

For the most part I consider internet communications a game. This thread is anything but. I offer each of you my deepest sympathy.

18. Sam1070

Sam1070 New Member

I teach at the college level. One of my students died of AIDS over the Christmas Holidays. He was 22.

19. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

I've known no fewer than four close friends who are gone from it. And I know Sam (who was my first lover) who admitted to me only last year that he's HIV positive but has never manifested any symptoms. He told me he has been HIV pos for 4 years.

Both my boyfriend and I remain, fortunately, HIV negative.

On a side note: Has anyone heard of the study which is being done on the suspected immunity of some individuals of European descent whose genetic predispotition has given them an (assumed) immunity to the contraction of HIV? PBS did a documentary on it which was fascinating.

It purportedly comes from exposure to and survival of the "Black Death" or Bubonic Plague.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/secrets/case_plague/

20. Dr Rock

Gold Member

who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
    i was referred for a delta-32 study in london last october, since i was identified as having the mutation a few months earlier during an investigation into a weird mystery virus that kept recurring (what can i say; i'm just god's gift to medical research). all my blood and lymph samples were found to be immune to the strains of HIV they were using in the tests, but the supervising doctor was keen to stress that this didn't necessarily mean that the mutation provides blanket immunity to all HIV strains or similar immunodeficiency diseases (which i already knew, since i had a really bad case of epstein-barr for years when i was younger). so yeah, there is something in it, but whether or not it's got any potential as a treatment or vaccine, we won't know for a while yet. nice to see that people are paying attention though :tongue:

Draft saved Draft deleted