Do you play a muscial instrument?

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
What musical instrument can you play?

I've always wanted to play the guitar but just never got around to getting lessons. I wonder if you can pick it up after you are 40.

Other than the clarinet in 5th grade, I don't play any instruments besides the kazoo.

unabear09

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I don't really religiously play any musical instruments any more. In the past I played piano, sax, clarinet, and various precussion instruments.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I don't really religiously play any musical instruments any more. In the past I played piano, sax, clarinet, and various precussion instruments.

Is it true that if you know how to play one instrument you can easily play many?

Can you hear a song or something muscial then instantly play it back without sheet notes?

lucky8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
piano, sax, acoustic and electric guitar. I can also play the drums and bass but I don't own either of the 2

lucky8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Is it true that if you know how to play one instrument you can easily play many?

Can you hear a song or something muscial then instantly play it back without sheet notes?

I can, if I know the instrument. For instance, I can hear a song on guitar, and play it back after hearing it once, but if I heard a song on a trumpet, I couldn't just grab a trumpet and play it. It's called perfect pitch

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Did most of you guys who play the piano now learn to play when you were a kid?

Did you only start because of your mom forced you to take lessons?

unabear09

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
yup piano as a kid. I think I started when I was 7 or 8. By the time I quit lessons (to which I could kick myself for doing), I was able to play 10+ pages of music by memory.

Mom kinda made me take lessons, but I wanted to learn myself. She's the one who made me quit though...b/c I wasn't practicing enough by her standards (even though all she would do is bitch and moan about me practicing lol)

lucky8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Did most of you guys who play the piano now learn to play when you were a kid?

Did you only start because of your mom forced you to take lessons?

That is exactly what happend to me. I hated it with a passion when i was younger. I was good, but i seriously HATED it. My parents used to say "You don't have a choice. You'll be glad we made you do this later on in life when you're at a party and you can impress girls and the whole party by playing the piano." Turns out they were right. Now I'm extremely glad my mom forced me, it uncovered a talent and I truly feel it has helped the development of my brain

art

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Piano, saxophone(s), clarinet, flute, guitar (and base, which is just a guitar missing two strings).

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The neighborhood piano teacher was a real authoritarian witch who would use a ruler and wack your hands if you made a mistake. My sister took lessons and the stories she told about her torture whether true or not scared me to death.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
That is exactly what happend to me. I hated it with a passion when i was younger. I was good, but i seriously HATED it. My parents used to say "You don't have a choice. You'll be glad we made you do this later on in life when you're at a party and you can impress girls and the whole party by playing the piano." Turns out they were right. Now I'm extremely glad my mom forced me, it uncovered a talent and I truly feel it has helped the development of my brain

Funny you should mention the brain thing, I always thought music enhances thinking and your brain does develop differently than other non musical people. I've found that people with musical talent have better memories and recollection than non-musicians. Maybe music organizes thinking processes? There must be studies on this. I think it's also beneficial because it's something that strikes your very core feelings and passion.

I used to have that game 'Simon' where there would be 4 lights and it would beep a tune, each note a flash of a light, then you would need to replay that tune by pressing those lights, each successive time a note longer. Sounds corny but I think it helped me train my memory from a very young age.

cockoloco

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I used to take piano lessons when I was a kid, but I didn't have take them for too long. I can't play now, I've forgotten most of it.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
What musical instrument can you play?

I've always wanted to play the guitar but just never got around to getting lessons. I wonder if you can pick it up after you are 40.

Other than the clarinet in 5th grade, I don't play any instruments besides the kazoo.

Yeah, there are plenty people learning music at all ages. It is never too late to learn.

Guitars are fun. I have always wanted to play. I learned how to at age 30.
I took jazz piano at age 22. When I got a playable guitar, I had taught myself how to play it, tune it, and take care of it properly with a basic guitar skills book, a few GUITAR PLAYER magazine articles and using my jazz piano training.

If you want to learn guitar, learn some music theory, learn all about the instrument. Learn scale theory. Apply it to your instrument. Then start learning your basic chords related to scale theory and its harmonic movements.

Music is a listening art. So listen to sections of music. Learn what is going on rhythmically, melodically, and harmonically. I listen to a lot of music. I grew up with a lot of it due to my father. He had a lot of Al Green, Diana Ross and the Supremes. But, he also had Elton John, Simon and Garfunkel, Kenny Rogers, and (gulp!) Roger Whittaker. Hehehe.

I listen to a lot of Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov for harmony ideas. That guy really knew how to create some interesting harmonic backdrops in his orchestral pieces. I also like Eric Whitacre. He is a really good chorale arranger. And HE hasn't been learning music too long. And he puts out some amazing vocal work. I even listen to movie soundtracks: Brokeback Mountain (phenomenal soundtrack was phenomenal...the plot in the movie sucked.). Stay. Mysterious Skin. Monster's Ball. Xanadu. And many others.

I hope that a lot of people learn a musical instrument or two. And listen to a lot of (different) music. It is sad to turn on the radio and hear a lot and not much of anything amazing. I listen though. It is never too late for the music and the arts education. I learned a lot from reading a lot of library books over the years. And even buying a few cheap books at bookstores...and book clubs.

Last edited: