Do you play a muscial instrument?

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Did most of you guys who play the piano now learn to play when you were a kid?
Did you only start because of your mom forced you to take lessons?
It was a trade off. I wanted to take ballet, mom wanted me to take piano so I did both. :cool: We signed up for them on the same day I think I was 4.5 years old.

Last edited:

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I used to have that game 'Simon' where there would be 4 lights and it would beep a tune, each note a flash of a light, then you would need to replay that tune by pressing those lights, each successive time a note longer. Sounds corny but I think it helped me train my memory from a very young age.

I had that game. That was fun. I also had a Merlin. Merlin was THE bomb!!!! And the Radio Shack version of Space Invaders called Starfighter. Merlin and Starfighter were always in my knapsack as a kid.

bigmoochie

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My Dad was a classically trained clarinetist who did a lot of jazz session work, too. So music was always around the house. He insisted that we all learn at least 1 instrument &, with 5 boys around the house, we practically had an instant band!

I was the one who rebelled 'cos I wanted to play sport more. I only play guitar &, don't get me wrong, I totally love playing. When I was 13 I just wanted to play baseball more! I'm currently learning ukule so I can also learn mandolin since they're tuned alike. I've been known to play drums a bit but I won't unless there isn't a drummer. All my brothers play at least 2 instruments & my oldest plays 5. Christmas is a whole lotta fun at my Mom's!

cockoloco

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I have been told I can blow pretty well...but alas, no musical instrument talent here!

You know, my flute professor always told me how good I blew. It seems that I was the best. Even better than my older sister, he said.:biggrin1:

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Earl... I think we're long lost twins or something.

I played clarinet in sixth grade then played alto sax in seventh grade. Played guitar when I was around 15-16 years old, then kinda gave that up.

I really want to play drums!!!

Hi Meg, good to hear from ya!

How hard is it to learn how to play the guitar?

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
In order, I was given lessons on:

The oud
The piano
The violin
The clarinet
The oud (they were determined to have me succeed on this, both my brothers are very good on it, as was my grandfather)
The...well, there was nothing else and since I am not able to sing, I do not even play the vocal cords.

I had a drum set at one time as well as a guitar and a recorder-guess what? I didn't learn to play any of those either. Strange part is, I like music-I just can't read those darned signs and symbols what with all those lines running through and about them.

Riven650

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
What musical instrument can you play?

I've always wanted to play the guitar but just never got around to getting lessons. I wonder if you can pick it up after you are 40.

Other than the clarinet in 5th grade, I don't play any instruments besides the kazoo.

Yes. You certainly can take up an instrument after 40. I messed around with our piano as a kid but never progressed beyond 'Chopsticks'. I had school viola lessons at age 12 but never bothered to practice. I played around with a classical guitar when I was 18 but only learned a few chords and never learned to play any tunes. I always thought it was beyond me to learn an instrument, but I took up the electric guitar when I was 50 (3.5 years ago) and got one-to-one lessons with a good tutor. I can't put it down now. I've made such good progress that I'm now on a music degree course. My tutor says I sound as though I've been playing jazz for 20 years - which was a really nice complement, though I do have a lot to learn and it'll be another 3 or 4 years before I'll be able to play to what I'd call a professional standard.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I always thought it was beyond me to learn an instrument, but I took up the electric guitar when I was 50 (3.5 years ago) and got one-to-one lessons with a good tutor. I can't put it down now. I've made such good progress that I'm now on a music degree course. My tutor says I sound as though I've been playing jazz for 20 years - which was a really nice complement, though I do have a lot to learn and it'll be another 3 or 4 years before I'll be able to play to what I'd call a professional standard.

Wow fantastic, that's really encouraging Riven. Thanks for posting that. I was always under the impression that if you didn't learn how to play when young it would be almost impossible when you're older. Maybe it's just a function of how much free time you have to practice too.

NCbear

Superior Member
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Mostly piano, but also some singing (bass-baritone voice), especially in church, and some whistling (all of that trombone playing in middle school, high school, and college paid off). I have a four-octave range when whistling. Only two and a half octaves when singing, unfortunately.

Wish I could play guitar. (GEE-tahr, down here.) I might try it out someday.

NCbear (whose immediate family, growing up, included two clarinetists, a trumpeter, a saxophonist, and a cellist, while all six of us were pianists and singers*--and whose extended family includes a percussionist and band director, an opera singer and voice teacher, and multiple piano teachers and church organists)

*We could've bought an old bus, painted it funny colors, and made some money. Alas for the chance that was, and will never come again. :rolleyes::biggrin1:

Last edited:

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I like to bang on my organ from time to time. Mouth Organ too. I play an instrument with a long neck called a guitar. I also dabbled in Sax a bit and hated it when I was expected to play lead, I felt more comfortable sticking to what I knew I could do well.

Scrufuss

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I can play the drums. I just picked up the sticks at a friends house years ago and now I can repeat any rhythm that I hear.. Used to be in a band but that didn’t pan out to well…

wiretwister

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You hit a tender nerve on this one. In my 20's & 30's I ate, breathed, & worked music. I have done back up professional recording. I presently own & play piano, Hammond organ, accordian, trombone, steel guitar, bass guitar, & a $300.00 Martin Ukulele. I only mentioned the info concerning the ukulele because it's not a toy, but a professional instrument. I still play professionally part time.