Do you resent rich people?

MercyfulFate

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I don't resent rich people for being rich, I resent the attitude that many develop when they are, or become rich.

I have a rich uncle, and while he's a great guy and earned everything he has, he still puts people down for not being at his level.

When I was in Mexico City last year and traveled between the slums and the uber rich suburbs like Polanco and San Angel and seeing the disparity of wealth between the have and the have nots I began truly resenting all the rich Mexicans who have made their money exploiting the poor in that country. There's a reason why the rich have broken glass bottle tops on their tall masonry walls surrounding their homes. It's because they are the focus of intense hatred and resentment among most of the poor there.

I began thinking of all the filthy rich people in the US I resented. Most that I know made their money as Wall Street types. Contributing nothing to the common good or benefit of society they are parasites worthy of being strung up as the aristocracy was in the French Revolution. They have actually wrecked many peoples lives and livelihoods by engineering mergers and take overs that eliminated good companies and their workers.

As the divide between the haves and have nots grows in America and the middle class erodes I begin to resent these people more and more. We all have been brainwashed to think that these rich people are living the American Dream through hard work and sacrifice but I think in all actuality most I know have stolen their money legally.

I'm know a few of these Wall Street types and it's an interesting dichotomy I have to deal with. I have realized a few things:

Because it's institutionalized, they universally do not think of themselves as bad people. They believe that they are virtuous because their deep WASP background teaches them the old Calvinist belief that God shows his favor for people by making them prosperous and rich and that good acts are not necessary for salvation. This may seem, in this day and age, ridiculous unless someone is particularly religious. None of my relations who are in investment banking are religious in the least but it's most definitely the culture in which they were raised. It's the culture of money, politics, privilege, private education, their friends, and their ancestry which reflect these Calvinist precepts even if they've never set foot in a Calvinist church. They're taught to believe that in the realm of business, anything is fair game because the capitalist system is, in itself, a virtuous thing. To do whatever is necessary to make the most profit possible is good for everyone within the system. In any event, their competitors do it so they must do the same or sink and that alone helps the internal justification necessary to do what it is they do. If someone is poor, it's because they haven't worked hard enough to overcome their circumstance, want to be poor, or haven't valued education enough to know how. It seems that for every poor person out there, the Masters believe there is an opportunity for success which has gone unheeded or purposefully discarded. It's a bit perverse.

Nearly all of them have some sort of narcissistic personality disorder. Inside they are deeply insecure and need what wealth can buy them in order to feed their insatiable need for security and approval. They buy the best suits, the big houses with rooms they don't need in the right zip codes, drive expensive cars without ever enjoying the capabilities of the cars, vacation at places they can drop in cocktail party conversations to impress others, and pull every string they possibly can to get their kids into the right schools. Were I only to know these people through their business dealings, I'd say they were confident, smooth, brilliant, and had it all. But that's not how I know them. I know them when they're at home, when they've had too much to drink, when they're in private, among family and friends, and they let their true selves show. The insecurities which dog them are endless; many of them engendered by their own parents to, "succeed, succeed, succeed!" and be ruthless doing so. They tend to have distant, never-satisfied fathers, and domineering status-conscious mothers. They feel whatever it is they do is never good enough for themselves or their loved ones, and even then, they find it difficult to love for they can't share their true selves with people who, by being loved, will hold so much power over them. To let down their guard with someone who could hurt them so much is unthinkable.

One of my best friends worked at a big name Wall Street firm and nearly lost his mind doing so. Like someone else I know, he was positive that it was he was wanted because it was what he was groomed for both by himself and his education and his family and friends. Success was a matter of jumping into the pool and working hard. What he didn't bet on was how much of his soul he would have to sell to stomach what it was he was doing. I'm not saying what he was doing was illegal, but it was unethical. He found, like everyone else, the system was rigged to keep the brokers and the very rich rich at the expense of everyone else. The pressure he put on himself nearly killed him when he developed a very serious illness and was told he only had from a few hours to days to live. He got out right there and then and went on to become quite successful at another entrepreneurial business. It was not long after then he contacted me, after many years of deciding I was a loser for not following the same path, and decided I was one of the few real friends he had. He's much happier now, with a family, and despite some current financial difficulties due to the economic situation, he's back to being the guy I used to know and admired for always bringing out the best in me and others.

What made him different is that in the end, he never felt trapped. He always had true self-confidence, always knew what he was and wasn't good at, and was driven more by his own expectations than those of others. He also is, and always has been, an empathic person. He's extremely cautious about revealing himself to anyone he doesn't completely trust yet he sympathizes easily. At heart, he's a good and kind person even if he wasn't necessarily raised to be. He's one of the few people I know who is truly happy for the good fortune which comes to his friends when it seemingly drops out of the sky. He's not prone to envy or jealousy even if he is fiercely competitive so that if he loses something he doesn't blame someone else but rather finds a work around or reassesses his own performance to do better next time. That takes real character founded on self-confidence and wisdom. Most of the contemporaries he left behind don't have that and so continue on their path, becoming more bitter, self-destructive, emotionally inured, and most vociferous about the "right" and "good" person they've been in life because to acknowledge what they've been is far too difficult once the truth slowly dawns on them (if it ever does).

Of course some of these people are just plain sociopaths and never had a conscience to begin with so they just do what they do.

As regards other rich people, no I don't resent them even if I think someone doesn't deserve their wealth. I know a large number of rich people who aren't investment bankers at Wall Street firms and certainly plenty of them are good at earning money or keeping it, but they're usually strikingly ignorant about things outside of their area of expertise. Some are good people, some are not-so-good people, and many are so status-conscious that their lives revolve around doing what the people of their class do. Money doesn't make their lives any happier, but they've never lived without it so resort to doing anything to keep it. I feel sad for them in many ways.

Most of the really rich people I do know are classic old money. They are much freer and self-confident than their more nouveau peers because they've never had to impress anybody or live to anyone else's standards. Maybe they haven't had to work beyond managing their finances or, at least, trusting the right people to do so. Some even care about what they're invested in are ethical businesses. That's not a bad thing and I don't hold it against them if they're not aware enough to know. We all need to discover our own moral compass. They are far easier to deal with, more real, and frequently interesting people in their own right. I'm happy for them if they're happy, and sad for them if they're not. It's true it's easy to be a fuck-up when you have a lot of money but I find wealth is really no barrier when it comes to that and most have themselves sorted out by the time they're my age.

Last edited by a moderator:

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I tend to think there are more of them now because of how our media glorifies such behavior (think reality shows e.g. Bridezillas) where before media and religious organizations (which fewer people attend) and schools (which don't dare to teach ethics or manners to kids any more) taught that it was contemptible.

'Struth.

I also find dismaying the media's pernicious celebration of attitude at the expense of manners. Regrettably, we have no one but ourselves to blame for it.

msmooooth

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Even before I became wealthy myself I didn't resent rich people. Becoming rich and/or remaining so is mostly a matter of discipline and choices. Luck while certainly a factor, has a lot less to do with it than most think. In my view, those who resent the rich most, are usually the ones who lack the education, motivation, and ingenuity to do anything beyond being a simple worker be.

BRAVO! Very well said!

B_New End

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
A man who runs computer security for the Bonneville power system is worth every penny of his paycheck, which can be substantial. A man who designs aircraft worth every penny, probably more. The man who designs intel Chips... priceless.

Some silk noose wearing yes man working for Goldman Sachs, pulling down 700,000 a year...... well, if the day comes they are throwing them is ovens... I'll be there with a shovel, spitting on the ashes.

B_spiker067

Experimental Member
Media
A man who runs computer security for the Bonneville power system is worth every penny of his paycheck, which can be substantial. A man who designs aircraft worth every penny, probably more. The man who designs intel Chips... priceless.

Some silk noose wearing yes man working for Goldman Sachs, pulling down 700,000 a year...... well, if the day comes they are throwing them is ovens... I'll be there with a shovel, spitting on the ashes.

Isn't the guy pulling down $700,000 at Goldman evidence of capitalism working? I mean why don't the investors punish these guys?

B_New End

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Isn't the guy pulling down $700,000 at Goldman evidence of capitalism working? I mean why don't the investors punish these guys?

Because the investors are those guys. Banks own all corporations. Just go to Yahoo, and look up share ownerships of any of the publicly traded companies. Most of them are majority share owned by banks and hedge funds... and they all meet in secret, behind closed doors, at Federal reserve meetings, and decide how they are going to manage th emoney supply, opr how much they are going to print... then they are first in line ot recieve money, directly from the printing press, at a low interest rate, so they can in turn lend it to a warehouser for a higher interest rate, who then loans it to local banks at a higher rate, who then loans it to real estate speculators at an even higher rate, who then loan it to people trying to buy houses at disastrous rates.

And it seriously is not capitalism anymore, by any definition of the word, except the cynical Michael Moore definition. It is outright fascism when the public bankrolls the banks.

Because the investors are those guys. Banks own all corporations. Just go to Yahoo, and look up share ownerships of any of the publicly traded companies. Most of them are majority share owned by banks and hedge funds... and they all meet in secret, behind closed doors, at Federal reserve meetings, and decide how they are going to manage th emoney supply, opr how much they are going to print... then they are first in line ot recieve money, directly from the printing press, at a low interest rate, so they can in turn lend it to a warehouser for a higher interest rate, who then loans it to local banks at a higher rate, who then loans it to real estate speculators at an even higher rate, who then loan it to people trying to buy houses at disastrous rates.

And it seriously is not capitalism anymore, by any definition of the word, except the cynical Michael Moore definition. It is outright fascism when the public bankrolls the banks.

And for every six of those dollars the banks loan YOU, the consumer, the Fed has only created one dollar. Five of those dollars are imaginary, invented right out of thin air by the stroke of a computer button, but completely legal. Monetary inflation at its best! Nothing like devaluing your own product because the buyer will pay full retail for it anyway!

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
When I was in Mexico City last year and traveled between the slums and the uber rich suburbs like Polanco and San Angel and seeing the disparity of wealth between the have and the have nots I began truly resenting all the rich Mexicans who have made their money exploiting the poor in that country. There's a reason why the rich have broken glass bottle tops on their tall masonry walls surrounding their homes. It's because they are the focus of intense hatred and resentment among most of the poor there.

I began thinking of all the filthy rich people in the US I resented. Most that I know made their money as Wall Street types. Contributing nothing to the common good or benefit of society they are parasites worthy of being strung up as the aristocracy was in the French Revolution. They have actually wrecked many peoples lives and livihoods by engineering mergers and take overs that eliminated good companies and their workers.

As the divide between the haves and have nots grows in America and the middle class erodes I begin to resent these people more and more. We all have been brainwashed to think that these rich people are living the American Dream through hard work and sacrifice but I think in all actuality most I know have stolen their money legally.

You present a very interesting case for reverse snobbery.

Not everyone who's monied is of the identical character any more than all poor people are kind and loving and generous.

The preposterous generalization you present as your OP premise defies human logic and understanding. People are people good and bad.

I know some monied folks who're responsible for vast philanthropy whose names will never be known simply because they desire anonymity.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Nearly all of them have some sort of narcissistic personality disorder. Inside they are deeply insecure and need what wealth can buy them in order to feed their insatiable need for security and approval. They buy the best suits, the big houses with rooms they don't need in the right zip codes, drive expensive cars without ever enjoying the capabilities of the cars, vacation at places they can drop in cocktail party conversations to impress others, and pull every string they possibly can to get their kids into the right schools. Were I only to know these people through their business dealings, I'd say they were confident, smooth, brilliant, and had it all. But that's not how I know them. I know them when they're at home, when they've had too much to drink, when they're in private, among family and friends, and they let their true selves show. The insecurities which dog them are endless; many of them engendered by their own parents to, "succeed, succeed, succeed!" and be ruthless doing so. They tend to have distant, never-satisfied fathers, and domineering status-conscious mothers. They feel whatever it is they do is never good enough for themselves or their loved ones, and even then, they find it difficult to love for they can't share their true selves with people who, by being loved, will hold so much power over them. To let down their guard with someone who could hurt them so much is unthinkable.

Most of the contemporaries he left behind don't have that and so continue on their path, becoming more bitter, self-destructive, emotionally inured, and most vociferous about the "right" and "good" person they've been in life because to acknowledge what they've been is far too difficult once the truth slowly dawns on them (if it ever does).

Of course some of these people are just plain sociopaths and never had a conscience to begin with so they just do what they do.

There's a ruthless quality in the assemblage of riches that I've always found grotesque, which you've summarized very nicely for me.

I do not resent such people, but don't automatically respect them, their accumulations or their sad little lives, either. Self-made types are rarely, truly self-made: their loot always seems to come from the exploitation of others which is rarely considerate, kind or generous, either in its process or in its outcome.

breeze

Experimental Member
Media
I don't know if its still the case but it use to be that 10% of the population owed 90% of the assests. At one time 1% owed 99% of all stocks. Half the population basically has a zero net worth. I don't believe any ceo is worth paying 500 million dollars a year. And its getting worse.
But there are 2 classes. The super rich which is a very small number and ordinary millionaires if you can call them ordinary. The ordinary millionaire may be your next door neighbor. They're inconspicuous.
The path to wealth isn't getting a harvard mba or a medical degree or going to college. The path to wealth in the usa is starting a small business. I believe that 95% of all millionaires started their own business.
That's our system and like they say no one has found anything better.

Mickactual

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
no, I aspire to be one someday.
LOL - same here.
...Buy yes, I do resent it. Not so much people who work hard and become successful. ...But I absolutely resent those who achieve it through corruption (Bernie Madoff anyone?), or those who are undeservingly born with a silver spoon in their mouths (can we say Melissa Rivers?).

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Do not resent the wealthy unless you know how they acquired it.

Some wealthy people are pigs. Some came by it honestly. And some use it to benefit others.

D_Jared Padalicki

Account Disabled
Media
I don't resent rich people. I liked the fact that I was a kid who's parents were rich. It was nice to have money and do nice stuff without worrying too much. Not that we were superrich, but we couldn't complain.
On the other hand, I don't think being rich and an adult is great... Relationships then aren't always based on love anymore and you only focus on teh money money and money... And that is what I see around me and also happend with my parents... one of the reasons they divorced because my dad was focused on the money...
So for who does we have to feel sorry for? the rick or the poor?

TragicWhiteKnight

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
one of the reasons they divorced because my dad was focused on the money...
So for who does we have to feel sorry for? the rick or the poor?

The rich have the option to not be obsessed by work; the poor don't get that luxury, if both parents need to take 2 jobs just to make ends meet.

eddyabs

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I think that it is the easy way out to resent someone because of their wealth....after all, who amongst us can really truly state that we would turn down a 5 million dollar/pound cheque? And then you have those who have worked hard and earnt their wealth through blood sweat and tears and those who have inherited it....maybe some of those who worked for it resent those who inherited it? Or maybe in the millionaires club all is fabulous.
To answer your question, no, I'm hoping that it will be me someday and that people will still like me.