Do you resent rich people?

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
That's an interesting question. My friends all think that I'm rich, but I don't. I do consider my brother rich. I guess it is all a matter of perspective.
This is such a complicated issue for something that is really quite simple. I consider myself "Comfortable" I know a few people who are really quite rich, but they are so unhappy and neurotic. In comparison I feel that I am in a better place.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
Interesting.

There is something in the conspicuousness of wealth. The richest people I know don't go around waving it in your face. Sure they have nice stuff, but you would hardly notice them. On the other hand, a lot of people who seem conspicuously wealthy are in fact not rich at all.

Then there is the question of using wealth. If you have it and you don't use it, does it exist?

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Then there is the question of using wealth. If you have it and you don't use it, does it exist?

Define use.

Sociologists have long said that the real difference between the rich and poor is that the poor spend their money while the rich invest theirs. It's why we read about lottery winners who are penniless within five years or less. They were never taught the basics in how to handle one's finances properly.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
Define use.

Sociologists have long said that the real difference between the rich and poor is that the poor spend their money while the rich invest theirs. It's why we read about lottery winners who are penniless within five years or less. They were never taught the basics in how to handle one's finances properly.

I was thinking in terms of being passive. You can use money to be something of an asshole which is what I imagine most people resent, but then you can use it to enhance your own life, those you love and the wider world if you so choose and/or are able.

Sitting on it and doing nothing should probably also be resented in terms of the wasted opportunity.

breeze

Experimental Member
Media
It is a complicated issue operating on many different levels. I don't think anyone comepletely understands it I can you give several examples.

Shakira gave a concert in mexico that drew over 200,000 people. Let's say the profits are about 5 million dollars. How should the profits be divided ? In this case if it weren't for shakira there wouldn't be any profits. And apparently there are a lot of people who don't resent the super rich because in shakira's case and in the case of other celebrities who made them super rich ?

Now in the case of rich businessmen who do you think founded and built all these businesses which created and creates the jobs we all have ? What if there wasn't an apple , a microsoft ? And keep in mind we're in global competition where literally our survival is at hand? What if we didn't have all these people founding and inventing products when the nazis came to power ? It was the industrial capacity of the united states which won the war.

So i guess it comes down to who deserves to be rich and how rich ?
There was a scientist/farmer/researcher who just passed away and was responsible for saving one billion lives who either developed a new grain or graining techniques. As far as i'm concerned we can't pay someone like that enough. On the hand i don't think the ceo of exxon should be paid a billion a year.

There was a theory i've heard through the years that 1-5% of the population runs the country and the rest of us just play around. The rich pay sometime like 50% i think of all taxes or more or maybe less.
Ralph nadar just wrote a book i read somewhere where he states the reform in the states will rest in the hands of the rich.

If we had a collective wil we could change a lot of things through congressional legistation but that will isn' there. It is partly popular opinion which has prevented universal health care.

mitchymo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It was the industrial capacity of the united states which won the war.

Don't get me started! :mad:

The rich pay sometime like 50% i think of all taxes or more or maybe less.

Either way the contribution is often equal.
A richer man might pay more tax but the % of income is rarely any different to that of a poor man.

B_jeepguy2

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
My clients are all very rich. I don't mean doctor or stockbroker rich. I mean fucking uber-wealthy. Able to drop 10 to 30m on a toy and 1-5m per year to run it. Over the past 20 years there have been only a few that were jerks, and those ones were the guys struggling a bit to be in the game. You know, the ones that are trying to look richer than they are.

Most of them made their own fortunes and are nice as can be personally and don't mind spreading it around. I'm very happy to know them and be friends with them. :wink:

There are some real unconscious assholes out there. This summer I met a Russian that was bragging about how he had put new engines in his yacht (it's an ugly piece of .... btw) and now he can cruise to St. Tropez doing 50mph and burns 4000 liters of diesel per hour. He was crying about the fuel in a comic "poor me" way, but really he was just bragging in the most crass way possible. I didn't resent him. I wanted to kick him in the nuts.

What business are you in? If your clients are that you are not doing too bad yourself! Let me guess yacht broker? LOL

Last edited:

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
What business are you in? If your clients are that you are not doing too bad yourself! Let me guess yacht broker? LOL
You have no idea how insulting that is!! :cool: Let's just say I know quite a few brokers.

B_theOtherJJ

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
YES, as much as I resent HUNG people, beautiful people, talented people, kind people, funny people,.......... DAMN, I resent just about EVERYONE.....

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Do you resent rich people?

I don't resent all rich people. There are some rich people who have a total heart of gold. I know a few.

I am not resentful. Some rich people aren't nice though. I don't resent them...I don't care to hang out with those people.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
ironically,for many years i did .. dont know wgy
was not envy on my part,think it was just .. not my personal thing to accumulate riches
so i felt folk who did .. were fools..
talking here the xtra excessivly wealthy ..not the common rich
THEN
after years of that,i suddenly realised,well thats them and there life...
so since then,i allow them to enjoy there wealth ..ha
but....
i still and always will HATE the corporates,and there bosses and greed
filthy bastards...............its that GREED i hate the most
admittedly the individuals with wealth .. some of it may have come from the corporate investments etc etc
but who gives a f...k
enz
agree wholeheartedly with yr take on it all Vince'

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
True, but "making money" and being "rich" are not the same thing. Today, being rich means making a whole lot of money. And there just aren't that many opportunities to make the kind of money that's required to be "rich". So, to posit that "anyone can be rich!" is disingenuous, at best.

SilverTrain speaks the truth. A million bucks is not a lot of money nor has it been for many, many, many decades. Therefore, I prefer to regard myself as a "spiritual" millionaire when any one starts spooking around talking about money.

The very wealthy, people I've known and know who could buy an E.U. country, have always been gracious and downright humble. They tend to have sweaters and suits repaired than buy new stuff. New shoes? What's wrong with having the old and more comfortable ones repaired with new soles and heels? That's probably why they're so wealthy.

But those who use wealth to buy political influence to control the lives of others (Alan Ashton, cofounder/inventor of WordPerfect, for example), well, they deserve all the hate, loathing and public exposure possible. Dr. Ashton (former BYU computer professor) has routinely used his fortune to underwrite such little things as . . . um . . . Proposition 8? (He donated $1,000,000 according to the Prop8 organizations own records.) His attorneys were in attendance at all of the Social Service hearings during the 1990s in Ewetaw to prevent gay men and women from having the right to adopt -- and in many instances, keep -- children. And the irony, of course, is that his student and co-inventor Bruce Bastion (who was a graduate student in the late 70's at BYU) eventually came out of the closet to his wife and kids as one of the biggest queens in Provo, Ewetaw.

So, in case you needed one, there's ANOTHER excuse to put up with Microsoft Word and not use WordPerfect (although Ashton and Bastion sold their interest to Corel many moons ago.

Just imagine! :smile:

CODA: I should also mention the fate of Bruce Bastion, who worked assiduously, donating time, energy, and contributed half of the Don't Amend Alliance's budget for fighting Utah's constitutional amendment defining marriage as between only a man and a woman. (Sadly, the amendment passed in 2004.) He is currently a member of the board of directors of the Human Rights Campaign (HRC). In addition, on July 26, 2008 at the San Francisco Human Rights Campaign dinner, Bastian announced his donation of $1 million to HRC, designated to fight California Proposition 8 in 2008 -- and we all know how well that went. Oh, and he's a bottom. Ask me how I know. Go ahead. Ask me. :biggrin1:

Last edited:

joyboytoy79

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I resent those for whom money is everything. One needn't be rich to fit into this category. As a student, I'm disheartened every time someone asks me "is there any money in that field?" It's equally appalling when someone tells me they want to be a doctor because the money is good. What ever happened to enjoying your career? What happened to doing something because it betters mankind?

MONEY IS NOT EVERYTHING!

That said, I know many people who live quite comfortably, and are extremely generous with their money and their time. I have no resentment toward them.