Do you say "blacks" or "African Americans?"

Dr. Dilznick

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Out of curiosity, do you generally say "blacks" or "African Americans?" Or perhaps "black people," "black folks," "Afro-Americans," "Negroes," "Negroids," "niggas," "niggers" or "Negritos." Generally speaking. In this thread it may do good to address your own race so we know where you're coming from.

zaphod

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm white, and I say "blacks", that was the "approved" word when I was growing up. Before that, it was "colored people", when the NAACP formed. Perhaps, since "african american" is the current "approved" term, the NAACP should change to the NAAAA.

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I use the term black since that is the word that is actually preferred by people of colour in my area. Many black Americans here find the term African-American to be amusing since they have never been to Africa, don't speak an African language and have nothing of African culture. The 'Afro-centric' movement is American in origin, and has little to do with things African. For example, Kwanzaa, though it has a Swahili name, is not an African celebration: it originated in California. Starting something new and using Bantu words does not make it an African custom. While in college, I asked an exchange student from Kenya what he thought about Kwanzaa. He just shrugged and said, "What would I know about Kwanzaa? At home, we celebrate Christmas. I never heard of Kwanzaa before I came to this country."

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I use "black" and "white" even though neither is technically accurate. I don't want to be put on the spot to guess someone's national heritage, I have no fucking clue. I also use "asian" and "middle eastern" as best guesses. As for slurs, however someone refers to themselves is fine by me but I have a problem with other people using them with malicious intent.

I'm East Indian and German half and half, so what my race is is anyone's guess.

Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I'm white

I say African American when speaking formally, Black when speaking casually

I know some white folks that kind of roll their eyes at me when I say "African American," kind of like 'why do you have to be so PC.'

I say, why NOT show a little respect, especially if you want to BE respected

I mean, what is so fucking hard about calling someone the name that they want to be called?

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
First off, I am White.

I say Black, because that's what the majority of my Black friends say. They don't get into the whole "Afro-centric" movement with the African names, African art, and stuff like that. I do have a few friends who HAVE been to Africa who do embrace some of the culture, only because they have experienced it first hand. That is no different than me embracing the cultures any of my many nationalities because I have been to some of the countries where my family is from.

I have a couple of Black friends who do say African-American and I also have a couple that jokingly call themselves "negroes."

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm "white." I suppose I could refer to myself as "european-american", but that is ludicrous. I would refer to a naturalized american citizen from africa, or even their children, as african-american... but it makes no sense to use that term for someone whose family has been in this country for several generations.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by Axex@Sep 25 2005, 09:25 PM
Well I don't know much, but I think "African American" and "Black" refer to different groups of people. I think people bend over backwards to be politically correct when instead they're actually incorrect. (I think) African American would refer to that first generation...after that it's of African decent. Not all black people are African Americans. For instance the slaves that were brought to the caribbean to work on sugar plantations, they might have been from Africa originally, but if they immigrate to the U.S. then they would necessarily be African Americans. I use the term "black" unless I'm talking about a specific group of people that could be thought up as "African Americans" or "Of African decent" etc.

That's just my understanding...

As for slurs, well I'm really against them. My mom was raised Jewish...therefore I'm technically Jewish. Whenever I hear the word "kike" I get so upset. Words like that carry so much hate, and I think continuing use of those words just continue hate. When my half brother calls himself a "whop" or a "dego" I cringe. Facilitating ignorance isn't what we want to be doing. So yeah I stay away from words like that.
[post=346471]Quoted post[/post]​

Julian ,,
You simply amaze me, baby.All I can do is second that emotion! LOL!

Naughty

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by Axex@Sep 25 2005, 09:25 PM
Well I don't know much, but I think "African American" and "Black" refer to different groups of people. I think people bend over backwards to be politically correct when instead they're actually incorrect. (I think) African American would refer to that first generation...after that it's of African decent. Not all black people are African Americans. For instance the slaves that were brought to the caribbean to work on sugar plantations, they might have been from Africa originally, but if they immigrate to the U.S. then they would necessarily be African Americans. I use the term "black" unless I'm talking about a specific group of people that could be thought up as "African Americans" or "Of African decent" etc.

That's just my understanding...

As for slurs, well I'm really against them. My mom was raised Jewish...therefore I'm technically Jewish. Whenever I hear the word "kike" I get so upset. Words like that carry so much hate, and I think continuing use of those words just continue hate. When my half brother calls himself a "whop" or a "dego" I cringe. Facilitating ignorance isn't what we want to be doing. So yeah I stay away from words like that.
[post=346471]Quoted post[/post]​

Julian ,,
You simply amaze me, baby.All I can do is second that emotion! LOL!

Naughty

D_Barbi_Queue

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm a honky and I usually say "black" or sometimes "African American" - I never use the "n" word nor any other racial slurs (except for referring to myself as a honky b/c I just find it hilarious instead of offensive).

Actually, do any "white" people get offended by being called "honky" or "cracker"?

Pye

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
I say 'black' I really didn't care for the Afro-American idea.

This group has a lot of other countries representing -- what do they use in their countries? and why are we so worried about it? I don't go around saying "my black friend" or "my hispanic friend" or "my white friend".

Nice of you to respond to this Lex ...my black friend

surferboy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I'm white, and I say black. I don't like being PC. I dunno, I just think it's rediculous. Now, if you were actually born in Africa, then I'd prolly call you African-American.

dcwrestlefan

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by TexAssgirl@Sep 26 2005, 02:14 AM

Actually, do any "white" people get offended by being called "honky" or "cracker"?
[post=346517]Quoted post[/post]​

Don't care what people call me, as long as they call me. ;-)

Cracker, at least around here, means "redneck". Nah, would rather not be called that.

I use "black" more often than African American. But whatever the person
wants to be called is fine with me.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Wow, both off topic AND potentially offensive in the same post, and all in under10 words.

AMAZING.

On topic with 2 points:

1. As Axex just noted, saying THEM or THOSE PEOPLE can be offensive as well (to whomever you are referring).

2. I forgot to mention that I have no preference between Black and African American and use them both equally at work, school, when I teach, etc.

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Originally posted by dcwrestlefan+Sep 26 2005, 12:43 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dcwrestlefan &#064; Sep 26 2005, 12:43 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-TexAssgirl@Sep 26 2005, 02:14 AM

Cracker, at least around here, means "redneck". Nah, would rather not be called that.

[/b][/quote]

Cracker, in my understanding, means redneck, too. I&#39;m the farthest thing from being a redneck, so I don&#39;t think that the designation "cracker" would apply to me.

Honky has always carried a rather negative connotation, not as offensive as the N word, but along those lines. Honky isn&#39;t used to oppress people, but it&#39;s ususally spewed with the same kind of feeling (venom), not used as a term of endearment.

My bougie black friends all tell my that I&#39;m just , in their words, (upcoming ghetto grammar alert) a "light skinded" brutha. (brother) A classically trained musician friend I know recently married a member of my church. She had never attended before, because she sings as the alto soloist at another church. She&#39;s only heard my play in recitals and play "high brow" type things before. She attended church with her new husband yesterday and came up to talk to me after church and was laughing. She said, "you don&#39;t play those hymns like a white man--they all play so straight, you play with too much soul. ..and from out in the congregation, you really do look mixed. It&#39;s no wonder everyone here thinks you&#39;re part black."

I&#39;ll just take the designation "me" because I don&#39;t really fit any. When most people think "white", they think of the WASP coloration, not those of us who are light olive complectioned with dark hair. White and black may give a basic clue to a person&#39;s race, but it&#39;s such a broad sweep that it in no way describes them.

We are who we are and we all defy descriptions.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by prepstudinsc+Sep 26 2005, 10:36 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prepstudinsc &#064; Sep 26 2005, 10:36 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by dcwrestlefan@Sep 26 2005, 12:43 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-TexAssgirl
@Sep 26 2005, 02:14 AM

Cracker, in my understanding, means redneck, too. I&#39;m the farthest thing from being a redneck, so I don&#39;t think that the designation "cracker" would apply to me.

Honky has always carried a rather negative connotation, not as offensive as the N word, but along those lines. Honky isn&#39;t used to oppress people, but it&#39;s ususally spewed with the same kind of feeling (venom), not used as a term of endearment.

My bougie black friends all tell my that I&#39;m just , in their words, (upcoming ghetto grammar alert) a "light skinded" brutha. (brother) A classically trained musician friend I know recently married a member of my church. She had never attended before, because she sings as the alto soloist at another church. She&#39;s only heard my play in recitals and play "high brow" type things before. She attended church with her new husband yesterday and came up to talk to me after church and was laughing. She said, "you don&#39;t play those hymns like a white man--they all play so straight, you play with too much soul. ..and from out in the congregation, you really do look mixed. It&#39;s no wonder everyone here thinks you&#39;re part black."

I&#39;ll just take the designation "me" because I don&#39;t really fit any. When most people think "white", they think of the WASP coloration, not those of us who are light olive complectioned with dark hair. White and black may give a basic clue to a person&#39;s race, but it&#39;s such a broad sweep that it in no way describes them.

We are who we are and we all defy descriptions.
[post=346612]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

LOL&#33;

I told you that you resembled my brother&#33; LOL&#33; "White" is more a politcal designation than anything else. There have been a number of books written about how subsequent ethnic immigrant groups have moved into the "White" group over time. The have even been indiginous peoples who attempted the move and sometimes with tragic results ( The Cherokee) Even though they owned slaves ,assimilated , and even intermarried that did not stop the passage of the "Indian Removal Act" during the time of Andrew Jackson. What is white has shifted and morphed in order to appease the prevailing notions of the time. But there are always going to be some that are "whiter" than others and some who may look whiter than white who have not and will not be given a ticket to ride.....

Naughty

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
Originally posted by prepstudinsc@Sep 26 2005, 06:36 AM
When most people think "white", they think of the WASP coloration, not those of us who are light olive complectioned with dark hair. White and black may give a basic clue to a person&#39;s race, but it&#39;s such a broad sweep that it in no way describes them.
[post=346612]Quoted post[/post]​

Gee, Monty, I&#39;d expect you to have that funeral home pasty look a la Crispin Glover in Willard.