Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
LOL Pecker. I am not your typical mortician...I don't have pasty skin, I don't have cold, clammy hands, and I don't lurk around silently. While being compassionate, I get my families to remember the good things about their "dearly departed" and while making arrangements, I converse with them and try to get them to tell the funny stories that really tell who the person was. That way I can find out how to best tailor a service to their needs. I laugh and play with the kids that come to the funeral home, because they don't want to be there and try teach them the healthy attitudes about death--not to be scared of it, that it's a part of life.

Regarding Native Americans, I know some who are lighter in complection than I am. What's funny about my darker coloring is that I get most of my dark coloring from my Irish and French sides. The Italian side is all very light, thanks to the Swiss blood that's mixed in.

Dr. Dilznick

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Originally posted by Bill Clinton
DECADENT NEGROID SWINE.

No, seriously I just refer to them as "Black"
I was called a "Negroid" once by the grandfather of one of my college "friends." Apparently he had been racking his brain for the least offensive thing possible and decided that "Negroid" was the way to go because it sounded scientific. He went on and on about how us Negroids don't like cold weather, as evidenced by his vacation in Negril, Jamaica, where it's hot all the time, but many Negroids still wear winter hats.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Negroid? LOL!

That is great! I'm sorry that was probably a most bizarre experience but funny as all get out! I think he had probably been watching "Soul Man" too many times!
By the way....is that by any chance related to an "Ass-teroid"? That is exactly what that comment made him sounded like. What about "Frank" and calling it a day?

Naughty

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Originally posted by Dr. Dilznick+Sep 26 2005, 08:49 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dr. Dilznick &#064; Sep 26 2005, 08:49 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Bill Clinton
DECADENT NEGROID SWINE.

No, seriously I just refer to them as "Black"
I was called a "Negroid" once by the grandfather of one of my college "friends." Apparently he had been racking his brain for the least offensive thing possible and decided that "Negroid" was the way to go because it sounded scientific. He went on and on about how us Negroids don&#39;t like cold weather, as evidenced by his vacation in Negril, Jamaica, where it&#39;s hot all the time, but many Negroids still wear winter hats.
[post=346627]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

Uh, what about all the black people who live in places like Detroit, Chicago, or New York, let alone the black populations in Canada. I wouldn&#39;t call those places warm year round. People can be so stupid. One of the finest choral conductors/composers of the 20th century was from Canada and was black, btw.

D_Barbi_Queue

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Off Topic (I&#39;m sorry): Monty, you&#39;re a mortician? How did I miss that? Do you follow that typical cliche of a man eating a sandwich and chips while working over a dead body?

lapdog2001

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
"Black" was what I grew up with, so it is hard to use another term. I agree that "African American" really doesn&#39;t apply unless you were born in Africa.

I am an American...
... who happens to be "White". I do not refer to myself as a "European American"
My ethnic heritage is mostly Irish and French, but I am 2nd and 3rd generation American, so I don&#39;t &#39;affiliate&#39; with Ireland or France, except as the origin of my ancestors.

I am not Irish-American, or French-American, I am an American.

LapDog :p

Dr. Bubbles

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I am Indian (American Indian). I say Black. I say White. I say Hispanic/Latino.

If we wanted to technically be PC, we would identify people according to their nation or countries instead of broadly linking everyone into this racial sub-categories.

Blah....

B_cricketsliar

Experimental Member
Media
Originally posted by Dr. Dilznick@Sep 25 2005, 08:59 PM
Out of curiosity, do you generally say "blacks" or "African Americans?" Or perhaps "black people," "black folks," "Afro-Americans," "Negroes," "Negroids," "niggas," "niggers" or "Negritos." Generally speaking. In this thread it may do good to address your own race so we know where you&#39;re coming from.
[post=346466]Quoted post[/post]​

I would rarely say "African-American" when describing another black person in an informal, or intimate setting with other "Blacks". In terms of a formal and or professional situation, during which ,I would be speaking primarily to "White People", the term "African-American" would come into play. Also, when speaking to fellow blacks in a Racially Diverse environment weather informal or formal I would tend to use the term "African-American". Of course there are always exceptions&#33;

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by Dr. Dilznick@Sep 26 2005, 07:49 AM
I was called a "Negroid" once by the grandfather of one of my college "friends."

I have a friend who refers to himself as Negroid, or just &#39;Groid for short. He refers to his mother as a Negress. I think he does it for reaction, so I don&#39;t follow his usage. When I speak about him, he&#39;s my friend, not my black friend.

I&#39;m Latino, but for the most part I just refer to myself as American. I&#39;m a US citizen, so I&#39;m entitled to that designation. When race is germane to the conversation, I don&#39;t mind Latino or Hispanic or, more specifically, Cuban. Understandably, I don&#39;t care for Greaser.

hippyscum

Experimental Member
Media
I say "black" but it&#39;s not my primary description tool... I tend to describe height, build, hair, eyes, etc. before I click on and think "oh yeah, he&#39;s black".

Oh and I&#39;m white... whiter than most due to the Scottish weather that&#39;s living upto it&#39;s horrible reputation just now.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Actually, Orca&#39;s black.

And for the record, Indians generally aren&#39;t very PC. We&#39;re also generally not vegetarians, or any other ideologies the hippies have associated us with.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by DoubleMeatWhopper+Sep 26 2005, 08:57 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DoubleMeatWhopper &#064; Sep 26 2005, 08:57 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Dr. Dilznick@Sep 26 2005, 07:49 AM
I was called a "Negroid" once by the grandfather of one of my college "friends."

I have a friend who refers to himself as Negroid, or just &#39;Groid for short. He refers to his mother as a Negress. I think he does it for reaction, so I don&#39;t follow his usage. When I speak about him, he&#39;s my friend, not my black friend.

I&#39;m Latino, but for the most part I just refer to myself as American. I&#39;m a US citizen, so I&#39;m entitled to that designation. When race is germane to the conversation, I don&#39;t mind Latino or Hispanic or, more specifically, Cuban. Understandably, I don&#39;t care for Greaser.
[post=346727]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

LOL&#33;

DMW,

I love that &#33; I think I am going to use that one myself. Ok folks if you see me refering to people as Groids, Soids and Loids, you will know where it came from. You saw it here first &#33; LOL&#33; Oh and for people that are truly ignorant you know what "roid" stands for too&#33; LOL&#33;

Naughty

D_Barbi_Queue

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Originally posted by Lex@Sep 26 2005, 05:31 AM

On topic with 2 points:

1. As Axex just noted, saying THEM or THOSE PEOPLE can be offensive as well (to whomever you are referring).
[post=346601]Quoted post[/post]​

I&#39;ve always known that and have avoided ever saying "those people" or any variation of those words when referring to another race. But after reading this earlier today, I started wondering why it is that one of those phrases are offensive.

Is it just offensive when referring to another race? B/C I don&#39;t find it the least bit offensive when referring to another group of people that are unlike myself in other situations. For instance, when talking about professional athletes: "Those people make a hell of a lot more money than me." I&#39;m just guessing that if a professional athelete heard me say that, they wouldn&#39;t take offense.

Am I making sense, or just rambling? :shrug:

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by TexAssgirl+Sep 27 2005, 12:33 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TexAssgirl &#064; Sep 27 2005, 12:33 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Lex@Sep 26 2005, 05:31 AM

On topic with 2 points:

1.  As Axex just noted, saying THEM or THOSE PEOPLE can be offensive as well (to whomever you are referring).
[post=346601]Quoted post[/post]​

I&#39;ve always known that and have avoided ever saying "those people" or any variation of those words when referring to another race. But after reading this earlier today, I started wondering why it is that one of those phrases are offensive.

Is it just offensive when referring to another race? B/C I don&#39;t find it the least bit offensive when referring to another group of people that are unlike myself in other situations. For instance, when talking about professional athletes: "Those people make a hell of a lot more money than me." I&#39;m just guessing that if a professional athelete heard me say that, they wouldn&#39;t take offense.

Am I making sense, or just rambling? :shrug:
[post=346787]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

Leslie,

You make lots of sense. I think the difference is that when you are talking about Atheletes you are refereing to a profession and there is no racial or ethnic singling out . But when we refer to other racial or ethnic groups as those people it has a slightly dismissive edge.

Naughty

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I don&#39;t particularly care for the phrase at all, in reference to anyone (because I don&#39;t like it in reference to me and my kind). For example, I&#39;ll say "Professional atheletes make a lot more money than do I." THOSE PEOPLE (to me) has an inherent snobish elitism that even *I* won&#39;t touch. ;)

The thing about offensiveness is that it is all from the perspective of the person offended. I may say something with no real INTENTION of offending someone and do so just the same. Makes it hard--so i try to not say things that would offend ME and go forward with that reflective perspective. There is no reality, only perception. So I suggest (because i know someone will say--well, what if I don&#39;t THINK that I am bein goffensive) that if someone takes what you say or do as offensive--seek to understand it and learn from it and not repeat it (at least, that is what I *try* to do).

Does that make sense?

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I dont believe in the word African American.

Either your American or your not. Were you born here? If so, your american.
If not, then your african, south american etc etc.

They need to get rid of the Race feature of polls, surveys, applications.
Its not supposed to matter EITHER way...so why have it?

jay_too

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
In high school, my friends were Black. Then, I was in Atlanta for the Olympics and was hanging with a Black guy...."Puleeze, it is African American. Is my skin black?" I went away to Cornell and either seemed to be acceptable.

When I came out to Stanford, the guy in the apartment next door told me that he preferred "person of color." OK. So I start using person of color until a couple of guyz told me that they were Black and asked me if they looked like Indians? When I asked about African American as a descriptor, they asked, "Do you refer to yourself as English American?"

jay

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by ChimeraTX+Sep 27 2005, 01:52 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ChimeraTX &#064; Sep 27 2005, 01:52 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Rikter8@Sep 26 2005, 08:39 PM
Either your American or your not.  Were you born here?  If so, your american.
If not, then your african, south american etc etc.
[post=346798]Quoted post[/post]​
They traded in the "melting pot" for the "mosaic". ;)

There is no adhesion. Jewish Americans are more loyal to Jews than to non-Jewish Americans. I am more loyal to Whites that to non-White Americans. African Americans are more loyal to Africans that to non-African Americans. "Blood is thicker than water." afterall. :happy:

Civic nationhood is arbitrary.
[post=346800]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

Chimera,

Do not presume to know what other people prefer. We are all individuals .Though some may have racial preferences there are others who have people of all race creeds and colors who they consider their closest friends .

Naughty

lapdog2001

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by Rikter8@Sep 26 2005, 09:39 PM
They need to get rid of the Race feature of polls, surveys, applications.
Its not supposed to matter EITHER way...so why have it?
[post=346798]Quoted post[/post]​

Except for official government documents, or other things that require race by law,
I always select &#39;other&#39; or &#39;prefer not to answer&#39;. If it says &#39;Other&#39; then &#39;Please specify&#39;,
I put &#39;other&#39; in the other box. ;)

I didn&#39;t think it was allowed to be asked on job applications.

LapDog :p