Do you say "blacks" or "African Americans?"

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Originally posted by ChimeraTX+Sep 26 2005, 08:57 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ChimeraTX &#064; Sep 26 2005, 08:57 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> That is an interesting view. I am inclined to believe that the delineation between "us" and "them" has a genetic basis.[/b]

What part of TAG delineating between herself and athletes has a genetic basis? Did I miss something or do you just HAVE to superimpose your genetic worldviews on EVERYTHING no matter the fit?

<!--QuoteBegin-Chimera

I have met people whom a simple "hello" angers. I no longer care if what I say is perceived as offensive. I have made more friends saying whatever I want that by being politically-correct.
[/quote]

From the rediculous to the sublime (or maybe vice versa?). Your hello example doesn&#39;t hold water and is a gross over- and mis- generalization, IMO. Sure, we can all have friends no matter how we present and behave. That does not preclude, however, the fact the a person may be perceived in a way that hinders his or her ability to make all too important inroads and connections with people across the country (world) necessary to get ahead and promote one&#39;s dreams and visions to others (and be HEARD doing so). I posit that one of the reasons that few "hear" you, despite the well-typed posts you post is due to your constant offensiveness (intentional or not). Think about it, young man.

Dr. Dilznick

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Originally posted by DoubleMeatWhopper+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DoubleMeatWhopper)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Dr. Dilznick
I was called a "Negroid" once by the grandfather of one of my college "friends."

I have a friend who refers to himself as Negroid, or just &#39;Groid for short. He refers to his mother as a Negress.
[/b][/quote]
Many of us do, but not when talking to a white. File it under "coonery." Funny thing is, the equivalents of these terms would be perfectly acceptable in other countries.

Dr. Dilznick

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Originally posted by naughty

DMW,

I love that &#33; I think I am going to use that one myself. Ok folks if you see me refering to people as Groids, you will know where it came from. You saw it here first &#33;
I&#39;ve used that term on multiple occasions on this board alone. "Congoids" as well.

Don&#39;t sleep.

DanielForever

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
if your white your caucasion, but if your south west european your &#39;hispanic&#39;, if your from west asia your &#39;arab&#39; and if your from east asia your &#39;oriental&#39;

i think oriental, hispanic and arab are more offensive that black or white

so the oposite caucasion is non-caucasion, as the oposite of white is black? i think thats the best way to do it, caucasion or no-cau.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Originally posted by DanielForever@Sep 27 2005, 07:23 AM
i think oriental, hispanic and arab are more offensive that black or white

so the oposite caucasion is non-caucasion, as the oposite of white is black? i think thats the best way to do it, caucasion or no-cau.
[post=346855]Quoted post[/post]​
What an odd perspective&#33; I&#39;ll be certain, in the future, to be careful what I say around people from The United Non-caucasian Emirates, and not call them arabs.

Regarding the old-fashioned Negroid/Mongoloid/Caucasoid designations... perhaps some people who appear to have descended from a garden flower should be referred to as "Asteroid."

This whole topic points out my observation that too many people in this country are overly sensitive, and actively look for reasons to be offended. My prime example is the lawsuit just a few years ago, against Southwest Airlines. There were some delays in boarding a particular flight; trying to speed up the process a bit, and get underway, the flight attendant announced on the PA system, "Eenie, meenie, minie, moe, grab a seat, it&#39;s time to go&#33;" Two passengers felt victimized, and filed suit. I heard the old saying many times as a child, but I was an adult before I discovered that some people said the rhyme using "nigger" rather than "tiger."

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
As far as I can tell, I&#39;m not from Africa. Perhaps some section of my DNA can make its way back through time to that location. If you&#39;re a Creationist, then we&#39;re all just committing incest anyway since we all link back to Adam and Eve. (Eve gave me the good hair, y&#39;know. Pfffbt.) (And yeah, that Creation thing was just a joke...)

I&#39;m not even all that in love with the word "black" either since I&#39;m kinda brownish... and for a long, long time, I just kept marking black as my race because people were more like to see me as a black person than a white person no matter how "blended" my features. It was simple that way. But I like being two kinds, so I always mark Other or specify Biracial.

Black and white.
Like a chess pie.
Or an Oreo cookie.

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by DanielForever@Sep 27 2005, 06:23 AM
if your from west asia your &#39;arab&#39;

Oh? Look at a map of western Asia. Try telling an Israeli, an Armenian, a Georgian, An Iranian or a Turk that he&#39;s an Arab ... and see what reponse you get&#33;

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Originally posted by DC_DEEP@Sep 27 2005, 04:01 AM
Regarding the old-fashioned Negroid/Mongoloid/Caucasoid designations... perhaps some people who appear to have descended from a garden flower should be referred to as "Asteroid."
[post=346860]Quoted post[/post]​
-oids are stupid terms. Most people worldwide really don&#39;t fall into racial types like that.

B_cricketsliar

Experimental Member
Media
Originally posted by jay_too@Sep 27 2005, 03:09 AM
In high school, my friends were Black. Then, I was in Atlanta for the Olympics and was hanging with a Black guy...."Puleeze, it is African American. Is my skin black?" I went away to Cornell and either seemed to be acceptable.

When I came out to Stanford, the guy in the apartment next door told me that he preferred "person of color." OK. So I start using person of color until a couple of guyz told me that they were Black and asked me if they looked like Indians? When I asked about African American as a descriptor, they asked, "Do you refer to yourself as English American?"

jay
[post=346809]Quoted post[/post]​

I have always thought that I understood the usage of "person of color" to be a oppositional negative in racial catergorizations during Colonialism. I thought that "person of color" was historically used to delineate those not "White", and therefore not sharing in political, social, or economic power. Now I understand that some people say "person of color" as a term of racial inclusivity to describe any individual or group not considered "White". But isn&#39;t this still an oppositional negative, since we would never refer to "Whites" as "person lacking color". It just bothers me a little.

B_cricketsliar

Experimental Member
Media
Originally posted by jay_too@Sep 27 2005, 03:09 AM
In high school, my friends were Black. Then, I was in Atlanta for the Olympics and was hanging with a Black guy...."Puleeze, it is African American. Is my skin black?" I went away to Cornell and either seemed to be acceptable.

When I came out to Stanford, the guy in the apartment next door told me that he preferred "person of color." OK. So I start using person of color until a couple of guyz told me that they were Black and asked me if they looked like Indians? When I asked about African American as a descriptor, they asked, "Do you refer to yourself as English American?"

jay
[post=346809]Quoted post[/post]​

Do you refer to yourself as an English American? I have&#39;nt heard anyone ever refer to themselves that way. I have heard some Black Americans say that they are not African-American, because they emigrated from Haiti, Panama,Jamaica, and or Belize.

arktrucker

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I have a different view of this whole thing. I don&#39;t use either black or white. My partner and I have two sons we adopted when their mother passed away. They were the two youngest of 5 brothers. The family "took" who they wanted and nobody wanted the babies. Their mother was besides being our housekeeper a very dear friend. We raised these boys from diapers. In our house there was no color. They have called each other &#39;niggar&#39; but just out of earshot of us.
They both were raised colorblind and don&#39;t abide with any of the names or slurs. Both have caucasian wives and have presented us with grandchildren that I&#39;m sure will be raised the same as they were.
When they were in high school they told me I was blacker than them... hmmm what do you suppose that meant??

B_cricketsliar

Experimental Member
Media
Originally posted by arktrucker@Sep 28 2005, 11:17 PM
I have a different view of this whole thing. I don&#39;t use either black or white. My partner and I have two sons we adopted when their mother passed away. They were the two youngest of 5 brothers. The family "took" who they wanted and nobody wanted the babies. Their mother was besides being our housekeeper a very dear friend. We raised these boys from diapers. In our house there was no color. They have called each other &#39;niggar&#39; but just out of earshot of us.
They both were raised colorblind and don&#39;t abide with any of the names or slurs. Both have caucasian wives and have presented us with grandchildren that I&#39;m sure will be raised the same as they were.
When they were in high school they told me I was blacker than them... hmmm what do you suppose that meant??
[post=347306]Quoted post[/post]​

Because of their age I would&#39;nt read that much into it. But I am curious what you consider color blind child rearing? Would it be wrong to assume that you are also raising them to be Culturally Literate, and Culturally Aware. Are you teaching them that not all people have been raised color blind, and that COLOR BLIND people should HAVE THE ABILITY TO RECOGNIZE RACISM.