Do You Speak Any Language Other Than English?

Do You Speak Any Language Other Than English?

• Total voters

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I caught the mistakes after I had posted and consumed some coffee, but thought WTF...I not fluent anyway!

:biggrin1: Not being mean, just laughing at a couple of slight misspellings...
your quote, translated...​

"a skin french, and a small freckle spanish (spelled italian style)"​

sdg475

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I can understand and convey ideas in Spanish, and at times Italian, but I am definitely no where near fluent. Aside from a few random and basic phrases in a handful of languages that's all I know.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I caught the mistakes after I had posted and consumed some coffee, but thought WTF...I not fluent anyway!
:biggrin1: Well, I kept thinking "french skin is a condom," then I remembered, it's "French letter" that means "condom." I read French better than I speak it, and my listening & comprehension is near zero. It's a tricky language, with all those silent letters and especially with all those silent words and phrases.

I wonder if I'm the only person here who speaks any Hausa (major West African language)?

Ina jin Hausa k'adan-k'adan.
I don't know any Nigerian (I don't even know if that's a language unto itself) but usually, if I am around a person on a regular basis, and that person speaks another language besides English, I try to learn a little.

I worked at a university a few years back, and one of our students was from Uganda. She was teaching me a few phrases in Luganda, and all I remember is pronounced "chee-KAH-tay". It means "hello" or "what's up."

I worked with a woman from Eritrea. I'm not sure which of their languages she spoke, but apparently Eritrea has about 6 predominant languages.

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think we all know I speak French VERY fluently :tongue:

Actually I speak it better than I write it since I don't have the accented vowels and things plus I forget how to spell verbs and tenses and shit. But I spose I know the basics and conjunctions etc.

So mainly French and English and a few of the 'basics' in most languages.

fgeorgio

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I speak my native language Greek then English,French,German and i can hold basic conversations in Ukrainian and Serbian.

EagleCowboy

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I speak the language of love fluently
Body language
English--can even do the British accent very well
I also speak one of the 5 dialects of the Cherokee language. That's because I'm over 1/4 Cherokee and lived in the Cherokee capital for many, many years. I'm also 1/16 Choctaw and tried to learn that language but it escapes me.

celt04

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I don't know any Nigerian (I don't even know if that's a language unto itself) but usually, if I am around a person on a regular basis, and that person speaks another language besides English, I try to learn a little.

There's no single Nigerian language, the official language is English, there are three "main" languages (Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo) and a total of somewhere between 250 and 500 languages.

It's a complicated place.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
There's no single Nigerian language, the official language is English, there are three "main" languages (Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo) and a total of somewhere between 250 and 500 languages.

It's a complicated place.
I figured that was probably the case.

Dr. Dilznick

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Well, I kept thinking "french skin is a condom," then I remembered, it's "French letter" that means "condom." I read French better than I speak it, and my listening & comprehension is near zero. It's a tricky language, with all those silent letters [...]
Especially when presumed "silent" letters aren't silent at all. Examples: Anvers (Antwerp), some French last names ending in "-ous" or "oux", etc.

danerain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I speak the language of love fluently
Body language
English--can even do the British accent very well
I also speak one of the 5 dialects of the Cherokee language. That's because I'm over 1/4 Cherokee and lived in the Cherokee capital for many, many years. I'm also 1/16 Choctaw and tried to learn that language but it escapes me.

Lucky, lucky, lucky, you. I wish I knew ANYTHING in Cherokee.

De mo, eego dake wakarimasu yo. Boku no nihongo o heta desu.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Especially when presumed "silent" letters aren't silent at all. Examples: Anvers (Antwerp), some French last names ending in "-ous" or "oux", etc.
or the presumed "silent" letters in the phrase "est-ce qu'on peut..."?
(which, as I learned French, would be pronounced something like "esko(n) puh")

LorenzoK

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
My native languege is mandarin(chinese)
But we have to learn english from little.
The chinese people can't speak japanese but we understand some japanese words(Kanji) so we can guess the meaning of a sentence.
I also speak spanish , I've learned it for 3 years.
so that I can read a little italian , french , catalan and portuguese, too.
they are really similar in some part.
But I don't understand NOTHING when they talk to me:tongue:

SensualGoth

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
took French in high school .... It was more interesting than Spanish and less projects :)

I learned Tex-Mex over the years... enough to haggle with a street vendor in NL, Mexico...

I know a few words in German , Arabic and vaguely recall Pig Latin...

:D