Do you think a closeted gay man can really live out his life as a heterosexual man?

buddy7706

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I was just wondering, do you think a closet gay man can really live out his whole life as a heterosexual or does every gay male eventually give in or give up living life a lie? and how do gay guys actually marry and have kids without being in love with their spouses. And how do they pull it off for yearrs even? Can a gay man who does not want to live a gay life really just live a heterosexual one with no problems.. Any guys out there doing that ?? letss here how you do it?

fortiesfun

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
No, but billions have.
Billions might be a bit of an overestimation, but a couple hundred million, at least...

Seriously, what makes you think gay men aren't in love with their wives. Love and desire are different things...

Second, why would you want to do so now, if time and place offer you different opportunities?

Finally, though I appreciate Earl's point, I'd suggest for each of these horrible examples there are huge numbers of examples of men who were neither destructive nor hypocritical. They may have been unhappy, or at least unfulfilled, but that does not mean they took it out on others.

Reactions: dreamer20

D_Aston Asstonne

Account Disabled
Media
i have a close friend who recently discovered her hubby of 20 years was gay.he stuck with her ,raised 2 kids,and when his parents passed....whammo!outta the closet he came!he supposedly lived as a straight guy to keep from hurting his parents...wtf?

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
there are huge numbers of examples of men who were neither destructive nor hypocritical. They may have been unhappy, or at least unfulfilled, but that does not mean they took it out on others.

I know many men who married women and later realized that they preferred gay sex. And there is no doubt in my mind that they loved their wives when they married and had loving caring relationships with them. Some are still married, primarily because of children but most have divorced and moved on. Sexuality is such a incessant and strong craving that can't be ignored very easily.

Your sexuality may also change and people come to realize things at different times of their life. One friend of mine discovered he really liked men at 35, living previously as a happy hetrosexual man. I think there are a few LPSG members where their sexuality has not been constant. Even though I consider myself a gay man I still find some women attractive, believe it or not and I can see my younger self if I lived in India, Japan, Saudi Arabia, where homosexulity is not an option doing the hetrosexual/married thing if forced, and be an OK husband, as I think I would enjoy raising kids.

But here, I choose to live as a gay man because I can. It is just more fulfilling giving into craving.

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I used to know a woman whose husband left her for another man. She was distraught at first, thinking that she was so awful an example of a woman that she drove him to men, but then she met his lover - her reaction, "Why, he's a male version of me!" They grew to be friends after that.

I could've told her that it wasn't anything she did to "drive" him to another man. He was gay to begin with. It's sad that society disapproves so much that people feel that they have to do this. It was not fair to him or to her.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I was just wondering, do you think a closet gay man can really live out his whole life as a heterosexual Yes, they can and many have in the past. I am sure that until society gets a grip on reality this will unfortunately continue. Or does every gay male eventually give in or give up living life a lie? No, many live in fear, pain, and emotional torture as closeted gay men all their lives. :frown1: and how do gay guys actually marry and have kids without being in love with their spouses. I think that many actually do love their spouses, they just get caught up in the hetero-hype or desire to become what their parents, family, friends; or media portray as normal. And how do they pull it off for years even? Can a gay man who does not want to live a gay life really just live a heterosexual one with no problems.. No, there is always the desire to be your true authentic self. Any guys out there doing that ?? Lets here how you do it?

i have a close friend who recently discovered her hubby of 20 years was gay.he stuck with her ,raised 2 kids,and when his parents passed....whammo!outta the closet he came! he supposedly lived as a straight guy to keep from hurting his parents...wtf?
My guess is that this happens all the time; but I could be wrong.

Ted Haggard
Jim Bakker
Michael Huffington
J Edgar Hoover
Roy Cohn

It is possible, but not very pretty.

These are lousy examples because they were outed publicly. Also I don't recall Jim Bakker being gay, just a lieing, cheating, embezzler. :tongue:

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
... or does every gay male eventually give in or give up living life a lie? and how do gay guys actually marry and have kids without being in love with their spouses. And how do they pull it off for years even?

I hope that they don't give up living. Why are you surprised that they desired and had children buddy? Many persons who marry do want to have heirs and descendants. Out of love for their spouses and children these men will continue to dwell with them and support them, although they might be having secret sex with men. Some will choose to divorce when the children are older. Some have understanding spouses who don't object to their husband's extra martial sex.

submit452

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Ted Haggard
Jim Bakker
Michael Huffington
J Edgar Hoover
Roy Cohn

It is possible, but not very pretty.
Jeez I agree Roy Cohn was a big train wreck. He dated (and was friends with) Barbara Walters. If they married and had kids! They would be reptillian alien babies. Yuuuck

smoothrnb

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Yes, I think it's possible to live a closeted life, but my next question is: What kind of life is it? I know from personal experience and hearing from other GLBT people that living a closeted life leads to my emotional and psychological issues. If these are not dealt with honestly, the person will suffer no matter what the person does to avoid them. I have never heard of any closeted person going through life "successfully" without some issues.

cocktaste

Superior Member
Media
Chadds Ford Township, PA, United States of America
i have a close friend who recently discovered her hubby of 20 years was gay.he stuck with her ,raised 2 kids,and when his parents passed....whammo!outta the closet he came!he supposedly lived as a straight guy to keep from hurting his parents...wtf?
It would have been better for him to have done it to not hurt his wife.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
If there weren't homophobia, straight guys could breathe easier. Sleep better at nights.
More to the point, if the homophobia didn't exist, gay men would not feel compelled to marry women in the first place... or any of those other "trying to be straight, hiding in the closet" activities.

chesz001

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
In my observation,i could say that he CAN'T live his entire life as a heterosexual man.you couldnt easily hide who you are,maybe now but not in the future.you see,there are this people we call "late bloomers',i mean there are guys who have been married for years but at the end they realized that theyre girl at heart.there are some who you think they are very straight without knowing their gay sides coz they hide it.i think some dont just easily live their life as a gay at an early age becoz of rejection,shame,carrying the family's pride and a lot more reasons.

oregonhighflyer

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
This is my first post to lpsg.org and this topic somewhat hits home. I am "curious" to say the least but am in fear of what people, especially my family and friends, will think. I enjoy women, but I also enjoy the male body. (visually, I've never been with a guy physically, yet.)

I would love the "American Family", a wife, kids, nice cars and a nice house, but I wonder if I could ever really be happy. As it stands right now, I'm not really happy but I don't think that my family and friends would accept me if I was openly bi.

So it's either continue to live life the same old way, unhappily, or test out the waters secretly (I do live 2 hours away from the family and most of my friends as I have just moved).

Any thoughts? :confused:

B_Hung Jon

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
This is my first post to lpsg.org and this topic somewhat hits home. I am "curious" to say the least but am in fear of what people, especially my family and friends, will think. I enjoy women, but I also enjoy the male body. (visually, I've never been with a guy physically, yet.)

I would love the "American Family", a wife, kids, nice cars and a nice house, but I wonder if I could ever really be happy. As it stands right now, I'm not really happy but I don't think that my family and friends would accept me if I was openly bi.

So it's either continue to live life the same old way, unhappily, or test out the waters secretly (I do live 2 hours away from the family and most of my friends as I have just moved).

Any thoughts? :confused:

I think each person has to be true to him/her self. Maybe you could move to a place where you could find out about your curiosity.

When I think about this issue, it reminds me of the film Brokeback Mountain.

oregonhighflyer

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I think each person has to be true to him/her self. Maybe you could move to a place where you could find out about your curiosity.

When I think about this issue, it reminds me of the film Brokeback Mountain.

It truly is! I would be nervous as hell moving to a new place to explore my curiosity as I have never been with a guy. Part of life I guess. Being true to him/her self is probably the hardest thing to do.