Do you think at times the world is losing the ability to laugh?

Or more to the point I spose, it's inhabitants ability to laugh at themselves?

Personally speaking, I don't think we laugh enough at the stupid things we do ourselves, it seems everyone expects to be practically perfect in every way :). I think sometimes we forget we all do some pretty stupid things.

BillM

LPSG Legend
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Beverly Hills (California, United States)
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
hillary-laughing-350.png

Keeping a stiff upper lip and having the ability to smile is an art. I don't know what it quite would look like...but I think Patrick Macnee would be my closest interpretation.....

N68

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

Personally speaking, I don't think we laugh enough at the stupid things we do ourselves, it seems everyone expects to be practically perfect in every way :). I think sometimes we forget we all do some pretty stupid things.

"Everything is funny as long as it happens to someone else." Will Rogers, maybe?

Maybe not forget to laugh, in contrast to being criticized for laughing. On a serious note and politics aside, Some may not like it, but, so be it ...

"Everything is funny as long as it happens to someone else." Will Rogers, maybe?

I can laugh at my foibles . Especially around people I know. We can laugh at each other constructively while lifting each other up.

But with the social media climate, {IMHO} it's become the turd in the punch bowl at a party.

And kind of censoring some truly laughable moments because people don't want to appear to be insensitive.

A moment, which by the way, requires a pie in the face for old Iron Drawers/The stick in the muds.....

Reactions: twoton

N68

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Reactions: BillM

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Maybe not forget to laugh, in contrast to being criticized for laughing. On a serious note and politics aside, Some may not like it, but, so be it ...

I can laugh at my foibles . Especially around people I know. We can laugh at each other constructively while lifting each other up.

But with the social media climate, {IMHO} it's become the turd in the punch bowl at a party.

And kind of censoring some truly laughable moments because people don't want to appear to be insensitive.

A moment, which by the way, requires a pie in the face for old Iron Drawers/The stick in the muds.....

I agree.

I like this thread. By now I had expected someone to post about a stupid thing they have done. I just didn't want to go first (and second and third).

Age 38, and quite proud of my waist length hair, I decided I could do with a bit of a change, and for the last year or so had been toying with the idea of having a fringe. I do not trust hairdressers, and have often had misgivings after letting them cut my hair. One night, after trimming my own split ends as I occasionally do, and with too much time on my hands, I watched a couple of youtube videos and decided to cut my own fringe. Seemed perfectly straightforward, and why the hell not?, that's the bit of my hair that I can see properly when I look in the mirror.
It was straightforward. It all went according to plan!
The next morning when I saw my partner he SHOUTED at me:
"WHAT THE FUCK!!? WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK!!?" and the look of shock and horror on his face was something to behold.
:rolleyes: Honestly, it isn't that bad, it balances out a high bun or an updo very nicely, but I have since decided that I didn't like having a fringe 30 years ago, and I don't like it now either. I've ruined, ruined, RUINED the next couple of years of my life.

sizehungry

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay

Right with you on this subject . My late Father once said to me , " show me a person who claims never to have done something stupid , or made a mistake , and i'll show you an unmitigated liar , not to be trusted " . Time and time again , it has come true . I love laughter , and there isn't enough of it .

In general, no, but in my experience few people laugh at themselves in front of enemies, superiors or rivals.
I find at times dangerous people laugh in the face of enemies, superiors and or rivals. This is what is dangerous and unpredictable on occasion.

It's like being in the ring with Muhammad Ali. He taunted, laughed at and cajoled his opponents. Then left them wondering when they hit the tarp...WTF. He worked on their head first, then dealt the body blows. :) He was an entertainer outside the ring as well as in it.

halcyondays

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I find at times dangerous people laugh in the face of enemies, superiors and or rivals. This is what is dangerous and unpredictable on occasion.

It's like being in the ring with Muhammad Ali. He taunted, laughed at and cajoled his opponents. Then wondering when they hit the tarp...WTF. He worked on their head first, then dealt the body blows. :)

Ali wasn't laughing at himself. He was laughing to taunt and unnerve his rivals.

Reactions: 185248

Ali wasn't laughing at himself. He was laughing to taunt and unnerve his rivals.
I think if you looked at some of his interviews, he laughed at himself. He was in a tough sport. He had to put up with government intervention during Viet-Nam. He had to fight his way back, change his name from Cassius (slave name).

You don't accomplish all that without laughing at yourself. There is pain associated, pain causes one to look into themselves for humour first. To face a world full of opposers, you take the piss out of yourself first before others can.

halcyondays

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I think if you looked at some of his interviews, he laughed at himself. He was in a tough sport. He had to put up with government intervention during Viet-Nam. He had to fight his way back, change his name from Cassius (slave name).

You don't accomplish all that without laughing at yourself. There is pain associated, pain causes one to look into themselves for humour first. To face a world full of opposers, you take the piss out of yourself first before others can.

Can't say I remember any humility or self-deprecating humor from Ali in front the cameras. It wasn't his public persona nor is it of any professional pugilist.