Do you think Shatner should be in the next Star Trek?

horneyoldguy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
People in the News: Shatner not aboard next 'Star Trek'

This may qualify as "Star Trek" sacrilege: the decision not to cast William Shatner as the original Capt. James T. Kirk in the next big-screen incarnation of the sci-fi staple. Other characters from the original series are slated to appear in the film; Chris Pines will play the young Kirk. To rub more salt into Shatner's sizable wounded ego, his buddy, Leonard Nimoy, is going to be in the movie, presumably as the older Spock in some kind of flashback mode.

"I couldn't believe it. I'm not in the movie at all. Leonard, God bless his heart, is in, but not me," Shatner, 76, said Thursday. "I thought, what a decision to make, since it obviously is a decision not to make use of the popularity I have to ensure the movie has good box office. It didn't seem to be a wise business decision."

Director J.J. Abrams announced last summer that Nimoy would once again step into the logical role that imprinted Vulcan behavior on thousands of fans through the 1960s television show and again in six big-screen flicks.

Abrams had said Shatner probably would have a part in the film, due in theaters in December 2008. But Shatner said nothing came of the meetings he had with Abrams.

submit452

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
People in the News: Shatner not aboard next 'Star Trek'

This may qualify as "Star Trek" sacrilege: the decision not to cast William Shatner as the original Capt. James T. Kirk in the next big-screen incarnation of the sci-fi staple. Other characters from the original series are slated to appear in the film; Chris Pines will play the young Kirk. To rub more salt into Shatner's sizable wounded ego, his buddy, Leonard Nimoy, is going to be in the movie, presumably as the older Spock in some kind of flashback mode.

"I couldn't believe it. I'm not in the movie at all. Leonard, God bless his heart, is in, but not me," Shatner, 76, said Thursday. "I thought, what a decision to make, since it obviously is a decision not to make use of the popularity I have to ensure the movie has good box office. It didn't seem to be a wise business decision."

Director J.J. Abrams announced last summer that Nimoy would once again step into the logical role that imprinted Vulcan behavior on thousands of fans through the 1960s television show and again in six big-screen flicks.

Abrams had said Shatner probably would have a part in the film, due in theaters in December 2008. But Shatner said nothing came of the meetings he had with Abrams.
Hmmmm Thorny Trekkie question. In Generations he was killed off by Soran. Perhaps they could go back in time to the day Federation Laz-boy made the captain's chair. LOL but yeah he's got to be in it because Kirk and Spock were the best characters on the TOS.

jakeatolla

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Although I consider myself to be a big fan of Star Trek, I really
don't think he should be in the new movie. Its time for a new
group of actors to take the helm.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Leonard Nimoy is in it and that sounds like what started Shatner's whining. What? He has a hit TV series, he is the Priceline spokesman. What does Nimoy have? Really not a lot.

I might have said yes, but Shatner is publicly whining about it. And I don't care what he says, it isn't about business, it is about his ego. I do not know what is more bloated, his body or his ego.

Shatner should sit down, shut his pie hole and reap the money he is getting from his current gigs. I really have no desire to see anymore of the man.

Sorry, I am more a Spock fan anyway.

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yes, it's almost like not allowing Stallone to be Rocky in Rocky 6. I never saw that one, don't think I'll see this Star Trek, maybe when they both hit cable tv ?

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm curious how they plan to explain Kirk being in the film at all. Didn't he die in the zone thingie in the last generations film?

I believe you are right, but you know when someone mentioned Spock's/Nimoy's flashback role, Kirk/Shatner could be used similarly too. I don't know the storyline of this one, but to me it's beyond it's useful life with the original tv series cast, even the Picard cast. And as for the last 2, the female captain and even Backula, well, let's just say it's run it's course and put it down like an old pet with cancer ?

grendel25

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Well, the new movie will be all about Spock, Kirk, et al in the days before the original series. Old Spock might appear in the beginnning and end to frame it, maybe talking about it from his deathbed or at least being very old (just a guess). As noted, Kirk was already killed off. And remember, Spock lived long enough to appear in ST: TNG, which took place after almost every other character from the original had died of old age. Vulcans get mighty long in the tooth.

eddyabs

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Hmmm, well, if the writers don't feel that 'old' Kirk fits into the storyline...so be it.
I'm a big fan, and would love to see some of the (very) old faces, but if it is just the original Spock (nimoy) from TOS that suits me fine. As for Shatner having a moan, it does sound a lot like sour grapes!

If you feel really strongly that Bill should be in the movie...go here, although it may be too late!

He just misses Spock.....bless him.....

...... Bath Trek.jpg

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
They don't need to bring him BACK from the dead -- they could just drag his dead ass around in a few scenes, like in Weekend At Bernie's.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
They don't need to bring him BACK from the dead -- they could just drag his dead ass around in a few scenes, like in Weekend At Bernie's.

And this is why I love you.

I have this image of a limp, lifeless Kirk with Geordi Laforge's visor on accidentally being dropped on the photon torpedo launch button and annihilating a Romulan Bird of Prey.

Jovial

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Kirk sure got a lot of tail. Being a starship commander had it's perks. :cool:

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
And this is why I love you.

I have this image of a limp, lifeless Kirk with Geordi Laforge's visor on accidentally being dropped on the photon torpedo launch button and annihilating a Romulan Bird of Prey.

LOL -- or they could use his latest batch of hair implants to wipe out the Klingons! :biggrin1::biggrin1::wink::wink:

Hell no. He's dead at the hands of Soran. Let Kirk rest in peace even if Shatner cannot. It is right for Spock to be the last to go. I just hope they do it tastefully. Shatner has what most actors can only dream about no matter how much he bitches. None of them were great actors though Nimoy comes closest. The original cast had great story lines and singular chemistry that carried the show far beyond its original life. Individually they do not stand well on their own at all save for Spock who, in certain circumstances such as in NG, actually has enough character of his own to make an intriguing character outside of the original cast.

Love-it

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Sorry, but as much as I enjoyed the series, Mr. Shatner was not a good actor and I feel that since he hasn't improved any it is time to let him go.

horneyoldguy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I've been a Trekkie or Trekker since the original series was first on NBC. Since watching the original series, I have watched all of the different spinoffs and movies. Of all of the varied types of characters in the Trek universe, my favorites were the Vulcans and Klingons and with the different spinoffs I was often sadened that they didn't do one that concentrated more on the Klingons, even though this alien group played a major part in both Next Generation and Deep Space 9 because of Michael Dorn's Klingon character Worf.

As for Shatner's character Kirk, he died and was brought back to life in the Next Generation movies and books. If the new film's storyline is using Spock to think back to his first meeting with Kirk, there is no reason why they couldn't use the Kirk character in the same way. However, Shatner has a lot on his acting plate with Boston Legal and the commercials he does for Priceline, so even though he says he would have liked to be in the film, their two schedules may not have been compatable.

Scrufuss

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Kirk is Dead. He died in a movie and people were happy to see him go including some of the fellow cast members...
Let the ol fart die...
Besides with all the face lifts Shatner has had there is no way that he can look like the young Capt Kirk with any believability...
BTW just in case no one saw this...
Star Trek | Official Movie Site | In Theaters May 2009 | Star Trek Movie