Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
General News - Prosecutor: DNA clears JonBenet Ramsey's family

Prosecutor: DNA clears JonBenet Ramsey's family

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20080709/JonBenet.Ramsey/#

BOULDER, Colo. — Prosecutors cleared JonBenet Ramsey's parents and brother Wednesday in the 1996 killing of the 6-year-old beauty queen, saying they were "deeply sorry" for putting the family under a cloud of suspicion that hung heavy for more than a decade.

New DNA tests, which focus on skin cells left behind from a mere touch, point to a mysterious outsider. They came too late to clear the name of JonBenet's mother, Patsy, who died of cancer in 2006.

"To the extent that we may have contributed in any way to the public perception that you might have been involved in this crime, I am deeply sorry," Boulder County District Attorney Mary Lacy wrote in a letter to the little girl's father, John Ramsey. "No innocent person should have to endure such an extensive trial in the court of public opinion."

Lacy said new "touch DNA" tests on skin cells that were left behind on JonBenet's long underwear point to an "unexplained third party" and not a member of the family.

John Ramsey, a software entrepreneur who now lives in Michigan, said Wednesday he is hopeful the killer will be found based on the DNA evidence.
"I think the people that are in charge of the investigation are focused on that, and that gives me a lot of comfort," he told KUSA-TV in Denver. He added: "Certainly we are grateful that they acknowledged that we, based on that, certainly could not have been involved."

For years after the slaying, tabloids and crime shows went after the couple, and Lacy's predecessor as district attorney, Alex Hunter, said in 1997 that the parents were under an "umbrella of suspicion." News reports also cast suspicion on JonBenet's older brother, Burke, who was 9 when his sister was killed.

The suspicions outlived Patsy, who died at age 49 in Atlanta, where the family moved after JonBenet's death.
"My first thought was obviously I wish Patsy Ramsey was here with us to be able to at least share vindication of her family," said L. Lin Wood, an attorney for the Ramsey family. "There are many people in this country, if not around the world, that also owe John and Patsy Ramsey and Burke Ramsey an apology."

Early in the investigation, police found male DNA in a drop of blood on JonBenet's underwear and determined it was not from anyone in her family. But Lacy said investigators were unable to say who it came from and whether that person was the killer.

Then, late last year, prosecutors turned over long underwear JonBenet was wearing to the Bode Technology Group near Washington, which looked for "touch DNA," or cells left behind where someone has touched something.
The lab has only been using this technology for about three years.
The laboratory found previously undiscovered genetic material on the sides of the girl's long underwear, where an attacker would have grasped the clothing to pull it down, authorities said. The DNA matched the genetic material found earlier.

Lacy said the presence of the same male DNA in three places on the girl's clothing convinced investigators it belonged to JonBenet's killer and had not been left accidentally by an innocent party.
"It is therefore the position of the Boulder District Attorney's Office that this profile belongs to the perpetrator of the homicide," she said in a statement. In her letter to the Ramseys, she said the DNA evidence "has vindicated your family."

She said investigators hope someday to find a DNA match in the ever-expanding national DNA databank.
Through a spokeswoman, Lacy declined to comment any further.
John Ramsey found his daughter's strangled and bludgeoned body in the basement of the family's home in Boulder on Dec. 26, 1996. Patsy Ramsey said she found a ransom note demanding $118,000 for her daughter.
Lacy had previously expressed doubts that the parents were involved. In 2003, a federal judge handling a defamation lawsuit in Atlanta involving the Ramseys said evidence in the case was more consistent with the theory that an intruder killed JonBenet, and Lacy said she agreed.

Less than two months after Patsy Ramsey died, the case appeared to blow wide open with the arrest in Thailand of John Mark Karr, a sometime teacher obsessed with the little girl's slaying. Karr made bizarre, detailed confessions to the killing, but authorities said DNA evidence showed he did not commit the crime.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I did at the time of her death 10 years ago. Then I recall thinking it was that family friend who dressed as Santa. After that I really wasn't sure. :confused: Maybe I watch too much CSI and Law & Order but it seems like it shouldn't have been that hard a case to crack. I'm not sure whether to be relieved or annoyed that the parents are in the clear after all this time.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Even now things don't make sense. The note and how it was so close to Patsy's handwriting and the fact that they refused to cooperate or take a lie detector test. Also where the body was found, as if John was trying keep it hidden.

The thing I suspected was that her brother did it and they were trying to protect him.

B_JasonDawgxxx

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The bottom line here is.A little girl was killed and her family was hung out to dry by a pack of idiots dressed as police.So sad that they kept hunting the wrong people.The whole story is just sad.Child molesters should be put to death in my opinion.They cant be reformed.I hope they catch the true killer.R.I.P. Jon Benet.

Even now things don't make sense. The note and how it was so close to Patsy's handwriting and the fact that they refused to cooperate or take a lie detector test. Also where the body was found, as if John was trying keep it hidden.

Not cooperating is actually the best thing you can do, guilty or innocent. Police and prosecutors will use everything you do or say against you if you're a suspect. In any investigation where you're involved, you are a suspect whether you know it or not. The very first thing a lawyer will tell you is to keep your mouth shut and say absolutely nothing. This is definitely the case with child murders because the majority of the time, the child's killer is someone in the home with the child. The Ramsey's were smart. They spoke to the lawyer first, then the police, and neither said nor did anything without their lawyer to speak for them. Sounds to me like the Boulder police took the Ramsey's reticence to talk to them as a sign of guilt which, to my mind, is ridiculous because that's like the spider blaming the fly for trying to avoid the web.

It sucks, but that's how our adversarial legal system works.

The thing I suspected was that her brother did it and they were trying to protect him.

I think that's what most people believed. I truly hope that guy can get on with his life and not suffer for it. Each of the Ramseys should receive a letter of apology from the DA so that they can wave it in the face of anyone who hasn't heard they've been exonerated.

D

deleted15807

Not cooperating is actually the best thing you can do, guilty or innocent. Police and prosecutors will use everything you do or say against you if you're a suspect. In any investigation where you're involved, you are a suspect whether you know it or not. The very first thing a lawyer will tell you is to keep your mouth shut and say absolutely nothing. This is definitely the case with child murders because the majority of the time, the child's killer is someone in the home with the child. The Ramsey's were smart. They spoke to the lawyer first, then the police, and neither said nor did anything without their lawyer to speak for them. Sounds to me like the Boulder police took the Ramsey's reticence to talk to them as a sign of guilt which, to my mind, is ridiculous because that's like the spider blaming the fly for trying to avoid the web.

It sucks, but that's how our adversarial legal system works.

I think that's what most people believed. I truly hope that guy can get on with his life and not suffer for it. Each of the Ramseys should receive a letter of apology from the DA so that they can wave it in the face of anyone who hasn't heard they've been exonerated.

So true. The police and DA are just looking for someone to pin the blame on....to get a conviction. High profile cases even more so. How many convictions have been overturned thanks to DNA testing and new DNA laws. The sad thing is how many innocent people may have been executed before DNA testing and laws.