Do you think there is Intelligent Life outside of our planet?

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well, I'm sure there is. Its simply ridiculous thinking we are the onlyones in this universe. I'm living in Panama, and some of you may laugh at me, but me and some friends had several ufo sightings here.

Sorry I wasn't more clear! I wasn't talking about ETs

I was trying to comment on people who've been bemoaning a "lack of intelligent life" on Earth.

Wellllll -- if there's such a small amount of intelligence on Earth, then what makes them think that THEY are one of the intelligent few?

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
N = R* • fp • ne • fl • fi • fc • L
Where,
N = The number of civilizations in The Milky Way Galaxy whose electromagnetic emissions are detectable.
R* =The rate of formation of stars suitable for the development of intelligent life.
fp = The fraction of those stars with planetary systems.
ne = The number of planets, per solar system, with an environment suitable for life.
fl = The fraction of suitable planets on which life actually appears.
fi = The fraction of life bearing planets on which intelligent life emerges.
fc = The fraction of civilizations that develop a technology that releases detectable signs of their existence into space.
L = The length of time such civilizations release detectable signals into space.

Work it out for yourself. :smile:

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
Now I understand what has the kitten in your avatar backed into the corner!:biggrin1:

Naw - she's been a naughty little pussy and deserves a spanking :tongue:

That is the Drake Equation, BTW, and usually shows that there should be many thousands of intelligent life forms in our galaxy, let alone the Universe. Here you go. Drake Equation - SETI Institute

B_superlarge

Experimental Member
Media
I don't think that extraterrestrials have landed on Earth, though, despite those reports from Roswell, etc. (I think that what people saw there was a classified military exercise, and that's why it's hush-hush)

Aliens/ufos is a subject that has interested me enough for me to sort of follow it for years, reading books and magazines. As far as Roswell is concerned, it unfortunately probably hasn't really panned out (though don't try telling that to die hard ufo fanatics).
Amazon.com: Body Snatchers in the Desert: The Horrible Truth at the Heart of the Roswell Story: Books: Nick Redfernhttp://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cu...=283155&qid=1186696367&sr=1-1#customerReviews

ganja4me

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Since there are so many people who do believe there is intelligent life out there, I think a better question would be do you believe they can get to this planet and if so why do you believe that. Stephen Hawking believed that if an alien race, with the intelligence to get to earth, actually came here then they would just wipe us out and would be able to use our planet to their liking. It seems logical to me too. If we found another planet that we could live on in order to prolong the human existence, since we will not always be able to live on Earth, we would probably wipe out anything very primitive that was living there that could pose a potential threat to us.

viking1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Since there are so many people who do believe there is intelligent life out there, I think a better question would be do you believe they can get to this planet and if so why do you believe that. Stephen Hawking believed that if an alien race, with the intelligence to get to earth, actually came here then they would just wipe us out and would be able to use our planet to their liking. It seems logical to me too. If we found another planet that we could live on in order to prolong the human existence, since we will not always be able to live on Earth, we would probably wipe out anything very primitive that was living there that could pose a potential threat to us.

Those advanced enough to travel here from other solar systems, may not even recognize us humans as intelligent life...

ganja4me

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Those advanced enough to travel here from other solar systems, may not even recognize us humans as intelligent life...

That's what I mean, since we would be so primitive compared to them they may just wipe us out and live on our planet or use it for something. Humans would probably do the same if they found a planet with primitive creatures on it. The humans are eventually going to need to leave this planet and find a new one in order to prolong the human existence. Then if they do find a new planet to live on eventually they will need to leave that one.

agnslz

Loved Member
Media
N = R* • fp • ne • fl • fi • fc • L
Where,
N = The number of civilizations in The Milky Way Galaxy whose electromagnetic emissions are detectable.
R* =The rate of formation of stars suitable for the development of intelligent life.
fp = The fraction of those stars with planetary systems.
ne = The number of planets, per solar system, with an environment suitable for life.
fl = The fraction of suitable planets on which life actually appears.
fi = The fraction of life bearing planets on which intelligent life emerges.
fc = The fraction of civilizations that develop a technology that releases detectable signs of their existence into space.
L = The length of time such civilizations release detectable signals into space.

Work it out for yourself. :smile:

:boggled:

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It's illgocal to think of how many limitless galaxies their are in this universe and to think that earth holds the only intelligent beings.

There are other multicellular beings in the universe, none that we can see, and will probably never see in ourlife time but to quote Samuel L.:

Adsence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

We can't see it? so what, its out there.

I knew a guy (embarrassed to say that I dated him! :eek: The only excuse I can come up with was that it was a blind date!) who said that there was no life on other planets because the Bible doesn't say anything about it. :rolleyes: Like, he is 100% sure of this...

I just think there has to be life on other planets, with as many stars and galaxies are in the universe (and planets too - we haven't found any Earth-like planets yet but with our telescopes now we have a much easier time finding gas giant-type planets, more like Jupiter than Earth, in other solar systems.)

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
That's what I mean, since we would be so primitive compared to them they may just wipe us out and live on our planet or use it for something. Humans would probably do the same if they found a planet with primitive creatures on it. The humans are eventually going to need to leave this planet and find a new one in order to prolong the human existence. Then if they do find a new planet to live on eventually they will need to leave that one.

Yep, if they think like humans do, we're doomed!

But maybe they are not like that, and would be more interested in helping us rather than wiping us out. I'd like to think that, anyway.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
That is the Drake Equation, BTW, and usually shows that there should be many thousands of intelligent life forms in our galaxy, let alone the Universe. Here you go. Drake Equation - SETI Institute

I don't think you can assign any value to any of those variables.
So the equation doesn't take you very far.
On the same website, we find the Fermi paradox: Basically, if the universe is full of intelligent beings, "Where is everybody?"
I have no clue if there is intelligent life elsewhere, and I think that the likelihood that there is none is considerable.
Just a hunch ... which is all any of us have.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I've got a more pertinent question:

Is there intelligent life in New Jersey?

I know a lot of people from there and I don't think I've discovered any yet.

Discounting Jon Stewart.

Einstein moved here

Edison moved here

Woodrow Wilson lived here

Born here:

Samuel Alito

Thomas Kean

Alfred Kinsey

Antonin Scalia

Grover Cleavland