Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
i am just a little bit addicted to netflix. :redface:

a long time back i was a member of GreenCine.com when they specialized in art house/non-regional foreign releases. (so much grump about the catalog devastation caused by adding mainstream/major studio releases .:irked:)

D_Diesel Oyl

Sexy Member
Media
How do you info about cool movies?

Are there any art house type places now?

i am just a little bit addicted to netflix. :redface:

a long time back i was a member of GreenCine.com when they specialized in art house/non-regional foreign releases. (so much grump about the catalog devastation caused by adding mainstream/major studio releases .:irked:)

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
GreenCine *still* and Netflix both have a great selection of art/indie/foreign titles, about neck in neck for Queer features. GreenCine gets extra points for anime/horror/cult films. both sites are neck in neck on docs and special interests.

GreenCine will make you want to buy a non-regional DVD player or llama hack you're current DVD. :tongue:

finding movies.... both sites offer a new releases list, genre sorting and member reviews. i happen to geek hardcore, so i follow production blogs, releasing blogs and the like :redface: so my rental queues are just over full with things i wanna see.

netflix bonus: british TV on DVD. Dr.Who and Torchwood recent obsessions. :biggrin:

TopDudeFtl

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
We have Netflix & couldn't be happier. My boy got a membership so he could catch up on a canceled TV series he never got a chance to see. I think it's a great service. We must have one of their service centers nearby because I swear it's only about a two days return before the next DVD.

RalDudeHangin

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I have Netflix. It's great. FOr the basic membership ($9.69/monthly) you have one DVD in your possesion at any time for as long as you wanted and (IMO the best part) unlimited streaming movies. The streaming movie selection is only a fraction of their entire inventory but it's still decent. I hook up my laptop to my TV and the quality is good or catch a movie in bed.

Pendlum

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I have Netflix. It's great. FOr the basic membership ($9.69/monthly) you have one DVD in your possesion at any time for as long as you wanted and (IMO the best part) unlimited streaming movies. The streaming movie selection is only a fraction of their entire inventory but it's still decent. I hook up my laptop to my TV and the quality is good or catch a movie in bed.

I think their instant queue is pretty sucky as far as movies go. I've only ever found two movies that I wanted to see on it. However their documentary selection is pretty solid if you happen to like those, like history channel and such.

prince_will

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I've just started and i do love it.

DVD's come at a good pace, it's relatively cheap, and even though i have to dig like crazy to find a movie to watch in the instant queue, it's a great feature. I even use my PS3 to play them on my TV with the free disc that they send you.

Hoss

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I haven't used netflix yet, I keep thinking about it and somehow they have managed to get around the block I have on pop up advertisements. Get at least 2 a day. The other day I looked at their list and saw a few that I would like to see and considered taking the temporary 1 month free trial with them.

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hoss, you should have started a new thread rather than revive this old one. Netflix is rather a different kettle of fish from what it was in 2009. In those days, you paid a fee to get DVDs through the mail. I think the lowest rate was $14 a month for one disk at a time, and for increments $2 or 3 a month you could add disks to that number.

[Edited to delete some figures on fees that were completely erroneous, as the next post made me aware.]

In my opinion, the service has gone to shit. If you are content to watch DVDs on your computer, and are content with the most popular ones, then Netflix will serve you well. If, like me, you want to watch movies on your television, not on your computer, and you mostly go for disks that are not among the most popular and therefore not available by streaming, it sucks donkey balls.

Last edited:

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
7.99 gets you movies online.. kinda like On Demand over ya computer.
7.99 gets you unlimited 1 DVD at a time with no movies online.

the price jumps up about 4 dollars a DVD until you hit 4 movies at time, unlimited.. then it jumps to about 5 dollars a disk.

the mail turn around is pretty damn awesome.
arrives at Netflix a day after you drop the DVD in the post.
new movie is sent back to you the same day.
ya get it the next day.

the bonus of netflix is no late fees, massive selection and quick turn over.

cons... if you don't watch heaps of movies is might be cheaper to rent from redbox. quick or no, ya still have to wait to get movies. sometimes the artier/obscure movies have a longer wait time.

D_PooNaHoe

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I love Netflix and stream it through my xbox tree-6ty. Not every movie is available to stream but there are still a shit ton.

LargeSide

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
I would never pay for the 1 DVD at a time, but I did have the instant streaming for a while. I stopped it once school started again, though. I spent way too much time watching it. While it doesn't have most recent movies, there are some gems. I think I used it more to watch TV shows that I did movies.

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
7.99 gets you movies online.. kinda like On Demand over ya computer.
7.99 gets you unlimited 1 DVD at a time with no movies online.

the price jumps up about 4 dollars a DVD until you hit 4 movies at time, unlimited.. then it jumps to about 5 dollars a disk.

the mail turn around is pretty damn awesome.
arrives at Netflix a day after you drop the DVD in the post.
new movie is sent back to you the same day.
ya get it the next day.

the bonus of netflix is no late fees, massive selection and quick turn over.

cons... if you don't watch heaps of movies is might be cheaper to rent from redbox. quick or no, ya still have to wait to get movies. sometimes the artier/obscure movies have a longer wait time.
I cut out the part of my post about the rates because it was wrong, but what you say is not right either. I looked through the site--they don't make it easy for you to get information on their rates, but I found it on this page--and what I found is that you HAVE to pay the $7.99/month for streaming even if you don't want streaming; if you want to get DVDs in the mail, you have to pay $7.99/month ON TOP OF that--i.e., $16/month for one lousy disk at a time. The site does not disclose what you have to pay to get two disks at a time, but the last time that I was able to get that information, it required an additional $7.99/month for each additional disk--in other words, $24/month for two at a time, $32/month for 3 at a time, and so on; which is outrageous.