Do you write in Script/Cursive or Print?

Do you write in script/cursive or print?

• Total voters

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Confused as ever
primary schooling we were one of only two schools in NZ where the Teacher insisted on teaching us all ITALIC SCRIPT
(old english teacher)
Even the above is no where near what we were taught
Was reasonably succesful at it also..speed wise etc
alas...soon dropped it for conventional writing once hitting High Shchool
Atrocious is my writing now .. sort of a combination scrawl
enz

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
A handwriting expert on a radio show recently said that people who mix print and script in the same writing are supposed to be very intelligent.

They also said that if a person makes an upside down smiley frown at the bottom of a letter such as a y or g they tend to be serial killers and it is not intentional and it is called a Devil's pitchfork.

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
My upper case A, Q, Z. F and E are always print, the rest of my writing is usually cursive; although I am known to occasionally throw in a print letter. (and I alternate back and forth with print and cursive on the upper case letters J and I depending on which letter follows in second place)

koval

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
When I write letters it tends to be in script format as I have been writing in script since I was 6yo (something I was taught in school). However, when I take notes it tends to be in print format. The reason being that as a left hander when I write letters I take my time but notes tend to be jotted down faster.

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I suspect that fewer and fewer people are learning to write in cursive, or are practicing it beyond elementary school. I also suspect that fewer and fewer people can write legibly, much less with elegance.

I quit writing cursive when I was ten years old because I was dissatisfied with the look of my writing. I printed everything in a neat hand. But when I was twenty, I became dissatisfied with the slowness of writing in print, and began training myself to write cursive again. It took a long time for my cursive writing to become steady and consistent, and even for the speed to catch up with that of my printing. But I think it looks pretty good now, and I certainly write it more quickly than I can print.

However, I was not able to train myself to write the cursive characters with a forward slant, as I had done in childhood. All of my cursive writing is aligned vertically -- except for my signature, which was the one bit of cursive writing that I continued to do from age 10 to 20. So my writing does not look like my signature.

Attachments

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I am not sure why it is that so many people are giving up on cursive writing. I think that the reason is that it takes years of practice to develop a combination of fluency and legibility, to say nothing of elegance, and those attributes count for less and less as people do ever less of their written communication by hand. It can be shocking to get your first handwritten note from someone whom you are dating and to find that the person in question writes in a clumsy, childish scrawl.

If you want to see what can be done with cursive handwriting, have a look at a sample of the handwriting of Mark Twain. I don't think that I have seen writing that showed such a combination of speed and economy of effort with perfect legibility. I found a Web page that shows some samples, but the images are of poor quality and make the writing look much rougher than in fact it was (as I remember from the photographs that I have seen in books).

Last edited:

D_Tintagel_Demondong

Sexy Member
Media
It can be shocking to get your first handwritten note from someone whom you are dating and to find that the person in question writes in a clumsy, childish scrawl.

For a person with such a masterful command of English, I have to say that I was a bit surprised at your penmanship. I somehow assumed that you had consummate handwriting.

I think that there is somewhat of a predisposition for certain people to write in a certain style or with a certain amount of skill. Most women who I've known write clearly, but often with what I call "bubble letters". Most men I've known are hen scratchers. I am surprised when I find nice penmanship from a guy.

Am I the only one who has noticed this?

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
I used to have a very nice cursive handwriting, but since osteoarthritis has made it difficult for me to write without my hand cramping badly, I have found it easier to print slowly than to try to write cursive. I have to hold the pen or pencil between my first and second fingers instead of between the thumb and first finger.

Give me a keyboard, though, and I'm off to the races at well over 100wpm..

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
For a person with such a masterful command of English, I have to say that I was a bit surprised at your penmanship. I somehow assumed that you had consummate handwriting.
:eek: I thought I had pretty nice handwriting! I admit that it can get a bit spidery. But when I spoke of a "clumsy, childish scrawl," I was thinking of writing that looks much -- well, clumsier and more childish than that sample.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
In the mid /late 70s the NZ Govt took in many persons from the Pacific Islands
I worked shift work for 5 years with them
Almost ALl of the Islanders (as we called them) Samoan/Tongan/Cook Islands etc
Almost ALl of them had the most beautiful exquiste handwriting you would ever see
It was just so beautiful masterly flowing...i then and now could only put it down to a NATURAL happening...it appeared it was not a taught/learnt thing
BIG Boofy Island Males with this beautiful handwriting
although there spelling /grammar and or whatever was not up to scratch.(many asked me to help them out?).the writing/scrawl of most of the european immigrants working there was not a patch on theres.
enz

D_Tyrone_Tittickler

Experimental Member
Media
Mine is a combo of boyish print and girly cursive. It shines when i write with a fine tipped pen and looks horrible when i write with a ballpoint pen.

I've gotten a lot of compliments and criticism when it comes to my handwriting. I always found it odd.
I receive compliments regularly about my handwriting. The office secretary asked me if I had practiced the Palmer Method of cursive while I was attending elementary school. I had, in fact. Time was scheduled twice per week for all students from 3rd-8th grade to practice cursive. The sisters impressed all of us to take pride in our work and they did not hesitate to return a sloppily written composition with an incomplete mark. This practice has carried over into adult life and I would never leave a note for someone or write a letter unless I knew that it would pass muster from my former teachers.