Doctor says 22,000 died amid Bayer drug recall

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Related (somewhat tangentially) to a recent thread - this underscores the risks (to both patient and practitioner) where senior medical professionals are either mis-informed or not informed about identified unreasonable risks in the use of a particular medication, or worse, are informed but choose not to share this information for whatever reason.

It also appears to be (yet) another example of a large pharmaceutical company placing profit above patient care and/or lives. So, no news there then. :rolleyes:

Doctor says 22,000 died amid Bayer drug recall - Yahoo! News UK

SteveHd

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
-- sarcasm --

Solution: Don't use new drugs. Only use those which have been around for many decades and thus proved. Another advantage of such drugs: most are off patent and thus cheaper.

-- end sarcasm --

Ahhh Bayer....

The people who financed the Congolese civil war

The people who still use fluoroquinolones in its animal feeds after other drug companies pulled the ingredient because fluoroquinolones are found to cause antibiotic resistant pathogens in animals which humans then eat.

The people who were found guilty and forced to pay $14 million in fines for causing physicians to submit fraudulent claims to Medicare.

The people who knew about Trasylol's risks but withheld the information from the FDA during the drug's approval.

The people who funded Dr. Mengele's hideous experiments on live people. Mengele's co-worker, who was found guilty of war atrocities at Nuremberg, became Chairman of Bayer after his conviction.

The people who manufactured Zyklon-B for German gas chambers.

The people who invented mustard gas which killed thousands in World War I.

Bayer was given the lowest ranking for drug companies in a human rights ranking by the Human Rights Campaign.

I avoid Bayer products when possible.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Ahhh Bayer....

So do I, for the reasons you mentioned, and my general dislike for huge corporations. It's not easy as many everyday drugs are originally of Bayer origin - aspirin for example.

Though the Congolese civil war had plenty of other sources of funding and support, on the coltan issue some came from rather closer to home - and it's rather interesting that a former CEO of the Cabot Corporation is now Bush's Energy Secretary.

But alas, we needed our cellphones (etc) and someone had to pay.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Ahhh Bayer....

The people who financed the Congolese civil war

The people who still use fluoroquinolones in its animal feeds after other drug companies pulled the ingredient because fluoroquinolones are found to cause antibiotic resistant pathogens in animals which humans then eat.

The people who were found guilty and forced to pay $14 million in fines for causing physicians to submit fraudulent claims to Medicare.

The people who knew about Trasylol's risks but withheld the information from the FDA during the drug's approval.

The people who funded Dr. Mengele's hideous experiments on live people. Mengele's co-worker, who was found guilty of war atrocities at Nuremberg, became Chairman of Bayer after his conviction.

The people who manufactured Zyklon-B for German gas chambers.

The people who invented mustard gas which killed thousands in World War I.

Bayer was given the lowest ranking for drug companies in a human rights ranking by the Human Rights Campaign.

Yikes! :yikes: I knew they were a German company but was unaware of their Holocaust connection. When I worked in the plastics industry I had to do a presentation at the Bayer Headquarters in Pittsburgh, PA. The CEO sat in on one of my sessiona and made me very nervous. I wasn't sure if he was thinking I would make a great human lab rat or if he was attracted to me. Either way I was kinda creeped out.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I recently got taken off Celebrex due to elevated liver enzymes. Even though i was really pissed off since my pain levels were being managed with it. I'm kind of happy i dont have to deal with any long term side effects from it.

Celebrex, Bextra and others were taken off the market having been available for a number of years despite significant evidence of serious side effects.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
... Bayer failed to disclose to the FDA during an FDA advisory panel meeting in September 2006 -- at which Mangano's negative findings were discussed -- that the German drug maker had conducted its own research which confirmed the same dangers established by his study.
From this quote in the article dong linked to a question arises:

Is the FDA relying only upon the assurances of drug makers like Bayer that their trademark drugs are safe to put on the market? Aren't independent tests conducted if there is even the slightest chance of a hazard? If not, why not?

... Bayer failed to disclose to the FDA during an FDA advisory panel meeting in September 2006 -- at which Mangano's negative findings were discussed -- that the German drug maker had conducted its own research which confirmed the same dangers established by his study.
From this quote in the article dong linked to a question arises:

Is the FDA relying only upon the assurances of drug makers like Bayer that their trademark drugs are safe to put on the market? Aren't independent tests conducted if there is even the slightest chance of a hazard? If not, why not?

Nope. The FDA was gutted by the Bush administration in an effort to bring drugs to market faster on the basis that people in dire circumstances weren't getting drugs which could save them soon enough.