Doctor's advice

B_Lightkeeper

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
OK....I know I need to ask my doctor but wanted input from some of you that may have gone through the same situation.

How long before I can safely have sex (not talking about just using a condom!). I underwent open-heart surgery last week (7 bypasses) and am home now trying to recouperate. Chest isn't as sore as I thought it would be but my left leg was sliced open for necessary vain use. (I guess I was/am lucky....a friend had to have both of his legs opened.)

I admit the first few days out of the hospital I had no sex desire because of the pain and bleeding from my leg.

I'm wondering if I can masturbate (assuming I can even get up a hard!) or wait and discuss it with my doctor this coming Thursday when I have a checkup?

I thought when I made the appointment that I was only going to have to have stent(s) however they found too many clogged arteries.

And if anyone is wondering, I quit smoking almost twenty years ago howver I do have to watch my blood sugar and cholesterol.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
First, I am so glad your doctors caught this and were able to help you!

I have no experience with this, but I seem to recall my uncle who had 5 heart attacks over 6 years that he had to wait 4-6 weeks to have sex. Not sure where j/o falls on that spectrum.

njqt466

happy healing :smile:

OK....I know I need to ask my doctor but wanted input from some of you that may have gone through the same situation.

How long before I can safely have sex (not talking about just using a condom!). I underwent open-heart surgery last week (7 bypasses) and am home now trying to recouperate.

I'm wondering if I can masturbate (assuming I can even get up a hard!) or wait and discuss it with my doctor this coming Thursday when I have a checkup?

Deanpjgardner

Just Browsing
Media
no offense but if your gonna pop your clogs from a crappy heart, then you may as well go out with a bang while you can and get laid! just remember to have you will in order before you get frisky! ;)

jeff black

Expert Member
Media
Now, I am going to say something intelligent.

I would wait until you have the appointment. It's best not to jerk off because the stimulation to your dick could be too much for your heart. Blood pumping etc... I think 4-6 weeks was quoted accurately but to be safe, talk to Doc.:smile:

Onslow

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Your doctor would be better able to answere this since the doctor knows the rest of your medical history such as blood pressure and any meds you may be on and your overall healing process. The time to heal is different from one person to another, you would be best off waiting a few extra days to get the go ahead from your doctor.

monsternmypant

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Take your time. One of my great-uncles died from some coronary event after having sex too soon after bypass surgery (just a triple), and the death nearly killed my great-aunt with guilt for giving it up to him. If you can't hold back for your own sake, think about how your partner would feel knowing that he contributed to your demise.....and, sure, your hand would go with you, but we'd miss you!

rogue_mj

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Sexual activity, including arousal, erection, ejaculation, orgasm, refractory period, and resolution, is in part dependent upon changes in the autonomic nervous system which all affect the heart.

Studies have shown that patients who had sex within two weeks of an uncomplicated heart attack/surgery are at higher risk of another heart attack, those within six weeks are at intermediate risk, and those at more than six weeks are at low risk.

Patients with complications, such as recurrent chest pain, abnormal heart rhythms (arrhythmias), or evidence of heart failure, are at intermediate or high risk at all times unless the problem is corrected.

Early studies, performed during sexual activity in volunteers who were monitored in the laboratory, found the following changes during orgasm

• Peak heart rates were 140 to 180 beats per minute
  • The mean increase in blood pressure was 80/50 mmHg higher than normal
  • Respiratory rates and tidal (breathing) volumes increased significantly, approaching values seen with moderately severe physical exertion
It is said if you can walk up two flights of stairs without chest pain, you are fit for sex.

Masturbation can actually be more energetic than sex itself...... as you use your arm more than the effort you exert using your hips!!!

So after a by-pass.... you are supposed to be "Normal" now due to the surgery, so you should be "low risk"

Its up to you..... 2 weeks is pushing it but may be adequate... but 6 would be the safest.

Rogue_MJ (MD.)