Does a "Gay Gene" exist?

T-Lex

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I once knew a gay guy named Gene, and he did, in fact, exist. So I can conclusively say that a gay Gene does exist.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I hate hearing about these studies. I honestly hope they don't find a gay gene. If they find that a gay gene does exist whose to say people won't start testing for it inutero. Then people will start aborting babies just because they are gay!

Sound silly? India is having a problem because there are not enough marriageable females to go around. I don't mean that the guys are picky and don't think the girls are hot enough. In India sex-selection abortion is quite common. Since boys are preferred, girls are aborted.

It's a choice that a person is addicted.
i don't think a person can choose what is sexually attractive to them.
You are wrong on the first statement and correct on the second.

It's a choice you make just like an alcoholic starts with his first drink. If he didn't drink he would not be an alcoholic.
IMHO gwr1349 you sir are a moron. First off alcoholism is a disease, secondly no one chooses to be gay anymore than I chose to be straight. :tongue::mad:

D_Mansworthy Meatwrench III

Experimental Member
Media
Hey Lex, isn't gay Gene down on 6th, or is it 7th Ave? Don't tell me you met him in San Francisco man, that is just wrong.........

Watch! I have just made a choice to drink another cup of coffee! Damn YOU Maxwell House, you have mutated my genes! (Call the FDA!)

I will also KEEP making the choice to not do guys. Wow, the same choice I made long ago............not hard. I will keep making the choice to bang really hot hookers though..........right up until LE comes and gets me!

(I will bitch to the judge about Hooker Environmental Factors though, you just watch, I will do that too, good enough for you, damn sure is for me)

And the only Gay Genes I ever met was those new Levi's these young dudes wear all the time, makes you think they are into Gay Jeans.

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
Hey Lex, isn't gay Gene down on 6th, or is it 7th Ave? Don't tell me you met him in San Francisco man, that is just wrong.........

Watch! I have just made a choice to drink another cup of coffee! Damn YOU Maxwell House, you have mutated my genes! (Call the FDA!)

I will also KEEP making the choice to not do guys. Wow, the same choice I made long ago............not hard. I will keep making the choice to bang really hot hookers though..........right up until LE comes and gets me!

(I will bitch to the judge about Hooker Environmental Factors though, you just watch, I will do that too, good enough for you, damn sure is for me)

And the only Gay Genes I ever met was those new Levi's these young dudes wear all the time, makes you think they are into Gay Jeans.
Why are you straight? Surely you didn't choose to be that. Surely your brain didn't make a decision to lust after girls? Surely your genetic coding has nothing to do with liking pussy.

dreamer20

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
And if you want Science, let's bust off the Natural Selection theory and go a step further with it.

If you don't procreate, you die. Pretty simple concept. In fact, the only Genus to not exhibit that to some degree is: HUMANS
Every OTHER species is self-correcting in that area.

And the only Humans that don't truly advance life by making it is: Gays

Let's go on down the line and do this: In the old days, you were gay, you got killed, some will still happily do so....

Is that what you meant by a species self-correcting itself kingdonglingus?
Because there is no procreation those individuals should be killed?

By that same argument The R.C.C.'s priests, monks and nuns should be added to the extermination list.

Jayroo

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I think that some people replying here seem to get confused on the act of homosexuality being dependant on a gene versus simply being homosexual...

It also makes me wonder about their definition of 100% straightness.

Extremecummer

Sexy Member
Cammer
Media
Vincennes, Indiana, United States of America (the)
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Wow, that guy who says being gay is a CHOICE needs to spend four decades being around gay men, sitting in guesthouses, over a drink, at supper. Every time the subject has come up the answer is the same ... "No, I was born this way." The sooner we get rid of the ages-old thought that being gay is a choice, we can move on from there. I wonder how most straight men would answer this question: "Do you know the exact date you woke up and decided to be straight the rest of your life?"
Dennis

eddyabs

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I needed to reply to this, it is quite hard to decipher, but it offended me, I ain't no flag waver or banner carrier, but I am proud of who I AM, I know myself, and I hope that there are other gay men and women who are with me. I think that this is such an important point for all gay people, making gay sexuality a matter of choice only leads to the ease of discrimination and penalisation. My sexuality was never a choice, I can tell you that with all that I am and hope to be, it is inherently, naturally, and spiritually just who I am.

And if you want Science, let's bust off the Natural Selection theory and go a step further with it.
If you don't procreate, you die. Pretty simple concept. In fact, the only Genus to not exhibit that to some degree is: HUMANS
Every OTHER species is self-correcting in that area.

Actually, you are incorrect, although not conclusively known yet, it is widely accepted that homosexuality does exist in all mammalian species. Also, we all die, many heterosexuals die childless, and contrary to your opinion, many homosexuals and lesbians do father children, and there you will find the only 'choice' in your argument.

As a gay male, my earliest memory of attraction was towards a male, at around the age of 5 years old. I can tell you with utmost clarity, that I did not choose to be gay. I was born this way, as was my brother, and to my knowledge all of my gay brethren.

Let's go on down the line and do this: In the old days, you were gay, you got killed (some will still happily do so).

Your script is hard to decipher, are you around 10 years old? But I can understand this point, and I'm happy that you decided to show everyone your very real and dangerous ignorance. Do you have Nazi affiliations? (Just a question).

But if things changed back, and there were tighter societal and cultural rules with less leeway towards aberrant sexual behaviour (like the churches having more power), you would NOT be gay anymore than you would have been Jewish during WW2. But I can guarantee it was a CHOICE you would have died for THEN, not now.

Believe it or not, I would die for being who I am, I
was born that way. What I believe in is a choice, I choose to believe... but who I am, who WE are, that is where we come to the real argument about nature and genetics.

I didn't choose to be hazel eyed, or brown haired, or look the way I do ...do I really need to explain myself!

(is this a bad dream~?)

*sigh*

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It's a choice you make just like an alcoholic starts with his first drink. If he didn't drink he would not be an alcoholic.
The genetric structure tells who are. There is a difference in this structure between a gay person and straight person. The Alchoholic also has a different gene present. Not to compare being Gay to Alcoholism. Alcoholism is an illness. Being gay is not. So when you say choices a gay person has no choices. If they want to live a true life they are only being who they are and how they were born. Take two men. One alcoholic. One gay. If the one never has a drink and the other never has sex one will be Gay and the other an Alcoholic. Its our genetic make up of who we are when were born and this structure will be the same when we die

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
It is not a choice. If it were, many gay youth would not choose it. They would not kill themselves over the rejection of their family and society. The only choice once you are gay is to live a lie or not.
Who would choose it? I like being gay, but if I was str8 I would like being str8.

frizzle

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Pansexual
It is not a choice. If it were, many gay youth would not choose it. They would not kill themselves over the rejection of their family and society. The only choice once you are gay is to live a lie or not.
Who would choose it? I like being gay, but if I was str8 I would like being str8.

But then if homosexuality was truely acceptable in the same terms as hetrosexuality was; would that statement be true?

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
But then if homosexuality was truely acceptable in the same terms as hetrosexuality was; would that statement be true?

It would still not be a choice.

When and why did you choose to be attracted to women?

frizzle

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Pansexual
Probably around puberty because I found them more attractive then men. Again, I don't have to proove why I chose women over men since I believe homosexuality is a choice, you have to prove to me that homosexuality isn't a choice, factually.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Probably around puberty because I found them more attractive then men. Again, I don't have to proove why I chose women over men since I believe homosexuality is a choice, you have to prove to me that homosexuality isn't a choice, factually.

I can't prove it to you.

No sexuality is a choice. The way you react to it is.

You don't choose to be str8, you just are, you don't choose to be gay or bi either, you just are.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight

So you were gay and chose to be str8?

Otherwise you are saying that all people are str8 and some chose to be gay.

You can't have It both ways.

I worked with a co-worker who said that black people came from Evolution and white people came from Adam & Eve. You could not convince him of the stupidity in his argument.

Anyway Frizzle, I think you would have to be gay ("or choose to be gay. as you think") to understand.

simcha

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight

From the bold. When did you make the choice that you were going to be more attracted to women than to men? That decision (if it ever happened) would determine your sexual orientation as heterosexual. Then you made choices to act on your sexual orientation. Of course, by your logic you could have just as easily chose to be homosexual.

Attraction not action determines sexual orientation. I want to hear when you chose to be attracted to women thus choosing to be a heterosexual. Once you have done that you have the right to attempt to draw a parallel to others who are homosexual. But it's quite relevant to the discussion to ask how you chose to be attracted to women instead of men because you are asserting that some men choose to be attracted to men instead of women.

Without responding to every point above, your argument holds no ground.