Does a "Gay Gene" exist?

JumboCannon

Just Browsing
Media
The whole problem with this line of argument is the simplistic notion that most people hold with regard to how genes function. Our preferences, sexual and otherwise, are an amalgamation of brain-wiring, brain/body chemistry, and experiential/developmental cues. Therefore, it is too simplistic to say that there is a single gene which determines gayness just as it is too simplistic to say that there is a specific choice as to what any one person finds sexually attractive.* Otherwise, we would have the potential for latex fetish genes or scat consumption choice.

That being said, I tentatively support the hypothesis that same-sex attraction can have a genetic component (but probably not a single, specific gene), since it appears to run in families. I also support the hypothesis that there are differences in brain structure between true heterosexuals (not closeted self-loathers) and true homosexuals (not closeted self-loathers). All of the rest of us who fall somewhere between the two extremes probably have some elements of both

Finally, I have to wonder why some people make such hay over the choice issue. Is homosexuality and bisexuality less offensive to you if there is no biological basis for it?

*For example, I never sat down one day and said, "I am going to find black hair, brown eyes, and Mediterranean complexion the most attractive combination on women." Not even close. And yet, over the years of puberty and beyond, those are exactly the attributes that I found the most attractive.

frizzle

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Pansexual

PS.....'you' haven't found a straight gene either.....

That's true, because there isn't one. Again, nuture not nature.

I think they located the ignorant gene though.

I think they located a stupid cunt who has nothing to offer to the thread. Well nothing new there.

That made me laugh. I'm 44 not 14. As if I'd worry about something like that.:rolleyes:

Just remember the three S's Davey.

Frizzle, I'll add my 2 cents here also. You aren't making any sense! Your ideas fly in the face of logic. You can't really argue your ideas, because you know, deep down, that they don't hold water. I think you need to take a good long deep look at yourself and make SURE that your opinions are not borne of some repressed sexual longings of your own. Those longings may be skewing your brain's ability to reason and to listen to what many many of us are saying:

I DID NOT CHOOSE TO BE ATTRACTED - sexually, spiritually, physically, emotionally - TO MEN!

Frizzle is not the only one. I can't believe people on THIS board could be so very closed-minded about this!

Frizzle - your response to the question about when did YOU choose heterosexuality was answered, by you, with a 'around puberty.' WOW! Tons of information there. Really helped us get some deep insight into the workings of your mind & sexuality. :rolleyes: The reason you can't specify when it occurred is because it DID NOT OCCUR! You didn't have a choice about being attracted to whatever it is you're attracted to.

How can you assert that I did!?

dP

I stopped reading after the red text. The stereotypical gay person's response that we're all in the closet. Get over yourself.

And you haven't disproven anything. And you haven't proven that "natural instinct" would make someone heterosexual. Dude, you can't have it both ways. If you chose heterosexuality, then you could have just as easily have chosen homosexuality. Since that's very absurd, you're argument means nothing and you still have proven nothing.

Natural instinct is of course hetrosexuality, if it was homosexuality all animals would have died out by now. Biological Basis of Sex Appeal

The whole point of being here in a naturist term is stay alive and pass on our genes. If there was a homosexuality gene that obviously wouldn't work, going against our even most basic aims.

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media

If that were a word it would be an anagram for untrue. I love solving word puzzles.:smile:

Natural instinct is of course hetrosexuality, if it was homosexuality all animals would have died out by now.
Your natural instinct is heterosexuality. For others it is bisexuality, homosexuality and the asexual who lacks such instincts. The desire to have children is another matter. Regardless of sexuality we have the will to decide whether or not to have children unlike the lower evolutionary species that are subject to the sexual dictates of hormones. Higher evolutionary lifeforms characteristically have diverse sexualities and experience sexual pleasure unlike the lower lifeforms.

Bisexuality has historically been a part of intimate relationships and social bonding in many ancient societies and is still present as the norm in numerous primitive tribes e.g. of Indonesia & New Guinea.

You could say from a religious standpoint, for example, "that sex is meant for procreation and not mere pleasure". But not from an evolutionary standpoint as we have figured out how to procreate without sex at our present stage of evolution.

The whole point of being here in a naturist term is stay alive and pass on our genes. If there was a homosexuality gene that obviously wouldn't work, going against our even most basic aims.

Nature has made persons with genes that if passed on would cause their progeny to have severe birth defects, fatal degenerative conditions, develop cancer (e.g. retinoblastoma) and other disorders. These genes exist although they go against your "most basic aims".

Spina Bifida - March of Dimes

In light of those former genes working I see no reason why a homosexuality gene wouldn't work.

A naturist is a person who likes to be nude BTW.:smile:

deepwader

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Yes there is definitely a gay gene: you can taste it in a gay man's semen. I CAN PROVE THIS, FRIZ - just head round to my place, fuck my mouth till you cum, and I will then be able to report to the whole group whether you are gay or not.

I mean this in a HELPFUL way, Friz xxx

eddyabs

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
You still haven't proven that a gay gene exists though have you?

and I say again.....AND YOU STILL HAVEN'T PROVED THAT A HETEROSEXUAL GENE EXISTS EITHER!!!!

Natural instinct is of course hetrosexuality, if it was homosexuality all animals would have died out by now. Biological Basis of Sex Appeal

Nice to see you've been doing your homework as I suggested...keep it up.

As for the Homosexuality gene, as I have ALREADY said, like the Heterosexual gene, it has yet to be found, so WE WILL SEE.

Until then, there is no point in bashing my head against a brick wall with a closeted Nazi teenboy.

Ciao.

eddyabs

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Yes there is definitely a gay gene: you can taste it in a gay man's semen. I CAN PROVE THIS, FRIZ - just head round to my place, fuck my mouth till you cum, and I will then be able to report to the whole group whether you are gay or not.

I mean this in a HELPFUL way, Friz xxx

LOL.....Man, I wouldn't touch his dick with a 10 yard ciabatta. I'd rather suck Barbara Cartland's minge. (yeh..I know she's dead).

frizzle

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Pansexual
Way to prove your points. Oh just for your Eddy, I don't believe in a straight gene, yet for some reason your pre-deposited insight on my personal feelings are right aren't they?

Maybe you should stop being so emotional over an issue, maybe that build up of estrogen is making you weep? I don't know, don't really care. Basically, if scientists do find a gay gene, it's all gravy baby.

Now get over yourself you twisted fuck, and whilst you do, I'll be down the pub watching the final.

Oh and deepwader, I wouldn't turn gay for a dick that's small as yours anyway.

deepwader

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
oh come on Ed - Friz is 19 so don't be mean. As for Nazi - well, he is very welcome to wear his uniform for the purposes of my genetic tests.

I actually think it is fairly mean of ME to make fun like this. I think Friz is completely straight just as some people are completely gay and he is probably a bit wound up by gay guys trying constantly to probe for a tiny gay percentage in his sexuality. Let's admit it - we CAN be persistent! and Friz - we do it because you have a gorgeous cock, great body and (I remember from when you used to show it to us) a very handsome face. He might wind DOWN a bit if we stopped yanking his chain.

I actually don't care if my sexual predisposition is genetic or acquired as long as no-one wants to do anything horrible to me for it -- and I don't think Friz is in the "send them to the concentration camp" gang. Yet. Sadly, I don't think [EDIT: IAM AM SURE HE DOESN'T] he wants to do anything at all to me! When he is older he will not care so much about guys coming on to him; and when he is a LOT older, he will see it for the flattery it is.

Kiss and make up, Friz?

Or just make up, maybe???

eddyabs

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Way to prove your points. Oh just for your Eddy, I don't believe in a straight gene, yet for some reason your pre-deposited insight on my personal feelings are right aren't they?

Maybe you should stop being so emotional over an issue, maybe that build up of estrogen is making you weep? I don't know, don't really care. Basically, if scientists do find a gay gene, it's all gravy baby.

Now get over yourself you twisted fuck, and whilst you do, I'll be down the pub watching the final.

Oh and deepwader, I wouldn't turn gay for a dick that's small as yours anyway.

I'm a Rugby man too, I'll be watching. And a life long Arsenal supporter.

If scientist find a gay gene, then you'll find you were wrong.....and as for your feelings about female hormones being present in my blood stream, Frizzle.....gay men don't have ovaries, ...hope that clears that up for you.

....oh and it's Oestrogen

It's all gravy baby.

Enjoy the final...

COME ON ENGLAND!

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
...The whole point of being here in a naturist term is stay alive and pass on our genes. If there was a homosexuality gene that obviously wouldn't work, going against our even most basic aims.
Totally wrong, frizzle. There are species that have asexual members, such as drone bees. How do you explain their continued existence? Also, in many pack species, only the alpha male is allowed to reproduce. Since the alpha male is determined by physical and mental superiority, you can see how this would speed up natural selection of the best genes. It has been proposed that a tendency towards homosexuality in those who are not allowed access to the females in the pack is a trait that would increase harmony and cooperation in the group.

In many species evolution is all about propagating the genes of the group, not the individual. As such, statements about an individual's behavior not being natural cannot be made on the grounds of evolution. Humans are one of those species.

Also, there are over a thousand species we know of that exhibit some percentage of homosexuality in their population.

ebjay

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
So little time, so much misinformation. I'll cut frizz a break because he is a kid. He's basically repeating what he was taught in his family of origin, like most young people. That's an observation, not a criticism. I wish more 19 year olds would at least engage on these questions, regardless of their views. Although my overall observation is most young people could care less whether others are gay or straight, which is really encouraging.

Another take on the same question:

Is it Learned or Biological?

He is a highly respected psychologist here in the Bay Area. If it doesn't make you think, you probably are wasting your time on this topic.

eddyabs

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
So little time, so much misinformation. I'll cut frizz a break because he is a kid. He's basically repeating what he was taught in his family of origin, like most young people. That's an observation, not a criticism. I wish more 19 year olds would at least engage on these questions, regardless of their views. Although my overall observation is most young people could care less whether others are gay or straight, which is really encouraging.

Another take on the same question:

Is it Learned or Biological?

He is a highly respected psychologist here in the Bay Area. If it doesn't make you think, you probably are wasting your time on this topic.

I think that for most gay people, though undeniably useful, this essay only states the obvious and already known....if you read back through this thread I think you'll find that much has been already said that is stated here ebjay.

But for younger people, or people who don't have any contact with gay people, be it through choice or not, I believe this article would be very enlightening for them.

It all helps.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
One of the unspoken things lingering in this thread like a bad fart is that there is something naturally abhorrent about homosexuality.

Anyone who posts that they'd never willingly choose to be gay is as guilty of this mindset as someone who states that it is unnatural and counterproductive to procreation (as if that's all we're here for).

Break out of your collective shame, guilt, judgmental small-mindedness and other simplistic thinking patterns. Embrace who you are and accept that the life you were born to lead is different from that of your neighbor...not better nor worse, just different.

Diversity is perhaps the one thing we can show with certainty is part of nature's plan and design, no?

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
One of the unspoken things lingering in this thread like a bad fart is that there is something naturally abhorrent about homosexuality.

Anyone who posts that they'd never willingly choose to be gay is as guilty of this mindset as someone who states that it is unnatural and counterproductive to procreation (as if that's all we're here for).

Break out of your collective shame, guilt, judgmental small-mindedness and other simplistic thinking patterns. Embrace who you are and accept that the life you were born to lead is different from that of your neighbor...not better nor worse, just different.

Diversity is perhaps the one thing we can show with certainty is part of nature's plan and design, no?
I think the reason for the upheaval is because we are proud. It's not a bad thing, it's a blessing. I'd never for a second choose to be straight.

B_Italian1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
If we find a gay gene I’ll believe that people are born gay, but until then it’s my opinion that it’s a choice. I’m not saying it’s the type of choice you can make overnight. It’s something more gradual, spread over time, and there are a lot of factors involved in it.

We’re not born with a love of coffee. You might think it taste gross at 5 years old, but by 18 you may have acquired a taste for it and have to have it every day. The same can be true for just about anything.

When a baby is born, he/she does not eat food right away. A baby starts with milk and formula and then works up to food. Then they start to make sounds and eventually words. A child doesn’t learn to write until they learn how to make letters first. We don’t go from 12th grade to 1st grade. Everything has a certain rhythm and schedule.

Years ago you found out what sex your baby was when he or she was born. Modern technology now allows us to know the sex of our baby in utero. Some parents will elect to destroy their own flesh and blood because it’s not the sex they want. I think that’s wrong.

If a gay gene is found and technology is developed to know whether your child is going to be gay or straight, parents could abort their own flesh and blood if they didn’t want a gay child. I consider that just as wrong. It’s like trying to make a designer baby.

According to the University of Utah study, a gene switch can alter the sexual orientation of worms. But the scientific director, Erik Jorgensen, stated: "A human's brain is much more complex than a worm's brain," he said.

The article also states, “Many scientists think a host of factors such as genetics, hormones and environment may play a role in determining sexual orientation in humans, but this has not been proven.”

link:
Gene switch altered sex orientation of worms | Oddly Enough | Reuters

What if we could alter human genes? We could change many other things besides our sexuality.

Here's a link to a poll and it's obviously not scientific:

http://www.lpsg.org/53338-poll-for-gay-men-only.html

The results may change now since I just posted it, but as of 10/31/07, only 59.02% of gays are saying were born that way. I would think it would be higher. 11.48% say early experiences and upbringing. 24.59% say a combination of born with and upbringing/early experiences. And 4.92% say other.

And where do bisexuals fit into this? Could there be a bi gene?