Does any else have contentious relationship with your parent(s)

D_Ellerby Eatsprick

Experimental Member
Media
well I hope you don't forget aboutyour dad cus of your mom

Its hard with my dad too because I've never actually had a conversation with him. Not sure if it has to do with my being deaf or not. (He has never learned sign language to talk to me, so sometimes I have a hard time understanding what he is saying.) I've tried to talk to him about things but everything seems so forced or patronized. We've never sat down to talk about the meaning of life or the importance of greasing a door or stories about his childhood or his family. Etc...

I might distance myself from my parents but I won't completely block them out of my life. Its just that my mom has a sister, who has two daughters and they are all best friends with each other and share intimate details about their lives with their mom. So I guess she sees that and desires for the same but unfortunate, that is NOT me at all, nor is it something I want.

Last edited:

D_Ellerby Eatsprick

Experimental Member
Media
I don't think anyone ever sees what I see, and that is very frustrating
especially when it happens online and I can't reach out and choke them until they profess agreement even if they think I am wrong

Not because you said it, but I do think your uncle needs to move on...

I've tried to talk to close friends about the "issues" I have with my family. And they just don't have much to say about it, not that I want them to say "Oh you poor baby", but you know - give advice or word of wisdom.

Smooth88

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Its hard with my dad too because I've never actually had a conversation with him. Not sure if it has to do with my being deaf or not. (He has never learned sign language to talk to me, so sometimes I have a hard time understanding what he is saying.) I've tried to talk to him about things but everything seems so forced or patronized. We've never sat down to talk about the meaning of life or the importance of greasing a door or stories about his childhood or his family. Etc...

I might distance myself from my parents but I won't completely block them out of my life. Its just that my mom has a sister, who has two daughters and they are all best friends with each other and share intimate details about their lives with their mom. So I guess she sees that and desires for the same but unfortunate, that is NOT me at all, nor is it something I want.

Wow are you completely deaf or just partially deaf?

D_Ellerby Eatsprick

Experimental Member
Media
Wow are you completely deaf or just partially deaf?

Technically and scientifically, we don't measure deafness based on "complete" or "partial". I'm profoundly deaf which is as close as it gets to "completely deaf"

Our level of hearing is based on the degree of hearing loss which is measured based on decibels and frequency.

Hearing loss is as follows:
-10 to 25 dB : normal hearing
25 to 40 dB – mild hearing loss​
40 to 70 dB – moderate hearing loss
70 to 90 – severe hearing loss
90 to 110 – profound hearing loss

-10 to 70 dB is whispering and conversational level. For me, I hear none of that unless I wear a hearing aid. With a hearing aid I hear almost "normal", but without a hearing aid, I hear nothing. A hearing aid does aid in enhancing the level / quality of sounds but doesn't do anything to help comprehend spoken words or sounds. There's a HUGE different between hearing a sound and comprehending the sound.

My hearing loss is severe that I do not hear anything more less than 90-110 decibels. I might be able to hear a loud jet plane or if I was placed right next to a speaker at a concert.

Sorry to get all geeky here.