Does anyone else hate being called 'Dude'?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by gordeux2006, Dec 4, 2007.

1. gordeux2006

gordeux2006 Member

Albums:
    I really object to being called Dude? :cool:I don't know why but the term just really pisses me off. I checked in my Collins Australian English Dictionary;
    Dude:(US) n. tourist, esp. in ranch district: Dude ranch; ranch serving as a guesthouse and showplace.
    I've never been a tourist in a US ranch district, whatever that is or stayed at a dude ranch.
    How did 'Dude' become so popular?

2. B_henry miller

B_henry miller New Member

I love being called "dude." I also love being called "man." I love it when guys say, "Thanks, man," or, "hey, man," or "hey, dude." I love anything that communicates affection between men and emphasizes our mutual masculinity at the same time. So fuckin' beautiful that I could cry.

3. hotpony501

hotpony501 New Member

Albums:
    Don't hate being called dude as much as I do "buddy" by guys I don't even know.

4. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

I don't mind being called dude, but it's a bit odd, being of the female variety. I have a male friend that calls everyone "dude". :smile:

5. goodwood

Gold Member

Albums:
    gordeaux -
    Being referenced as "dude" is somewhat alarming. I concur. However it has become so prevelant within the last couple of years I have had to reconcile myself to its widespread use.
    I was out and about (incognito no less) and a mate spotted me and called out from a block away "DUDE!"
    I ignored him and continued on my way but he would not let it go and so I met with him.
    Fast forward, I encounter many younger guys who do not respond unless or until I call out "DUDE!"/
    I will speak their name or say "hey" and no response until "DUDE". Then they respond at once.
    I don't know what to say. Good thread.

6. Principessa

Gold Member

While your dictionary is technically correct, I was under the impression dude was short for surfer dude i.e. a tanned, athletically built, handsome man. I think sometime during the early 80's it became commonly accepted to address all men as dude when in a casual setting.

There are some that think dude could be applied to women...it can't. That's why dudette came into being, I suspect a take off on Smurfette but I may be wrong. :rolleyes:

That said, I really don't think there is any reason to be upset or offended when one calls you a dude.

Mother Tongue Annoyances
    Dude Salon

7. Jovial

Gold Member

Albums:
    I don't mind being called dude, but I thought it was more popular 15-20 years ago. Not sure of the exact origins of the word but the first places I look arewikipedia and urbandictionary.

8. sjprep06

sjprep06 New Member

Albums:
    I don't mind being called it but I just think it's one of the dumbest, annoying and most overused words, especially among younger guys. I never really hear girls saying it unless they want to emphasize something.

9. Jovial

Gold Member

Albums:
    Dude?

10. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

I have no problem with it. I never use the word too much in saying hello or any other way. I think the term is generally meant in a good way.

11. sjprep06

sjprep06 New Member

Albums:
    Dude, brah :rolleyes:

12. Meniscus

Gold Member

Funny this should come up. I was thinking about it just yesterday. No, I don't like being called "dude" and I never use the word. Fortunately, it's mostly used my younger guys and not too much by my peers. I only have one friend who overuses it a lot, and I have replied before with, "I'm not your 'dude'." I think next time I might reply with "Same my name, bitch." That's uncharacteristic enough of me that it might get his attention.

When a younger man calls me "dude" I just glare at him over my glasses. Some catch on pretty quick that I think it's a too informal way to address me, others are oblivious.

13. Blocko

Blocko Member

Actually, a while ago a friend and I did an investigation into the origins of the word (this was in the days before google). I can't seem to find any current verification, but apparently in medieval times, dude and punk were both terms referring to a catamite.

14. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

Your a cool dude:cool:

15. D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah

D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah Account Disabled

Its one of my favourite words along with awesome

16. D_Geffarde Phartsmeller

"Baby" is a 10000000000 times worse than "dude" in my opinion. Oh dear god I hate it. Hate hate hate when people are trying to be all cutesy and call me baby. "Oh yeah that's hot, baby" or "Baby, I want you to do blah blah blah to me". I'm twentyfuckingfive! Instantly kills any mood.

17. Meniscus

Gold Member

Baby, baby, baby...you are my voodoo child, my voodoo child...

YouTube - Rogue Traders - Voodoo Child

OK, that was sort of random and off-topic, but it's nearly 3:00 a.m. and the brain ain't working too good.

18. Stretch

Stretch New Member

lol with hotpony. yeah...being called "buddy" by somebody you don't know is right up there with "kiddo". Dude, buddy. kiddo, etc. are obviously more a reflection of where the person using them are coming from then anything you're about. Actually in the States I always felt "Dude" was more of a west coast word as opposed to "Man" on the east coast, except maybe Florida. :smile: Probably having to do with njqt's surfer theory.

19. silvertriumph2

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    NO, I don't really mind being called Dude, since I equate it with a form of male expression indicating friendship or comradery. It seems to have been around for a long time, so I'm not sure if it has an age connotation connected with it. I hear both the young and some older people using it.
    I have been known to use it myself, on occasion.

Being called Man, or Boy, or Guy, or Babe, or Sweetheart is just plain rude!
    I'ts just as bad as "Hey You!"

I dislike being called Buddy if it is made by someone I don't know or know very slightly. It just seems to familiar. I also don't like to be called Fella
    which is how you call dogs where I come from!

But, being called Buddy by a friend is really nice.

20. Big en

Big en New Member

Albums:

I hate dude and mate :biggrin1:

Draft saved Draft deleted