Does Anyone Feel Bad For This Guy?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by finsuptx, Dec 28, 2009.

1. finsuptx

finsuptx New Member

An American citizen willfully crossed from China into North Korea and got captured. North Korea is an isolated country and the crossing was certainly illegal. I hope the U.S. Government, especially the State Department doesn't mount another miraculous Bill Clinton rescue, as the man plainly should not have been there, and he knew ahead of time what he was doing was wrong and illegal.

Let the NK's do what they will with invaders, but don't spend my tax dollars even checking on his well-being.

Does anyone feel bad for this guy?

North Korea says U.S. man arrested for illegal entry | Reuters

I don't.

2. joyboytoy79

Gold Member

Albums:
    I feel sorry for him because i think he's in need of some mental help.

That said, I don't disagree with his cause. The Dear Leader is a tyrant. A dangerous tyrant. He oppresses his people, who starve, while he feasts.

Mr. Park is North Korean. I wonder if he still has family there. Obviously, he was driven by more than some sense of Christian duty. We know, from the actions of people here, in the United States, that a sense of Christian duty is more often than not an excuse to do something, rather than a reason. I suspect we'll find out more details in the coming days.

3. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

4. midlifebear

Gold Member

Yet another example of christian compassion. LOL!:biggrin1:

5. D_Sir Fitzwilly Wankheimer III

me either.

6. D_Kaye Throttlebottom

I am all for retrieving him and giving him the bill to pay off...the rest of his life. Some lessons have to be learned the hard way. Thus far it says he went in illegally and Bill Clinton retrieved those two journalists, b/c they say they were NOT in NK territory - NK says otherwise and I don't put it past NK to make a bs claim to be provocative - like overstepping their borders and saying they were trespassing.

7. D_Fortumus Wigglesack

of course i feel bad for the guy. even if that is a ridiculously stupid thing he did. i guess only people with a conscience would understand though

8. D_Fortumus Wigglesack

Besides, i'd rather my tax dollars go to helping someone than killing someone over natural resources.

9. B_dxjnorto

B_dxjnorto New Member

I don't know. He may be unbalanced. But some of the people who have changed the course of history were thought to be unbalanced in their time. To oppose culture is often thought to be a sign of mental illness even if the culture is ill.

10. dj30905

dj30905 New Member

Albums:
    While he may feel it was his Christian duty to spread love, he still crossed into another sovereign nation unannounced and illegally. If he entered legally, and then tried to spread gospel and nothing more, I'd feel differently.

Carrying a letter asking for a country's leader to step down may also not be the brightest thing to do. While he did it for the best intentions, he still went about it wrong. Therefore, no, I don't feel sorry for him.

11. dj30905

dj30905 New Member

Albums:
    I know we should feel compassion for others, but at the same time, I also FIRMLY believe that we humans need a good ol' fashioned natural predator to help weed out some of the not-so-smart ones of the bunch. Here's an example:

There are 10 people on an island, and two of those are not quite bright. This island also has, say, a scary pack of wolves. When 8 people are running away in one direction and two go the other way to investigate, then they deserve to be eaten, as they may also be a hindrance to the survival of the other 8. While I, as another human being, may feel sorry for those two people I still feel that it is for the best.

12. B_cloverboy

B_cloverboy New Member

I think human beings as a species have moved far past simply the survival of the fittest individual alone, certainly it plays its role though. If it really were survival of the fittest then we would not see the kind of structured society we have today. One of the greatest advantages our species has as a whole is our capabilities to interact and help each other, thus increase the overall fitness of the population. Reaching out and helping this man is the kind of mentality which keeps us strong, as communities, countries and as a species.

I would agree, we may feel sorry for people, and it is a natural feeling which gives us a compulsion to help them. I'd argue that this natural urge to help others is what has made humans great, in the end isn't helping others what is really "for the best"?

13. dj30905

dj30905 New Member

Albums:
    To a certain extent, survival of the fittest applies to individuals and to the species. I have this point of view: Although we strive to survive as an individual, we must also strive to survive as a species. Sometimes survival as an inidividual may also be the underlying cause to help the rest of society. Anyways, I do agree that compassion is a wonderful thing. He may have gone over there out of compassion, but on the other hand, he did go in there illegally. I'd actually stand behind him 100% if he would have at least 1) entered legally and 2) not carried a note asking for the dictator to step down. To go to another place and spread compassion is not the issue, but to go about it recklessly is another thing.

edit: As for survival of our species, it also depends on survival of the smartest of the bunch. Those fit idividuals combined is what determines our species survival.

#13 dj30905, Jan 2, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  14. StrictlyAvg

StrictlyAvg Member

Hmmm, he seems to be after martyrdom of a kind, being of N.Korean origin. Whether you feel he deserves sympathy, admiration, mudslinging or "duh, of course that was gonna happen" depends on your point of view on the cause he's trying to raise awareness of - and of martyrdom itself.

Plenty of people have sacrificed themselves nobly for the greater good in the name of causes that have brought about changes in our society we now take for granted; more power to us because of them. But there have also been some misguided and in some cases downright evil causes that people have thrown their weight behind too.

Mr Park has put himself in a position where he will play little further part in furthering the cause he's dedicated himself to though.

#14 StrictlyAvg, Jan 2, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  15. B_cloverboy

B_cloverboy New Member

When I was speaking about the urge to help others I was talking less about his compassion and more about ours, and our willingness to act on it. Yes, he did something foolish because he thought it was right or beneficial to our world/species. I am of the view that helping him, as with helping anyone, is right and beneficial in that we grow in our compassion as a group. The reason I'm pointing out our compassion over his is because he was being a bit foolish, but are we being foolish in wanting to save well intentioned fool?

16. dj30905

dj30905 New Member

Albums:
    I totally understand compassion from both sides. But I wouldn't think that if we saved the well intended fool it would really good in all cases. Depends on the scenario. He said he didn't want any help from America, he was carrying the note, and knowingly crossing into NK illegally. As mentioned above, he also comes off as being a martyr, so I honestly say let him get whatever happens. I also feel that the road to hell was paved with good intentions. Good intentions can also cloud the minds of fools and make situations pretty nasty if left unchecked. As for right now, a foolish international incident with NK (given our little pissing match over nukes) isn't the best thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted