Does Finasteride Stunt Penis Growth?

Gnobe

Just Browsing
Media
Hi,

I'm a 20 year old male who recently noticed for the first time in two years that his penis is beginning to grow again (was about 8.25 in length, now it's closing in on 8.5). In addition, I'm beginning to grow quite a large number of hairs on my chest too (which was something I wasn't expecting), so it's quite obvious even at 20 I'm still in puberty.

On friday, I'm about to be prescribed a hair loss drug called Proscar (finasteride) and I know of most of it's potential side effects but one thing I'm not sure is whether or not it has the potential to stunt penis growth.

Does anyone know if this is the case as I sincerely hope not as I'm delighted that my cock is still growing even at my age and I want it to reach to it's maximum size by the time I stop puberty.

abvavrg

Just Browsing
Media
Here is what I do know:

Finasteride is a 5-alpha-reductase inhibitor, which means it blocks an enzyme that converts testosterone into dihydrotestosterone. DHT binds testosterone receptors with more affinity than regular old testosterone and is considered the more "active" form of the hormone-- and it is DHT that gave you your penis while you were an embryo.

It is also highly involved in development of secondary sex characteristics, like deepening of the voice, and growth of body and facial hair. If I had to hypothesize, I would say that it is also involved in the enlargement of the penis that occurs during puberty.

In taking a 5AR inhibitor, you effectively stop the reduction of testosterone to DHT. (If a woman who is pregnant with a boy were to take Proscar or Propecia, she would probably have a baby girl with a Y chromosome and undescended testes. Crazy, isn't it?) Taking it during puberty, in my not-quite-yet-medical-professional opinion, would be a bad idea.

However, 20 seems really late for puberty, especially this seeming "second" puberty. Honestly, I would talk to your doctor about it--it being the second puberty, secondary to the effects the drug would have-- because it seems highly unusual to me. I would say avoid taking the drug until you've had a face-to-face conversation with a medical professional.

baseball99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
as far as i know i cant think of any side effects related to stunting penis growth. However, at 20, your penis is pretty much grown in length.
Its not uncommon at 20 to still be in puberty. I see patients who at 25 start developing chest hair and men at 30 who still cant grow a full beard. I wouldnt worry too much but call your doctor if you're concerned. Dont really think it has side effects of stunting penis growth but i will check with out PharmD if you want. Also, your penis is more likely to stop growing on its own now

TheSeiF

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
i take Finasteride and so far there have been no side effects..... BTW, my doc sayd that one possible side effect was the reduction of libido, but its not my case at least

Lito

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I've been taking finasteride for about 2 years. Got my hair in place, thanks GOd, and my libido as well.

No stunt penis growth though, but I consider this to be a good thing. I'm quite happy being 7.6"x6"... wouldn't want it any bigger.

Gnobe

Just Browsing
Media
Hi guys thanks for the responses,

My penis has definitley grown over the last month or so, I can remember measuring it quite a few times even as far as a month ago and it would struggle to hit 8.2-8.3 and now only a month later it can hit 8.4 quite comfertabley, plus I've noticed I'm beginning to use two hands when masturbating quite a bit as well.

The growth sput might not be all that big and it might not last up to christmas either but I want to make sure that I am growing to full length since, well just I suppose.:cool:

Looks like I will be on finasteride shortly, hoping it wont give me any sides in any shape or form, and of course stop me from having a receding hairline. :tongue:

I have the doctor's appointment tomorrow (where I pick up the proscar), which is my third regarding hairloss (one of which was a dermatolist appointment). Hopefully things will go well.

Thicckie

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
not too sure about the drug but I'm glad you posted the topic. I'm 20 as well and was hopin that I wasn't quite done growing. Maybe I'll pick back up any day now, I haven't got a full beard, and very little chest hair showing. Even though everone's different maybe I'm like you and will notice some random changes soon, lol

Notbigenuff

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
I can't speak about Finasteride, or even late penile growth spurts (though I can still be jealous of them), but I can assure everyone that body hair for many of us continues to increase into the thirties and beyond. In fact, at some point I discovered that my hair stopped growing on my head and started migrating down my back!

rich-9.8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Why are you worried about losing your hair so much? I continued to grow new body hair from puberty to mid-20s, even after the old man stopped growing. I've been losing hair up top since 19. Just shave it :smile:

DHT is responsible for body hair growth and head hair loss in male pattern baldness. I don't think it would affect penis growth - there haven't been any more growth spurts to accompany the increasing velocity of hair loss. I guess every man wouldn't have a mid-life crisis either, as finding her dick was growing would offset the feeling of getting older.

Riven650

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You already have a lot more penis than most men (or women) dream of, so I don't think you should be concerned if it does stop growing. I have found that my erections are bigger and firmer when I am fit, so I assume that your penis size goes up and down a little with fluctuations in your state of health.

But I agree with rich-9.8 when he asks why worry about hair loss. As I grew up several of my mates started to go bald early. One guy was quite bald on top at 19! But it didn't stop him from attracting women. In fact he was very popular. In the real world, women (and gay guys) do NOT find bald or balding men unattractive. But the the level of self consciousness that drives guys to try to cover up the signs of baldness, that self consciousness is detectable. It comes across as vanity, introvertion, etc. and people find that unattractive.

In my teens I used to have long honey coloured hair down to my shoulders, but I'm grown up now, and the little head hair I have left is grey/white, with the odd hint of it's original colour. I got my wife to buzz it with clippers this morning - she does this for me about once a week. She also had a go at the hair on my shoulders and back :tongue:

All drugs have side effects and really, really should be avoided unless absolutely necessary. 'Treating' male pattern baldness is unnecessary. More important, would be to seek help wit the self image issues that have driven you to consider taking a powerful drug when there is absolutely nothing wrong with you.

baseball99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You already have a lot more penis than most men (or women) dream of, so I don't think you should be concerned if it does stop growing. I have found that my erections are bigger and firmer when I am fit, so I assume that your penis size goes up and down a little with fluctuations in your state of health.

But I agree with rich-9.8 when he asks why worry about hair loss. As I grew up several of my mates started to go bald early. One guy was quite bald on top at 19! But it didn't stop him from attracting women. In fact he was very popular. In the real world, women (and gay guys) do NOT find bald or balding men unattractive. But the the level of self consciousness that drives guys to try to cover up the signs of baldness, that self consciousness is detectable. It comes across as vanity, introvertion, etc. and people find that unattractive.

In my teens I used to have long honey coloured hair down to my shoulders, but I'm grown up now, and the little head hair I have left is grey/white, with the odd hint of it's original colour. I got my wife to buzz it with clippers this morning - she does this for me about once a week. She also had a go at the hair on my shoulders and back :tongue:

All drugs have side effects and really, really should be avoided unless absolutely necessary. 'Treating' male pattern baldness is unnecessary. More important, would be to seek help wit the self image issues that have driven you to consider taking a powerful drug when there is absolutely nothing wrong with you.

kinda strange.....this post kinda made me think about how taking something for hair-loss is shallow yet so many people on this site do penis enlargement.....the major side effect of finasteride for him will be a smaller prostate.....which is good

Gnobe

Just Browsing
Media
Hi guys, thanks for your responses.

I understand most people on here, like most men in real life, aren't bothered about hair loss and that's fine for them. I have only receded a little bit (like a 1/4 of a inch) with still some hairs intact from my original hairline, so it's nothing major and in some cases I'm pleased I've spotted it early.

I feel because I'm only 20 and because I haven't had plenty of experiances with women I want to keep my hair, at least for now till I'm 30 when I've settled down with children etc. Because then IMO it wont matter too much.

Finasteride has sides commen to 2-3% of men. The other 98% normally don't have anything. So in theory it's considered a mild drug, especially when plenty of older men are given 5 times the doses to help with prostate problems and often report no side effects.

baseball99 said:
the major side effect of finasteride for him will be a smaller prostate....which is good

So what your saying is my dick gets smaller?? I've heard of watery semen/lack of it, decreased libido and in RARE cases impotence but that's a new one to me.

If I get any sides I'll be off it right away probably but I want to try it out first.

baseball99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hi guys, thanks for your responses.

I understand most people on here, like most men in real life, aren't bothered about hair loss and that's fine for them. I have only receded a little bit (like a 1/4 of a inch) with still some hairs intact from my original hairline, so it's nothing major and in some cases I'm pleased I've spotted it early.

I feel because I'm only 20 and because I haven't had plenty of experiances with women I want to keep my hair, at least for now till I'm 30 when I've settled down with children etc. Because then IMO it wont matter too much.

Finasteride has sides commen to 2-3% of men. The other 98% normally don't have anything. So in theory it's considered a mild drug, especially when plenty of older men are given 5 times the doses to help with prostate problems and often report no side effects.

So what your saying is my dick gets smaller?? I've heard of watery semen/lack of it, decreased libido and in RARE cases impotence but that's a new one to me.

If I get any sides I'll be off it right away probably but I want to try it out first.

no, i said your prostate will shrink.....i didnt say anything about your penis

greeneyez

Just Browsing
Media
Please do research on hair loss forums before taking this poison. It isn't worth it. You will see that side effects are far more common then 2 - 3%. I experimented twice with it and never will again. Everthing seemed fine for the first few weeks. In fact, I had an increased libido because of the extra amount of free testosterone. Then it all went downhill. My dick actually felt numb and useless. There were no more good erections, no morning wood, semen was a drop or two and the orgasms were so unsatisfying that it was driving me crazy. I was depressed all of the time, but the worst was when I took off my shirt and noticed that my chest was no longer firm, but bordering on feminine looking. So many people have had these exact same sides. You are young and healthy. Propecia can, and I believe eventually will completely mess up your hormones.

For me, all of those sides went away after a week off the pills, but I have read that some never recover completely.

Sexiness comes from inside, not from how much hair you have on the top of your head.

Good luck

Late Knight

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Hi,

I'm a 20 year old male who recently noticed for the first time in two years that his penis is beginning to grow again (was about 8.25 in length, now it's closing in on 8.5). In addition, I'm beginning to grow quite a large number of hairs on my chest too (which was something I wasn't expecting), so it's quite obvious even at 20 I'm still in puberty.

On friday, I'm about to be prescribed a hair loss drug called Proscar (finasteride) and I know of most of it's potential side effects but one thing I'm not sure is whether or not it has the potential to stunt penis growth.

Does anyone know if this is the case as I sincerely hope not as I'm delighted that my cock is still growing even at my age and I want it to reach to it's maximum size by the time I stop puberty.
I didn't reach my full growth until I was your age. Back then I thought it was pretty cool, but now, over the years, my size has cause me to re-think being big. If your modest, you'd understand.

Gnobe

Just Browsing
Media
Hi again people, thanks for some of the replies.

Well I've been on Propecia for about a week nearly and I still get morning wood, but it doesn't seem to be quite as big, maybe the 8" at best rather than the usual 8.5", my flaccid size is the same, but the erection size is worrying. I struggle to get full erections, only ones at around 80-90%. Also noticebly I didn't ejaculate nearly as much the last time as I usually do and I hadn't masturbated in over 48hrs.

Some of it could just be in my head though so I'm going give it a bit more time first before doing anything, not totally alarmed but a wee bit concerned.